IKEA coming to Kansas City

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

gisbuxfan
Library Board

IKEA coming to Kansas City

Post by gisbuxfan »

Not sure if this posted anywhere else. Sorry if it is...

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/IKE ... 4GVZw.cspx
IKEA, the world’s leading home furnishings retailer, will announce plans on Thursday morning for a proposed store in Merria
m.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Great news! We visited the Centennial, Colorado store a couple of months back and replaced all of our drinking glasses, cups and plates and saucers and loaded up with some groceries of stuff you just can't get around here. It's a great place as a destination, but I wouldn't want to go more than once or twice a year, max. Wear comfortable shoes.

Replace your home furniture? Nah... it's not really our cup of kaffe for that, but there are a load of things we spotted in the store that we wouldn't mind dragging home with a rented a trailer. They have some fantastic bathroom vanities and mirrors for less than Menards type prices.

That being said, 300 miles from GI or 400 to Denver... and we have friends and family and stuff we could do as we know our way around in Denver. It'll be a nice option.

Have the meatball dinner. You can't go wrong!

Lunch at Ikea by candleshoe, on Flickr
Last edited by Candleshoe on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I like how news about a store being built 190 miles away that will have no positive impact on the Omaha economy is on the front page of a few Omaha news websites.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:I like how news about a store being built 190 miles away that will have no positive impact on the Omaha economy is on the front page of a few Omaha news websites.
Because there will be more than a couple Nebraska plates in the parking lot every day.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha itself had no chance of getting the store built here.  So it is great news that it is coming elsewhere to our region.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I like how news about a store being built 190 miles away that will have no positive impact on the Omaha economy is on the front page of a few Omaha news websites.
Because there will be more than a couple Nebraska plates in the parking lot every day.

I'll make sure to resend them the memo that they can only headline articles that are positive in nature on  growth and development for Omaha only.  Never mind that this was interesting news for a great many of their readers and viewers.  Not sure  what they were thinking.....

Greg
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The OWH gets their news from this forum anyways, so I'm sure they got the memo.  :D
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Re: IKEA coming to Kansas City

Post by Brad »

Went to the new Kansas City Ikea today. It's the third one I went to. First was Dallas, then Minneapolis, now KC.

Two cool things I would like to point out.

Parking:
I don't remember the Dallas location, but Minneapolis and KC both have the parking under the buding. KC has a small row in front, but almost everyone parks under the building.

Electrical:
IKEA is installing solar panels on the roof that will provide more electricity than is required to run the store!

As far as today's visit, it was the standard ikea. Place was fairly busy even with the snow.