Dubuque, IA Master Plan

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Dubuque, IA Master Plan

Post by skinzfan23 »

Found this article very interesting on Dubuque (I lived there for a little over 2 years). The district is similar to what Jobbers Canyon was to Omaha. At one time, the Millwork district in Dubuque was the largest in the nation.

This Dubuque, Iowa Master Plan Is a Rust Belt Victory

Here are a few pictures from the article:

Brad
City Council

Re: Dubuque, IA Master Plan

Post by Brad »

Wow, that's Awesome!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Wow, that's Awesome!
Yeah especially for a city of only 60,000 and only 90,000 in the metro. Dubuque has some really great old buildings and churches. If anyone has a chance, I highly recommend visiting what I believe is the prettiest city in the state of Iowa.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few pictures of Dubuque:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Downtown Dubuque is absolutely gorgeous. Reminds me more of Pittsburgh than Iowa. And they have a very user friendly riverfront.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The have all the old buildings downtown because the downtown area has been a shithole for so long. Glad they didn't tear everything down and now there is a chance for repurposing all those old buildings.

There is a definite Pennsylvania/Ohio rustbelt feel to that part of Iowa and extending into Illinois and Wisconsin.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Yes, driving into the city from the north, south, or especially the east brings a beautiful view. I lived in Dubuque in the 80s and loved it. One downside at that time was there was every highway in and out was 2-lane -- but since then, they've upgraded several 4-lane highways. Another downside was, there were a lot of bats! The downtown area, where I lived for awhile, was walkable, although the west side of town was up a STEEP bluff. The west side of town could be Chain Store Anywhere -- but downtown largely holds its charm, although it's changed over time (whose downtown hasn't?). I think the movie F.I.S.T. was filmed in the warehouse district mentioned here.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

If I could find a good job in my field, Dubuque is a town we'd love to move to. I've always like the setting on the bluff, and there are enough affordable 100-year-old houses for me to find one worth restoring. The biggest problem with these small towns is the lack of middle-class professional jobs these days.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They did have a ton of new jobs for IBM, but now that their business is down, they have diminished their workforce in Dubuque. They even moved in to renovate the old Roshek Department store building (similar to Brandeis)

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

This old brewery recently caught on fire in Dubuque. There were talks to demolish the building due to the damage sustained, but hopefully they are able to save this. I wish Omaha still had some of these old brewery buildings like this.