NYC Supertall Boom

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

NYC Supertall Boom

Post by iamjacobm »

They have 5 1000+ foot towers u/c right now.  Two other proposed ones as well.  That is just insane skyscraper construction, even for NYC.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The 432 Park Ave tower is out of control, can you imagine living 1400 feet off the ground?

koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

Take notes, omaha
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder if they will have any of those $2000/mo 300 sqft apartments like what has been featured on the news?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

koberaptor wrote:Take notes, omaha
Omaha will never be remotely close to this.  Lots of cities to look to for examples, just not really NYC.  Its another animal.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

lol - Omaha couldn't even build a 25 story condo tower. Easy, tiger...err...Raptor.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, meanwhile we may be getting a sprawling 4-story superblock in the heart of the CBD.  :cry:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Seth wrote:Yeah, meanwhile we may be getting a sprawling 4-story superblock in the heart of the CBD.  :cry:
But word is it will have a 1000 foot spire, so we may have a 1100 foot building.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Linkin5 wrote:
Seth wrote:Yeah, meanwhile we may be getting a sprawling 4-story superblock in the heart of the CBD.  :cry:
But word is it will have a 1000 foot spire, so we may have a 1100 foot building.
Does anyone remember the controversy over whether a spire could be counted as the height of the building back when the Petronas Towers surpassed the Sears Tower?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Seth wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Does anyone remember the controversy over whether a spire could be counted as the height of the building back when the Petronas Towers surpassed the Sears Tower?
Lol yeah.  They still have that argument on SSC.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

What is SSC?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Seth wrote:What is SSC?
Skyscrapercity.com
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think the New York building is pretty ugly.  It reminds me of the US Bank Tower in Milwaukee that was built in 1973, you would think that they would choose something more modern looking.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Linkin5 wrote:The 432 Park Ave tower is out of control, can you imagine living 1400 feet off the ground?

OMG that is ugly!  I can't believe that NYC would allow that to be built.  Then again, they somehow allowed the NYT Tower, which looks like something out of Batman.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

China Skyline Getting Bigger, More Skyscrapers Than USA

Looks like if you want to see tall construction, you'll want to move to China...
China will have more skyscrapers than the U.S. by 2017, MotianCity, a research organization in China focusing on skyscrapers, said in a “Supercity” report released to the local press late last week.

China will have 802 buildings standing over 152 meters tall compared to 539 in the U.S., according to the report. In 10 years, the number of skyscrapers on the mainland will reach 1,318, compared to 563 in the U.S. Currently, the U.S. tops has the most skyscrapers in the world with 533. China has 470, not counting those in Hong Kong.  China developers are currently building 332 new buildings, all over 152 meters tall, and there’s another 516 in the planning stages. In contrast, only six skyscrapers are under construction in the U.S. at present, with another 24 in the works, according to MotianCity . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Just read a story somewhere how 432 Park Ave will be the richest address in the world when completed.  Something like 20 of the condos have been sold to billionares.  Both US and international folks wanting a place in NY.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Ben wrote:Just read a story somewhere how 432 Park Ave will be the richest address in the world when completed.  Something like 20 of the condos have been sold to billionares.  Both US and international folks wanting a place in NY.
I have read that too! and also the penthouse  is going for $85 million.  The SOB that will spend that much is going to have the best view IN NYC
Suit Up
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

It's interesting to see the building boom in Asia/Middle East, and to witness the lack of practicality behind it, then look at squeezed budgets and credit market in US, and watch the development shifting towards more practicial, affordable and sustainable type projects. Reminds me of where our regions sit within the timeline of "Orion's Contemplation".
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

S33 wrote:Reminds me of where our regions sit within the timeline of "Orion's Contemplation".
I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying that they are doing what we did over the last few decades and will end up facing the same problems we are today as a result?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Sort of. Because of their increasing quality of life, are entering their "age of abundance and complacency", while we are in the "complacency to apathy" stage. As far as facing the same results, they may not have to if they learn from our mistakes.

(They are building a middle class while ours is degrading) I do think it all corellates into each respective region's style of development.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We just returned from a week in NYC.  Having visited the city dozens of times in the past 30 years, I can say that the level of construction is about average.  No more, no less.  The exception is of course the WTC site, which remains a beehive of activity.  Otherwise there is no big area of construction activity in Manhattan.  I can't speak for the outer boroughs.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The dehumanization of New York City marches on.
iamjacobm wrote:
koberaptor wrote:Take notes, omaha
Omaha will never be remotely close to this...
And thank God for that.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I love New York. There is an energy there unlike any other city.  It is only dehumanized if you choose it to be.  The diverse population is exciting.  Would I choose to live there?  No.  I have friends that live in midtown Manhattan & they love it there.  They even have a minivan.  

Life is what you make it.  If you choose to sit back and be a critic, that's your choice.  But you're wasting time and energy.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It really doesn't take much energy to have opinions based on life experiences.

To some extent life is what you make of it. But after a certain point we're just sugar-coating reality and lying to ourselves. Some things are very objective and quantifyable. Others are more abstract and intangible. In both senses, I find New York to be an utter he11 hole based on my first-hand experience of the city and my expertise concerning cities, the built environment, and quality of life.

I realize many people feel differently, and that's perfectly fine. In many instances, though, I have strong suspicions as to why these people feel the way they do (patriotism/nationalism, pride, inferiority complexes, lack of real-world experience, belief in what they see on TV and in films, etc.).

Often times, the way we want to see something affects how we see that thing. In the case of New York, the city is too much of a symbol of America and the greatness accorded to America by Americans for people to see the city for what it truly, objectively is.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

And there you have it folks.  Streets & I will be here all week.  Then we'll be at YukYuks in Cleveland next week.  

Thanks for coming!  Tip your server.  Drive carefully.  Next time, try the veal!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Streets, which US cities do you find acceptable, with regard to your criteria,  of what a modern, sustainable, and all around good quality-of-life city would be here in the US?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

S33 wrote:Streets, which US cities do you find acceptable?
I haven't come across one yet.

No American city, anywhere in the country, is doing nearly enough in terms of atonement for the destruction (both physical and social) we ourselves have brought on our cities, and to regenerate and restore the very fragile ecosystems of our cities that have been just decimated, not to even mention sustainability (something we love to blow smoke up our |expletive| about) and resilience moving into the future.

In my experience, the cities that come the closest to being acceptable are those that have struggled valiantly against the destructive tide of American "progress" and have succeeded in preserving their architectural heritage and collective identity. Charleston, SC comes to mind. But even "gentrified" towns and neighborhoods that have preserved much of their architecture and history are rife with staggering incongruities and mindbogglingly outrageous contrasts in terms of the quality and repair of the built environment and the exorbitant costs of living associated with our "good" cities compared to the quality of life they actually offer. What I mean is, just blocks away from the "gentrified" corner with the Pottery Barn and the hip new wine bar sits a dangerous vacant lot with a barbwire fence right next to a hollowed out, dilapidated shell of a former human habitation filled with used syringes and human excrement.

The evidence of this couldn't be more available. We look past it every day; the American ego has trained us to do it. If anyone doesn't believe me, I invite you to spend some serious time tooling around America's great cities on Google Streetview and tell me that you are truly proud of what you have seen and that you still believe, with complete sincerity, that this country truly is the greatest country on Earth.  

Of course, cities like Portland, OR have made tremendous efforts at keeping up with the caliber and quality of built environments found in the rest of the developed world in terms of sustainability, quality of life, and the creation of civic spaces that actually affirm the existence of the human soul. But those efforts still fall very short, especially when compared to the true vanguards of the world stage.

As far as I'm concerned, America's human settlement experiment is over and the results are in. What I tend to engage myself in now is the objective evaluation of these results; and boy, they are not pretty. It's not a feel-good subject and a lot of people don't like to hear it, or even aren't capable of processing the information. I understand this; it's completely natural. I suppose it's like being told that, based on all of the hard evidence available, experts have definitively concluded that your mother is a wh0re*. No one wants to hear that. People love their mothers.

*This is a metaphor and not directed at any specific individual.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Can a mod just start moving this |expletive| into a street's soapbox thread or something?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

My mother is a saint, god dam*it!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:Can a mod just start moving this |expletive| into a street's soapbox thread or something?
I only responded with some level of detail because S33 specifically asked and seemed to be genuine.

And anyway, how is it OK to repeatedly suggest that the posts of a specific forumer be censored, deleted, or relocated according to your whims because you don't like the opinion (or the forumer...)?

It's not.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Can a mod just start moving this |expletive| into a street's soapbox thread or something?
I only responded with some level of detail because S33 specifically asked and seemed to be genuine.

And anyway, how is it OK to repeatedly suggest that the posts of a specific forumer be censored, deleted, or relocated according to your whims because you don't like the opinion (or the forumer...)?

It's not.
Watch out, Streets is playing the victim role here.  

You responded to a thread about supertalls in NYC by saying "The dehumanization of New York City marches on."  

You and I both know you interject the same |expletive| into every thread, at least be honest and fess up to it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

:lol:

Ha. No. I'm not "fessing" up to anything. How absurd. Obviously I don't believe my own opinions are "|expletive|" or that I inject the "same |expletive|" into "every" thread.

Exactly, it's a thread about supertall skyscrapers in New York: something I happen to know a little something about and about which I have some very strong opinions based on first-hand observation.

You're so typical. "Only the opinion that NYC is epic and awesome is welcome."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote::lol:

Ha. No. I'm not "fessing" up to anything. How absurd. Obviously I don't believe my own opinions are "|expletive|" or that I inject the "same |expletive|" into "every" thread.

Exactly, it's a thread about supertall skyscrapers in New York: something I happen to know a little something about and about which I have some very strong opinions based on first-hand observation.

You're so typical. "Only the opinion that NYC is epic and awesome is welcome."
Wow, you have first hand observations of NYC, awesome, how very impressive of you.  

I am not saying there should only be positive comments in a thread, but if you are critiquing something how about it be the buildings which is what we are talking about.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:

It's not.
It is absolutely ok.  This isn't a public forum.  It's the property of whoever set it up.  The moderators have every right to censor, delete, relocate and edit anything they want to.  Wait....that wasn't your question.  Your question was how is it ok to repeatedly suggest that your posts...etc.  That is ok as long as the moderators allow it.  Same thing.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:...if you are critiquing something how about it be the buildings which is what we are talking about.
That's exactly what I'm critiquing. And again, S33 asked me a specific, genuine question. If the mods think that's non-topical, fine, go ahead and delete those posts. Whatever.

Novak: is it legal and within the forum-"owner's" rights? Yes. Though, I don't think anyone, even the mods, would actually claim "ownership" of the forum. But, again, is it OK? No. And the mods know that. They know that if they start censoring people's posts just because they are not popular they are making a joke of the forum. I don't think they or anyone else want that. At least I hope not.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Debating is fine, but when you bring up the same thing in every thread no matter the subject, that is when it becomes trolling.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:....
making a joke of the forum
I think that ship sailed a long time ago.  The Chamber forum, OWH, Eomaha.com and now this.

The only person missing is Nurse Ratched...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:...you bring up the same thing in every thread no matter the subject...
Completely false.

Anyway, you think I sound like a broken record here?

"Wow, that's pretty cool."
"Looks great."
"It's great to see progress on such-and-such."
"It would be cool to see something go up there."
"That is awesome."
"I'd love to see streetcars downtown."
"*random witty comment that has nothing to do with anything*."

Yep, a lot of in-depth, nuanced discussion going on here. I'm the only one who keeps posting the "same thing in every thread no matter the subject."
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:...you bring up the same thing in every thread no matter the subject...
Completely false.

Anyway, you think I sound like a broken record here?

"Wow, that's pretty cool."
"Looks great."
"It's great to see progress on such-and-such."
"It would be cool to see something go up there."
"That is awesome."
"I'd love to see streetcars downtown."
"*random witty comment that has nothing to do with anything*."

Yep, a lot of in-depth, nuanced discussion going on here. I'm the only one who keeps posting the "same thing in every thread no matter the subject."
And your victim hat is a little crooked....
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Totally lame.