Twin Cities Population Shift

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Twin Cities Population Shift

Post by Uffda »

In Twin Cities metro, more young people are moving to the urban core, while suburbs age

Between 2011 and 2012, the number of households in Minneapolis and St. Paul with school-aged children is estimated to have shot up by nearly 7,000, as the number with seniors was dropping by close to 4,000, said research analyst Jane Tigan of St. Paul’s Wilder Research, an arm of the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation that studies social, cultural and economic trends affecting poor and disadvantaged Minnesotans.

In the suburbs, meanwhile, Tigan reported, the number with seniors rose by nearly 15,000, as those with children flatlined — part of a massive demographic role reversal.

New year-end data from the Builders Association of the Twin Cities suggest that for the second straight year, residential construction in Minneapolis towered over that of any Twin Cities suburb — something that hasn’t happened in decades.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 34151.html
Uffda
County Board

Re: Twin Cities metro, more young people are moving to the u

Post by Uffda »

maybe one of the moderators can shorten that title for me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:maybe one of the moderators can shorten that title for me.
Does that work for you?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Re: Twin Cities Population Shift

Post by Seth »

The article rightly addresses education as one of the biggest challenges to this shift in population and age that we're seeing. The trend of reinvestment and repopulation of historically neglected city and streetcar suburb neighborhoods seems to be pretty well established, even in cities here like Omaha, but schools are the one thing still greatly lagging. The first wave of gentrification can easily consist of single 20-somethings and young married couples without kids, because they don't require schools. The historic buildings, loft conversions, brewpubs, etc are enough. Once they begin having children, however, good schools are a necessity, and that doesn't seems be be quite a ways behind. I've seen that firsthand here in Omaha, with couples who moved into Midtown and loved it, but moved to West O once their kids hit preschool age.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Minneapolis is a bit odd compared to other 'midwestern' cities in that it hasn't seen the same kind of 'white flight' which it's peer cities have seen. It has some of the most incredibly well preserved, older neighborhoods I've seen anywhere... which I think contributes to those younger professionals moving in.

I can't even think of any parts of Omaha that have the kinds of small bungalow houses that Minneapolis has, in the condition they're in... other than say, the area southeast of 60th and Leavenworth. In Minneapolis, these homes are going for $300k+... with a Prius in every driveway, and Al Franken sign in every yard. ;)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Stargazer wrote:Minneapolis is a bit odd compared to other 'midwestern' cities in that it hasn't seen the same kind of 'white flight' which it's peer cities have seen.  It has some of the most incredibly well preserved, older neighborhoods I've seen anywhere... which I think contributes to those younger professionals moving in.

I can't even think of any parts of Omaha that have the kinds of small bungalow houses that Minneapolis has, in the condition they're in... other than say, the area southeast of 60th and Leavenworth.  In Minneapolis, these homes are going for $300k+... with a Prius in every driveway, and Al Franken sign in every yard. ;)
Did Minneapolis have forced busing or the rampant decay of their inner city schools like Omaha did? Please remember that it gets called "white flight", but it was really "green flight" because everyone in Benson with the bucks to leave (race not withstanding) did so and fast.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

bigredmed wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Minneapolis is a bit odd compared to other 'midwestern' cities in that it hasn't seen the same kind of 'white flight' which it's peer cities have seen.  It has some of the most incredibly well preserved, older neighborhoods I've seen anywhere... which I think contributes to those younger professionals moving in.

I can't even think of any parts of Omaha that have the kinds of small bungalow houses that Minneapolis has, in the condition they're in... other than say, the area southeast of 60th and Leavenworth.  In Minneapolis, these homes are going for $300k+... with a Prius in every driveway, and Al Franken sign in every yard. ;)
Did Minneapolis have forced busing or the rampant decay of their inner city schools like Omaha did?   Please remember that it gets called "white flight", but it was really "green flight" because everyone in Benson with the bucks to leave (race not withstanding) did so and fast.
Inner city schools will decay when there is no money to support them. And no, it was white flight. You can deny it, but the history of this country, and many others, is very ugly in many ways, including urban development and segregation.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'd be really curious to see the HUD maps and redlined areas in Omaha that other federal agencies wouldn't back mortgages for.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Seth wrote:I'd be really curious to see the HUD maps and redlined areas in Omaha that other federal agencies wouldn't back mortgages for.
My parents lived on 48th south of Bedford Ave. Their block was selected by the FHA to be downgraded on their mortgage. Bought the house in 1959 for $11K and put about $3K into it. FHA and HUD limited their home value to $8K, and a mortgage limit of $6K. They took a huge bath on it when they sold it in 1967 for $8K. They never really trusted the government much after that.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Garrett wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

Did Minneapolis have forced busing or the rampant decay of their inner city schools like Omaha did?   Please remember that it gets called "white flight", but it was really "green flight" because everyone in Benson with the bucks to leave (race not withstanding) did so and fast.
Inner city schools will decay when there is no money to support them. And no, it was white flight. You can deny it, but the history of this country, and many others, is very ugly in many ways, including urban development and segregation.

I think in the past it was white flight but there is truth now in the green fly. Those with the means to do so move, not just on color. I live in NW Omaha (156th and Ida area) and I can it's more diverse than West O was when I was a kid.

Greg
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

bigredmed wrote:
Seth wrote:I'd be really curious to see the HUD maps and redlined areas in Omaha that other federal agencies wouldn't back mortgages for.
My parents lived on 48th south of Bedford Ave.  Their block was selected by the FHA to be downgraded on their mortgage.  Bought the house in 1959 for $11K and put about $3K into it.  FHA and HUD limited their home value to $8K, and a mortgage limit of $6K.  They took a huge bath on it when they sold it in 1967 for $8K.   They never really trusted the government much after that.
Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for sharing a real-world example of those practices. That era must have been interesting...