345 Apartments to be built atop new Walmart

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

345 Apartments to be built atop new Walmart

Post by nativeomahan »

Wherever Walmart wants to build, they will do whatever the local community requires them to do in order to locate a store. In Washington, DC that means a new Walmart will include underground parking below the store, and 345 housing units above.

http://archrecord.construction.com/news ... es-Out.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad
City Council

Re: 345 Apartments to be built atop new Walmart

Post by Brad »

Best looking walmart I have ever seen.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wa wa we wah .. it's a nice!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

If I remember correctly, DC actively pursued bringing Wal-Mart to the city because there weren't too many discount retail options. I can't remember if they offered incentives or not, but they've required that all of Wal-Mart's stores employ an urban format.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Hmph.... imagine if we had something like this in downtown... heck, if it were in North Downtown, it would be such a development sparker.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I love DT DC, not vertical, but just a great downtown. This will be a good addition.

Greg
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Greg S wrote:I love DT DC, not vertical, but just a great downtown.  This will be a good addition.

Greg
I agree it will be a positive addition, but it is nowhere near downtown DC.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Where is it going?

Greg
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Greg S wrote:Where is it going?

Greg
Near the Fort Totten Metro station, closer to the District's border with Maryland. It's a pretty quiet, solid, middle-class, predominantly African-American neighborhood full of Craftsman style bungalows mostly built between 1900 and 1930. I'd spent some time there in the past----- a friend of mine and his partner restored a house they'd bought in the neighborhood. I can't think of a similar neighborhood in Omaha except for maybe Benson, but the housing stock is more uniform (and nicer) than Benson's. This is a pretty blingy development for that neighborhood. The District is being flooded with 20-somethings, which is great, but for the life of me, I don't know where they're getting the money (mom and dad ?) -----a 1 bedroom apartment on the fringe of a sketchy neighborhood is fetching $1500-$1800 a month. These will probably go for at least $2000.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OK that helps. Last time I was in DC, they thought they were getting at least 5 Wal Marts in the district. Not a big WM guy but they definitely fill a need.

Greg