The Bloomberg Years

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

The Bloomberg Years

Post by iamjacobm »

This is a really cool link that shows the changes NYC has seen under Mayor Bloomberg, some of the before and afters are crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/201 ... w-york/?hp
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: The Bloomberg Years

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:This is a really cool link that shows the changes NYC has seen under Mayor Bloomberg, some of the before and afters are crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/201 ... w-york/?hp
I know the Bloomberg years have been much better than the Beame years (when I left!) but the complaints I'm hearing from those I know still in the area are along the line of the city being less affordable for those even of a "lower upper middle class" means and the pushing-out of long-standing independent businesses of all types in favor of chains.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Why do you think I moved back to Omaha? NYC is becoming a place where only rich people can afford/want to live.. Also Bloomberg is not great mayor and acts more like a 3rd world Dictator with his policies of restricting what NYers can eat/drink. Just today when he was on a radio show a caller asked for tips on success to which he suggested going to the bathroom less.. He is a major major control freak and throws around his political weight to make everyones lives out there miserable by telling everyone they can't make wise decisions for themselves so he has to do it for them and only he knows best.

...I do not miss Bloomberg one bit... :twisted:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really was just interested in the massive changes.  The looks cool in photos!  Thanks for the perspective though.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I do agree that there have been a ridiculous amount of new skyscrapers going up out there but I don't really think that you can attribute that success to what Bloomberg has done and more attribute it to the fact that NYC needs more residential space and so its simply building more residential space to accommodate the demand.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

As someone who used to regularly visit NYC (at least twice a year) for 20 years prior to 2001, I shied away for almost a decade post 2001.  We went back two years ago, and were absolutely blown away by the improvements visible in almost every neighborhood.  The city is so much more pedestrian and bicycle friendly.  It is cleaner (much cleaner than Omaha), has more restaurants and food vendors, catering to all price points, has rejuvenated parks, more theaters, less crime, and just overall shouts "I'm Back, and Better than Ever".  People clearly have pride in their city.  
My friend from Hong Kong recently moved back to NYC after being gone 11 years.  He moved into a "new" loft apartment complex that is a repurposed warehouse, near downtown Brooklyn.  I had never visited that area before.  I was blown away by all the recent redevelopment.  Anyone who is not a millionaire is probably going to move to one of the outer boroughs, or to Jersey, when relocating to NYC.  But those neighborhoods are generally 20 minutes or less to Manhattan via subway.
New York is America's front door to the world.  It is great seeing it shining so bright.