Standing Tall In The Midwest

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Standing Tall In The Midwest

Post by RockHarbor »

In the past several years, I've had the opportunity to be in several Midwest cities, including Chicago several times, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Des Moines, and of course, Omaha and Lincoln.  I was also in Wichita and Duluth, and passed through Madison, WI, but didn't get any pics, unfortunately.  I just have an average digital camera, but always snap some shots...  I've learned many of my favorite cities in the country are right here, in the Midwest.  (I think because "home is where the heart is" as they say, and I like how the Midwest cities feature a blend of East and West influence and geography/climate.)

CHICAGO: The Midwest Giant

On that second image I posted, that is a great photo to get a feel of the true size and scope of downtown Chicago.  That shot is taken from a hotel near O'Hare (15-20 miles away).  The tall skyscraper on the right of the Sears (Willis) Tower is 939 feet tall, almost the height of Seattle's Bank of America (formerly Seafirst Center).  Now, imagine Omaha's tallest, the Tower at First National Center, standing next to that, being around 300 feet shorter.  Then, imagine the Woodmen standing next to that.  Look how huge downtown Chicago really is.  If downtown Omaha were standing by the Sears, then the John Hancock Tower would be up by Epply Airfield, I suppose, or even further north.

Anyways, I took tons of shots of each city.  So, I'll have to post the other cities on other days...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I thought Willis Tower was around 1,500 feet?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

iamjacobm wrote:I thought Willis Tower was around 1,500 feet?
Yep, if I remember right, the Sears (Willis) Tower is 1,454 feet.  However, I was talking about the tallest skyscraper to the right of the Sears Tower is 939 feet.  It wasn't until I took this picture, and thought about how Omaha would look from that same angle and distance, and how much of the riverfront of Omaha that Chicago skyline would stretch along, that it really hit me how big downtown Chicago really is.  Sometimes, I can look at New York and Chicago and I'm suprised it is not an even bigger skyline, representing such a vast metropolis.  However, my sense of size & scale can be warped, if I'm not comparing it to something other.  Until I do, I don't always appreciate the true immensity of it.

Anyways, still have some Milwaukee, Minneapolis, KC, Des Moines, Omaha, and Lincoln pictures to upload later on...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ahh ok I need to read close I guess!  BTW cool pics.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

iamjacobm wrote:Ahh ok I need to read close I guess!  BTW cool pics.
No worries... :)  I do stuff like that all the time, myself.  When you read lots of threads, it is easy to skim and miss stuff, or maybe read what is said wrong.  Glad you like the pics.  I actually have a lot more of Chicago, but I just picked out some better ones.  With a free account, I can only upload one pic at a time.  So, it takes awhile...  I'm onto posting Milwaukee next.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

OK, here are some Milwaukee ones.  I had the chance to spend some time there in a vibrant fall a few years back.  What a great town, with a lot of great neighborhoods and enclaves, and a lot of great architecture.  The white, winged art museum is amazing.  With the way the city sits on bluffs overlooking the Midwestern "big blue" (ocean-looking Lake Michigan), it felt very refreshing to me.  It almost reminds me of a bigger, more bustling "Omaha", yet with that striking lakefront feature w/a marina, and the opportunities of a huge city (Chicago) nearby.  So, it really has a lot going for it, I feel.  I have lots of pictures of historic homes and churches, ect., but I'll mainly post the touristy shots:

Ironic that I have more shots posted of Milwaukee, then Chicago, so far.  I should probably add more Chicago later.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Awesome!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Mine.  from August.

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Great to see your photos, too, NativeOmaha!  Thanks for your contribution.  I would enjoy all/anybody's contribution here, that represents this subject of cities in the Midwest.

I wanted so bad to get to Chicago this past spring or summer, but didn't make it.  So, I'm glad to see the city in August through your lense.  (Funny, I haven't been in the mood to travel for quite awhile, and I think I'm finally, slowly getting out of that stage.)  Anyways, it was almost strange to see the palms with the Chicago buildings in the backdrop.  It almost looked "Miami" for a second there.  That's cool that they are setting out some palms in the warm summer months way up north in Illinois.  That 5th picture down:  What do you think of that building?  I like that concept, and I think it is unique and interesting (the chaotic waving pattern on the facade), but I'm still getting used to look being in Chicago. It stands near the pure, white, minimulist Aon Center, and it is such a contrast.  It feels more "Miami" ("aquatecture") to me, yet Chicago has water & boats, too, so I guess that city can pull that kind of architecture off.  I'm not sure I would like to see Chicago build too much of that style, though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RockHarbor wrote:Great to see your photos, too, NativeOmaha!  Thanks for your contribution.  I would enjoy all/anybody's contribution here, that represents this subject of cities in the Midwest.

I wanted so bad to get to Chicago this past spring or summer, but didn't make it.  So, I'm glad to see the city in August through your lense.  (Funny, I haven't been in the mood to travel for quite awhile, and I think I'm finally, slowly getting out of that stage.)  Anyways, it was almost strange to see the palms with the Chicago buildings in the backdrop.  It almost looked "Miami" for a second there.  That's cool that they are setting out some palms in the warm summer months way up north in Illinois.  That 5th picture down:  What do you think of that building?  I like that concept, and I think it is unique and interesting (the chaotic waving pattern on the facade), but I'm still getting used to look being in Chicago. It stands near the pure, white, minimulist Aon Center, and it is such a contrast.  It feels more "Miami" ("aquatecture") to me, yet Chicago has water & boats, too, so I guess that city can pull that kind of architecture off.  I'm not sure I would like to see Chicago build too much of that style, though.
That one is actually called Aqua and fun fact tallest building in the world where the head architect is a woman.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

iamjacobm wrote:That one is actually called Aqua and fun fact tallest building in the world where the head architect is a woman.
That's right.  I forgot it is actually called "Aqua."  Thanks for reminding me about that.  About a year ago, I saw an article about that building and her (the architect) in an architectural magazine.  I saw a picture of her.  That style does remind me of Miami-esque architecture.  In fact, there is a firm in Miami, I think, called "Aquatecture", or something like that.  I would have to look it up on the web...

Here are a few pics I took of that building in Chicago.  When I saw it, I was "wowed" looking up at yet.  Yet, as I said, I wouldn't necessarily want to see a lot of this type of design in Chicago.  Chicago is too "level-headed" and "heavy" and "serious", as opposed to relaxed, beachy "fun in the sun" Miami, to really represent too much of this type of unconventional design (in my opinion).  Same with cities like New York.  However, it is neat seeing an example of it in Chicago, and I do like the building.  I don't think the glass looks aqua-colored, and I'm glad it wasn't carried that far.

Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Here are a few more, since you commented on these topics, RockHarbor.

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Thanks for the additional pictures!  I had no idea Chicago set out those palms along Lake Michigan until your pictures posted here.  It hits me funny seeing those distinctive shapes of date palms against a particular shade of blue that belongs to northern Lake Michigan.  But, I think it looks fun, and would be enjoyable for locals and tourists...  

I'll eventually get around to posting my Minneapolis pics soon...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Ok, here are my Minneapolis pics.  I don't have too many.  I was visiting a friend while there, and was subject to their car and driving when I was taken to get my downtown shots.  I had to nicely ask several times to be taken to the south side of the skyline to get the well-known "postcard shot" of Minneapolis, the Mini Apple.

"The Mini Apple": Ever since a girl in my HS wore a T-shirt that said "Minneapolis: The Mini Apple" 15-20 years ago, that slogan has stuck in my head.  Of course, it is playing-off the sound of the city name, and, at the same time, communicating Minneapolis is a place of urban culture, like a smaller version of the Big Apple (New York, NY).  Kinda clever, I guess...

I've heard a writer call it a "polished city."  That's a good word to describe it, imo.  The skyline is shimmering, polished, and sleek in many ways.  Neat & impressive city, imo...

And, the friendly neighbor next door (with a great, healthy downtown, and neighorhoods, too):

Last edited by RockHarbor on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Since my son has been attending the 'U' the past couple years, I've come to know and love the twin cities.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Stargazer wrote:Since my son has been attending the 'U' the past couple years, I've come to know and love the twin cities.
Oh, really?!  That's neat you get a chance to get up there and visit him, and see the Twins.  Yeah, my friend is up there getting his education, too, and I've been up there several times.  I actually have quite a few people I know up in the Twin Cities. They are a neat urban pair.  And, until I visited Northern Minnesota, and saw how beautiful, rustic, and scenic it really was north of the metro, did I finally understand one of the reasons that urban complex is probably so expensive to live (like Denver is, ect.).  

I was just coming back here really quick to add a few more pics I had to the batch, and saw your comment.  Have a great night...
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wanted to get the KC pics out of the way....

When I was down in KC, I was seeing people, not seeing the city.  So, I didn't take my digital camera.  So, these pics are simply from a camera phone.  So, no zooms...  Yet, although having a restriction with no zoom option, that restriction does kind of create a uniformity among pictures that is kinda neat (I think).  I still like zoom, though.

Kansas City: A vibrant, energetic Midwesern city of bar-b-que, jazz, fountains, sports and art.  A lot of zest.  That town has, almost what I would describe as, a snappy, peppy quality a lot of people like...  Unfortunately, I don't have pics of The Plaza of KC, which is one of the most amazing areas to see of the city.  Maybe I can add some links of The Plaza, though...  Some new exciting projects going up:  Their new performing arts center is one.  The design is soaring and fantastic -- kind of like Sydney's Opera House.  Two:  A new I-35 bridge over the Missouri, which has that geometric spectrum of stiff cables that is popular in modern bridge design nowadays (also seen used on Omaha's new pedestrian bridge).

The Plaza, KC:  http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sour ... =&gs_rfai=

More great Midwestern, tall-standing cities comin' up...!

Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Great collections, RockHarbor! Way to represent the Midwest!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Great collections, RockHarbor! Way to represent the Midwest!
Hey, StreetsofO...thanks...!  I'm glad some are enjoying them.  Yeah, I've had these pictures stored for awhile now.  It feels good to get them out there, and share 'em (as most of us love cityscapes, and our homeland, the Midwest, on top of it).  I would like to have had pics of all the Midwest cities, but unfortunately my collection is limited.  :)  Thanks again...