Des Moines Officially Cooler Than Omaha

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Des Moines Officially Cooler Than Omaha

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Just kidding.

But, to my utter amazement, they have beaten Omaha to the bike-sharing bandwagon.

Here is the web site.
http://desmoines.bcycle.com/

B Cycle also operates bike share systems in Chicago, Denver, and Louisville.

My guess is that Omaha's reactionary leadership will respond within a year, and we'll have a bike share system of our very own. Again, just as BCBS sponsored the system in DM, one of Omaha's corporate giants could EASILY get this going (I'm looking at you Mutual, UP, ConAgra, and Keiwit!).

Check out the Bike Omaha blog for a few pictures of the dedication ceremony.
http://bikeomaha.blogspot.com
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

If you go to Bcycle's website you can vote to get them to come to your city. Omaha isn't on their map of places with the most votes, but Lincoln is ranked number 83.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Re: Des Moines Officially Cooler Than Omaha

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote: Again, just as BCBS sponsored the system in DM, one of Omaha's corporate giants could EASILY get this going (I'm looking at you Mutual, UP, ConAgra, and Keiwit!).

Why are you always trying to spend other people's money?  If you think this would be successful in Omaha, then go to a bank, get a small business loan, and do it yourself.  Maybe some of us would take you seriously if you took a personal financial risk for your ideas instead of expecting tax payers and big corporations to pay for them.

/Why yes, someone did p!ss in my cornflakes this morning, how did you know? ;)
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

TechnicalDisaster wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote: Again, just as BCBS sponsored the system in DM, one of Omaha's corporate giants could EASILY get this going (I'm looking at you Mutual, UP, ConAgra, and Keiwit!).

Why are you always trying to spend other people's money?  If you think this would be successful in Omaha, then go to a bank, get a small business loan, and do it yourself.  Maybe some of us would take you seriously if you took a personal financial risk for your ideas instead of expecting tax payers and big corporations to pay for them.

/Why yes, someone did p!ss in my cornflakes this morning, how did you know? ;)
That was an unexpected, unnecessary rant. In short answer to your question: Because I'm a poor |expletive| grad student.

Oh, and what a hypocrite. As if you don't benefit infinitely in your daily life from "other people's money." Please. And when did I ever give an indication that I had any interest in being taken seriously by you.

Anyway, back on topic...
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Oh, and what a hypocrite. As if you don't benefit infinitely in your daily life from "other people's money." Please.
I'm not a hypocrite at all, as I don't casually volunteer a private corporation's money to pay for services I want.
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
And when did I ever give an indication that I had any interest in being taken seriously by you.
When you responded.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It's a |expletive| idea! I'm not "volunteering" corporate money. People have ideas all the time that would require investment by people other than themselves. That's how the world works. Plus, the idea behind this is that it would serve a greater good to our community. I'm not sitting here saying, "I really wish UP would buy me a bike."

Furthermore, yes, you are a hypocrite. Better give up your car since in order to drive it you have to use roads built with other people's money. Better pull your money out of the bank because it is guaranteed by the FDIC, a government agency funded by other people's money. Better never set foot in a city, state, or national park. Better not produce any waste that needs to be picked up by the city trash collectors, nor expect to drive your car on cleared roads during the snowy winter. Better not receive any letters through the postal service, or send your kids to a public school (you probably don't anyway).

Our civilization is made possible because we all contribute in the form of taxes, and we are all entitled to the collective benefits of those funds.

I've said it before, but god you're a doushe.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I swear, it's almost like a pre-requisite for eomaha login that the user must be in the prime of a menstruation cycle...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Good one. Anyway, irritability usually occurs in the week prior to the prime of the menstruation cycle. JK :;):
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Furthermore, yes, you are a hypocrite. Better give up your car since in order to drive it you have to use roads built with other people's money. Better pull your money out of the bank because it is guaranteed by the FDIC, a government agency funded by other people's money. Better never set foot in a city, state, or national park. Better not produce any waste that needs to be picked up by the city trash collectors, nor expect to drive your car on cleared roads during the snowy winter. Better not receive any letters through the postal service, or send your kids to a public school (you probably don't anyway).
Taxes are completely different from your expectation that a private corporation should fund your personal life.   I don't ask for private corporations to pay my wheel taxes, trash pickup, stamps, park fees, etc.  I cover those expenses myself.  

I've said it before, but god you're a doushe.
Maybe you can ask a private business to pay for my anger management classes.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm not asking a private business to do |expletive|, and if I was, certainly not for my personal gain as you are trying to suggest. All I said was that it would be extremely easy for some of Omaha's big corporate citizens to give back (as they often do) to the community by sponsoring something like this. Jesus, that's exactly what happened in Des Moines (the point of this thread) with BCBS. Did I pull this notion out of my |expletive|? No.

Did you pull your defensive, inexplicably partisan, obviously predisposed response out of your |expletive|? Yes.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Could you guys please take it outside?  If I want examples of immature behavior I will just watch a few campaign commercials.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm not asking a private business to do |expletive|, and if I was, certainly not for my personal gain as you are trying to suggest. All I said was that it would be extremely easy for some of Omaha's big corporate citizens to give back (as they often do) to the community by sponsoring something like this. Jesus, that's exactly what happened in Des Moines (the point of this thread) with BCBS. Did I pull this notion out of my |expletive|? No.

Did you pull your defensive, inexplicably partisan, obviously predisposed response out of your |expletive|? Yes.
I see.  It's perfectly acceptable to ask corporations to be good citizens, but if anyone asks you to be a good citizen you're "a poor |expletive| grad' student.  Way to live up to the standards you expect others to live by.

You started this thread by chastising Omaha's "reactionary" city leadership and then tried to dump your desires on successful Omaha businesses.  All I want to know is when you plan on offering your resources for the improvements you're seeking.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

From what I've seen known of Streets over the years outside of this forum, I've seen him give a great deal of his own time and resources to these ideas he believes would be good for the city. All he did was say that companies in Omaha couldput money towards something like this here as companies in Des Moines have. It makes little sense to attack someone for sharing an idea that is already common practice.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks, D'Shawn.

In response to TechnicalDisaster... Well, I guess I have no response since your claims are completely unfounded and you've resorted to making things up right out of thin air.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

That sounds like a neat program to incorporate into a city.  Des Moines is cool.  Omaha is cool.  Which one is cooler?  I don't know, and I'm glad they "battle it out", because, in general, I feel it makes them both better cities.  Friendly competition can be healthy!   (This last spring, I went to Des Moines for the weekend, and greatly enjoyed their downtown, and their new green park with all the art sculptures.  Very cool...)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was using the "cooler" terminology in a tongue-in-cheek way because Des Moines beat Omaha to the bikeshare craze. The point is that Omaha is never at the front edge of anything. Things seem to catch on here only after becoming an afterthought to the rest of the country.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I was using the "cooler" terminology in a tongue-in-cheek way because Des Moines beat Omaha to the bikeshare craze. The point is that Omaha is never at the front edge of anything. Things seem to catch on here only after becoming an afterthought to the rest of the country.
I got ya'.  :)

I know what you mean about Omaha, but yet, thankfully, it is a progressive-thinking enough city that whatever "new craze" is happening urban-wise does eventually make its way here (usually).  I just feel Omaha is at pretty much at ease with itself, and isn't desperate to be "cool."  I mean, I think a city should strive to be the best it can be, but there may be a point of "trying too hard" to the point that a city can make itself look insecure, or something.  Don't get me wrong, Omaha definitely has improved greatly working to make the town shinier and slicker, but I feel it has always had a fairly healthy identity to a degree, and has a place on the map, with the College World Series here, Mutual of Omaha, Omaha Steaks, and even Warren Buffett.  So, maybe Omaha has never felt it needed to be on the "cutting edge", because its identity lies in other things?  I'm not sure...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I completely understand.

However, I will say that I believe Omaha has quietly been cultivating a really strong, youthful, entrepreneurial community that has no interest in being mediocre. In time, as boomers retire, these are going to be the people running the city, and I think Omaha has an extremely bright future ahead of it - one in which it may actually be setting the trends that other cities will strive to catch up to.

Just you wait!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I like how you said that... It is exciting.  Just makes me want to go out and buy a "I (Heart) Omaha" coffee mug. (And, a Lincoln one, too, as I feel Lincoln already has that goin' on with the big state University in town.)  :)