A 51st State?

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

A 51st State?

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/califo ... hpt=hp_bn1
A conservative county supervisor in Southern California wants to form the 51st state by seceding the region from California, saying the state's problems require "radical" solutions.

Stone has come up with a name for the new state: South California. It would be composed of 13 largely Republican counties, most of which are inland along the Nevada and Arizona state lines. The plan would exclude Los Angeles County, but would include Orange and San Diego Counties, both on the coast.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

North Upper Bumhaven.
Stable genius.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

I'm pretty sure our Republic of Lakota overlords will be successful before this half brained escapade would ever get off the ground.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Lets add Long Island, Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and the MI UP to make it an even 55 while they're at it...
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

And the chance of this happening is?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

This isn't really new news as there has been over 200 or so attempts to split the state over the last century or so.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I say that Minard will open an amusement park in Nebraska before there is a South California.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Re: A 51st State?

Post by HuskerDave »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/califo ... hpt=hp_bn1
A conservative county supervisor in Southern California wants to form the 51st state by seceding the region from California, saying the state's problems require "radical" solutions.

Stone has come up with a name for the new state: South California. It would be composed of 13 largely Republican counties, most of which are inland along the Nevada and Arizona state lines. The plan would exclude Los Angeles County, but would include Orange and San Diego Counties, both on the coast.
This only seems to make news when it's conservatives proposing it - whether seriously or as a political stunt.  

Such proposals have also been made by liberals in CA, WA, OR, TX, and FL, in recent memory.

I don't think anyone takes it seriously.  Sure there's a constitutional vehicle for such things to happen, but carving a state out of another state would likely require the consent of the state legislature - thereby cutting their revenue.  That sure doesn't seem likely.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:I say that Minard will open an amusement park in Nebraska before there is a South California.
I'll take that bet.  

Here's to eternal life:

Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

You chose....poorly