Chicago

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Chicago

Post by iamjacobm »

Nothing too specific here. Just a general appreciation for this awesome city. I always forgot how cool this place is until I visit again. Need to get here way more often.
BRoss
IT Director

Re: Chicago

Post by BRoss »

I usually go once a year and in fact just visited there about two weeks ago. Always a great time. It's nice how you can just take the train places instead of driving and trying to park. This last time I stayed out west with a friend and took the Metra train into the city the three days I was there over the 4th weekend.

Me and my friends always have to stop by Exchequer for pizza and Miller's Pub for a few drinks. We usually go to Navy Pier too, but didn't actually go to it this time (although we did go to a beach next to it).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I'm at Pitchfork Music Festival and haven't left the walkable area around Union Park and have had awesome eats and cool urban settings. Haven't even been in the loop yet.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Chicago in the summertime is just this side of perfection.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I miss it so much right now!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Chicago Has The Most Eerie Tornado Siren You'll Ever Hear

This is the weirdest siren I've ever heard!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Chicago Has The Most Eerie Tornado Siren You'll Ever Hear

This is the weirdest siren I've ever heard!
Oh god what the heck is it?! Like it sounds like it would be good for zombies or aliens. Uuuuugh I'm getting skin crawlies thinking of that sound...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

|expletive|! That's from the Twilight Zone.
LookingGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LookingGlass »

Shoulda had that when O'Leary's cow kicked over that lantern!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Those sirens are Federal Signal EOWS-612. You can program them to sound different tones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EOWS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Apparently those were the nuclear explosion sirens back in the day.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Sometimes the public's opinions on developments in Chicago is just baffling. It's nearly 180 degrees from what you'd expect in Omaha. In Omaha, we welcome new development which would better our city and allow it to become a more vibrant, relevant place. In Chicago, people seem to be more anti-development and in odd ways.

Perhaps the biggest issue to locals is gentrification. So you'd think when someone comes along and wants to put 1000s of (likely) expensive homes and businesses on a brownfield former railroad yard that has been abandoned for 40 years and is surrounded by other expensive homes and businesses, AWAY from gentrifying neighborhoods where no buildings of any significance would be removed and no lower income residents displaced, they'd be happy. You'd be wrong if you consult the comments section of the articles discussing this development...

Developer signs deal to build 62-acre neighborhood linking South Loop and Chinatown

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... ft06a-2la1

Even though Grant Park, the city's massive, flagship park, is merely 8 blocks away and this land is likely contaminated and surrounded by high density development, some of the most expensive in the country, people are complaining that this privately owned piece of land is not being kept for a nature preserve, another park, or low-income housing. In the heart of one of the densest cities in the country - with financial issues - a plot of land adjacent to substantial amounts of green space, should also be green space, costing the city more money instead of bringing money in. Even if it did remain green space, lets assume that those thousands of wealthy people still opt to move to the city, they're likely to build something in a transitioning neighborhood, which people would complain even more about. There's just no winning and there appear to be two (vocal) types of people, those who have moved from a low density Papillion-esque suburb and expect that a dense, highly populated city is going contain the amount of (faux) nature and lack of people and traffic that they're used to, and those who have lived in the city during the years it was in decline (or pretend they did) and have decided "yes, our city has reached a fantastic level of low incomes, abandonment, and economic disparity. We must keep it that way and not let it change and not let anyone else in...except someone must solve the crime and schools issue."

And then there's the Lucas Museum. Star Wars creator George Lucas wants to build a museum to house his collection of...non-Star Wars related art(???)...in a funky modern building that would increase tourism, bring in more money for a cash strapped city, and be the envy of other great cities around the country. The spot that was chosen for the museum was inside Chicago's MUSEUM CAMPUS on what is currently a PARKING LOT. Perfect location, right? Wrong. The parking lot primarily serves Soldier Field and is ideal for tailgating. The museum is also another building that would be on the lakefront. Even though our ENTIRE lakefront is parkland, this building is apparently going to ruin the scenery; more than a parking lot already does. So the mayor, in a compromising mood, said the parking lot could stay for the tailgaters, instead we'll tear down part of our convention center and put it there instead. Not the main part of the already incredibly massive center, but the older outbuilding that isn't used as often and is across Lake Shore Drive so you access it from a skybridge. The footprint of the museum is smaller and would result in added green space. Perfect location, right? There's already a building there. They're simply swapping one building for another. Nope. An activist group called Friends of the Park doesn't see it that way...

FRIENDS OF THE PARKS VOWS TO TAKE LUCAS MUSEUM BATTLE TO STATE COURT

http://abc7chicago.com/news/friends-of- ... t/1334791/

Now a lot of this rant is rooted in what I've seen in internet commentors on news sites and Facebook, but still, comments on Omaha developments have always seemed more even keel and level-headed. I feel this would be more justified if the city's economy was growing at a healthy pace, finances in order, and there were only a few parts of the city left where low-income people could comfortably live, but none of that is the case.

:rant:
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I'm more or less right there with you, BurritoBarn. (If I recall you said several years ago you weren't Tito, but rather his BurritoBarn :;): ) It's interesting how people can vastly overestimate the value and usage of greenspace in the city. As you mentioned, Grant Park is just a few blocks away, but on some of the nicest days I've been there it's just sat empty for the most part. Parks need something to draw people to them, otherwise they're just a waste of space. I will say, I do hope this development does include a degree of low income housing. Every Chicago neighborhood should be open to people of all incomes, and we've seen what's happened in Chicago when it was so vastly segregated before. Just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean they should have exclusive access to what the city can offer. And I do bet, or at least hope there will be some form of open, public space along the river. With everything Rahm has been doing to try to revitalize the riverfront, this could be a great opportunity to have a blank slate for some sort of nice plaza or something.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Garrett wrote:I'm more or less right there with you, BurritoBarn. (If I recall you said several years ago you weren't Tito, but rather his BurritoBarn :;): )
Haha, actually it was that people would call me 'Titos' instead of 'Tito'. I just found it odd because the Tito's is in possessive form. It'd be similar if people referred to you as Garrett's.
I will say, I do hope this development does include a degree of low income housing. Every Chicago neighborhood should be open to people of all incomes, and we've seen what's happened in Chicago when it was so vastly segregated before.
Completely agreed and I think I presented my original point in a confusing manner. It's not that there shouldn't be an element of low-income housing here, but that the general complaint about homes being constructed for the wealthy seems misguided. What we're seeing is a correction to the white flight days when large portions of the wealthy left. Ideally the city would be equal parts of all income levels, but at the moment, the city's median household income is $9,000 lower than the state average.
And I do bet, or at least hope there will be some form of open, public space along the river. With everything Rahm has been doing to try to revitalize the riverfront, this could be a great opportunity to have a blank slate for some sort of nice plaza or something.
Oh I'm sure there will be. Rahm has been a strong proponent of public space, which is fantastic. But the public's call for turning it into a nature preserve? The nature that exists in the South Loop at this point are the flora and fauna that have adapted to urban life; squirrels and pigeons, not white tail deer and prairie dogs. That's not to say we shouldn't mitigate air, water, and ground pollution and implement green roofs to create a sustainable environment for all urban dwellers, but I think it's more beneficial to the natural environment if we build houses in the city rather than expand the suburbs.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love Chicago, too. I always have. I get there every couple of years, it seems. I always used to say it was my "favorite city", but I'm not sure I still hold it in the very top place, but it still is up at the very top of my list -- if not the top still. Last year, when I was playing with the idea of moving to NYC, I kept telling myself "Why don't you just move to Chicago?" But, I was attracted to what the NYC area had to offer more (the nearby ocean, the beauty of the Hudson River Valley, ect.). But, Chicago has that "Midwest vein" I identify with. It's like our "New York." It really is a wonderful city. It's called the "Most American of American Cities."
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Chicago has actually lost thousands of residents over the last few years, not just the city proper but the entire metro. While I have nothing against Chicago I would laugh if it went down the crapper right as ConAgra settled in.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Professor Woland wrote:Chicago has actually lost thousands of residents over the last few years, not just the city proper but the entire metro. While I have nothing against Chicago I would laugh if it went down the crapper right as ConAgra settled in.
Well Chicago is largely losing blue collar people, not necessarily what ConAgra cares to attract.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Garrett wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:Chicago has actually lost thousands of residents over the last few years, not just the city proper but the entire metro. While I have nothing against Chicago I would laugh if it went down the crapper right as ConAgra settled in.
Well Chicago is largely losing blue collar people, not necessarily what ConAgra cares to attract.
It's also hemorrhaging millionaires and losing some middle class people. Crime, corrupt and abusive police, the impending pension crisis and one of the country's worst political classes are taking their toll on the city. While I don't expect Chicago to go full Detroit (or even Cleveland or Philly for that matter) it has huge problems.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Long fun exhausting weekend in the city. Love the L, had a nice AirBnb in a semi decent area. Got about 0 city exploring time, but seeing Lolla next to the skyline and the lake was awesome.

Through my small slice of the city I didn't see a whole lot of construction. A bit of a lull DT maybe? Or I could have simply not hit the popular areas.
Wrightfan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Wrightfan »

iamjacobm wrote: Through my small slice of the city I didn't see a whole lot of construction. A bit of a lull DT maybe? Or I could have simply not hit the popular areas.
You must not have been standing in the right place or had your eye diverted elsewhere.

From March, 2016: "Developers are keeping Chicago architects and construction crews very busy this spring as the list of active high-rise projects continues to grow. At this point in time, the city has 40 such tower projects underway."

http://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chicago- ... uction-map
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am currently in Chicago and construction, especially downtown is definitely live and well. When I have some time, I will post a few pictures.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

My place was more on the south side in a so so neighborhood. Took the orange in every day so didn't see a ton of the core. Was pretty busy with music to see much of the city.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:My place was more on the south side in a so so neighborhood. Took the orange in every day so didn't see a ton of the core. Was pretty busy with music to see much of the city.
There's your issue. The orange line doesn't go near most of the really hot spots. For the most part, all of the new construction is happening near the river, or north of that, along with some stuff in the South Loop, which the orange line also doesn't really pass through.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:My place was more on the south side in a so so neighborhood. Took the orange in every day so didn't see a ton of the core. Was pretty busy with music to see much of the city.
There's your issue. The orange line doesn't go near most of the really hot spots. For the most part, all of the new construction is happening near the river, or north of that, along with some stuff in the South Loop, which the orange line also doesn't really pass through.
Makes sense. Like I mentioned had like zero extra time to deviate from the plan.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Garrett wrote:There's your issue. The orange line doesn't go near most of the really hot spots.
I've ridden the Orange Line just about every trip since it opened, but I don't think I've ever used it except to and from Midway. I admit it is VERY nice for quickly getting to and from Midway from downtown. It's my impression that the Orange Line ridership is almost exclusively townies except for the Loop and the Midway stations. (Well, maybe the Roosevelt transfer.)
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Yeah, the Orange Line goes through some pretty rough areas with nothing for tourists to see.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few of the pics I took while on vacation in Chicago 2 weeks ago:

5. Con Agra's new digs

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wonderful photos of a wonderful metropolis.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I read today that the Tribune Company, owner of the Chicago Tribune, has agreed to sell the iconic Tribune Tower. The Trib will move out of the building sometime next year, leaving the several acre site for redevelopment.
The company only promised that it would not completely leave Chicagoland any time in he near future.
This is truly the end of an era.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nativeomahan wrote:I read today that the Tribune Company, owner of the Chicago Tribune, has agreed to sell the iconic Tribune Tower. The Trib will move out of the building sometime next year, leaving the several acre site for redevelopment.
The company only promised that it would not completely leave Chicagoland any time in he near future.
This is truly the end of an era.
Here's the story in the Tribune....
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

For those interested in architectural history, the 1922 competition for the original design of the Trib Tower had a lasting effect on high-rise design...mostly from the designs that didn't win the competition...

http://skyscraper.org/EXHIBITIONS/PAPER ... trib01.php

....more info about the Gropius/Meyer entry https://thecharnelhouse.org/2014/03/15/ ... ower-1922/
Last edited by GetUrban on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Just read an article, there are currently 44 high-rise towers under construction in Chicago right now... That doesn't include buildings planned, that is what is under construction. Insane...

And what became of the "Spire" project, where they poured the footings and then the recession killed it? Wasn't that supposed to become Chicago's tallest, at over 2,000ft??
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

S33 wrote:Just read an article, there are currently 44 high-rise towers under construction in Chicago right now... That doesn't include buildings planned, that is what is under construction. Insane...

And what became of the "Spire" project, where they poured the footings and then the recession killed it? Wasn't that supposed to become Chicago's tallest, at over 2,000ft??
Yeah, if only we had 1/44th of those projects...

Looks like that spire project was cancelled, unfortunately....
http://www.archdaily.com/564045/santiag ... nally-axed
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Probably best it was cancelled. Didn't need my girlfriend getting turned on by a building as we are out touring the loop.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Yeah, plus the spiral shape would have caused tornadoes to form more often from the updrafts around the building. On second thought, the spirals go up clock-wise which is the opposite of tornadoes....so maybe it wouldn't have been a problem.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

Any of you forumers in Chicago going to Open House Chicago? http://openhousechicago.org/ It looks pretty awesome, wish I was in Chicago this weekend.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I did. It's definitely a fun time. Been looking forward to it all year. Many interesting buildings to tour, but many uninteresting ones too (lots of apartments). If nothing else you can get some great photographs of the city from otherwise impossible vantage points.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Another huge business coup for Chicago. Caterpillar moving their HQ there from Peoria.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:Another huge business coup for Chicago. Caterpillar moving their HQ there from Peoria.
Didn't they just build a new HQ pretty recently?

Edit: Looking at it, apparently that was scrapped. That's a painful loss.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Boy, that tornado siren is EERIE. Strange. To me, it does give a jolting alert...yet it seems a little too playful (or something) for such an immediate, threatening situation, imo.

I do love Chicago. Is it my absolute favorite city? Very possibly. It was growing up, anyways...

I think anybody who loves the city, who loves anything urban, and is a child of the Midwest (like I am), is bound to just love it. It is our "New York." Anybody who's into architecture & design (like I am) probably appreciates that the city is all about the best architecture & design. Its the birthplace of the skyscraper.

When I go there, it has similar weather, trees, and landscape (just flatter), and a downtown on the eastern edge of town facing water -- like Omaha. But, instead of a river, there is a giant blue lake. Instead of a few tall buildings near the water, there is a showcase of towering skyscrapers -- some among the tallest in the world. Instead of a city that sprawls west of the downtown for 10-15 miles, a gigantic metropolitan area fans-out some 40 miles from the lakefront. Large suburban skylines & regional malls are some 35 miles outside of Downtown Chicago -- a distance from Downtown Omaha to Fremont. It has a large, busy, amazing airport. It is also crazy about sports, like folks in my home state. So, it is much like my own Midwestern hometown, but a gigantic version of it -- in a way. I like that familiarity.

When I was a young, after returning from Chicago from the first time, and visiting friends in the Schaumburgh area, I drew this almost drone-like view of the Chicago suburbs, looking east towards their towering skyline, far in the distance. I was captivated at big it all was. And, just the other day, I found this actual aerial of Schaumburgh that is very similar to what I drew. (Look closely for Downtown Chicago on the far horizon, on the right.)

http://inlandrealestate.propertycapsule ... cca03fc85/

I also found this awesome one (I've driven this interstate west out of Chicago before, and it is lined with tons of neat, new office buildings -- including the well-known Naperville office building with the 'N' design on all 4 sides). Look closer to see Downtown Chicago very far away. Just a gigantic metro...

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/upl ... b_3115.jpg

Growing up, I always planned on moving to Chicago, but I never have. Just years back, I considered it again. I still consider it. If so, I always feel mostly drawn to that Schaumburgh area -- not necessarily the heart of the city. Probably because I like Woodfield Mall, and I am very familiar with it. I always stay in a hotel in that area while in town, and then venture into the city. You can get from Downtown Chicago to Schaumburgh on an interstate w/out a toll, too. Something always stops me from moving there, though... I think because I'm not thrilled about the boring landscape (I'm so used to at least some hills & vistas in Omaha), and a variety of other factors about that large, flat metro turn me off -- including the snowier winters. But, any place has its pros & cons, I guess.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Many of you might be interested in the excellent architectural photography of my Instagram friend Nick Ulivieri, of all things bricks, steel and stone in Chicago. Nick_ulivieri