KC's Best BBQ

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

KC's Best BBQ

Post by Brad »

I was going to ask what BBQ to have when in KC. We are heading down there in a few weeks and I wanted to have "The Best" (Lol, so subjective).

Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue (4 locations)
Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) (3 locations)
Arthur Bryant's Legendary Kansas City BBQ (2 locations)
Gates Bar-B-Q (6 locations)

However, I just saw that one of the Gates locations burned down today...
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Gate ... 16501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been to Jack Stacks, but non of the others.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Re: KC's Best BBQ

Post by Seth »

Jack Stacks is the favorite with my wife and I (the beef burnt ends are awesome). It's a good choice for a fancier meal.

A friend who lives in the area likes Oklahoma Joes. If I recall, it's a bit more casual, with really good food.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Speaking of KC BBQ the Gates near the Sports Complex took Smoking to a new level early today and burned to the ground.

http://www.ketv.com/news/gates-barbq-re ... d/31318962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Battalion Chief Mike Ditamore said an employee called firefighters about 1 a.m. Tuesday after seeing a fire around the exhaust system above a grill. The fire spread to the building's attic and roof. No one was injured.
Founder Ollie Gates says it's too early to say if he will rebuild at that location but he will definitely have another restaurant in Independence.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Danny Edwards, Jack Stack, Oklahoma/KC/Whatever Joe's are all amazing. If you haven't tried Danny Edwards, do so... it's by the Boulevard Brewery.

I find Gates and Arthur Bryant's to be incredibly overrated.
No posts exist for this topic
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I've been to 3 of the 4 over the years. Jack Stack is my fave. No particular reason, just is. Bryants is great but the downtown place is a bit earthy. The place over on the Kansas side is more suburban-ish. Gates beef brisket is dynamite but I don't really care for their ribs. Kinda reminded me of Tad's ribs when they once had them. :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

MadMartin8 wrote:Danny Edwards, Jack Stack, Oklahoma/KC/Whatever Joe's are all amazing. If you haven't tried Danny Edwards, do so... it's by the Boulevard Brewery.

I find Gates and Arthur Bryant's to be incredibly overrated.

Totally agree. Also, L.C.'s has delicious burnt ends, and gargantuan brisket sandwiches.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was just at this Gates for lunch 3 weeks ago. My two favorites are Jack Stack and Kansas City Joe's. I still really like Gates though. Great sides, love the beef on bun and they might have the best sauce.

Two others I really like are Hayward's and Smokehouse.

Greg
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Greg S wrote:Two others I really like are Hayward's and Smokehouse.
I had forgotten about Haywards. That's the one way down on Antioch on the Kansas side, right? It's also very good, but I have not been there for some time.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omababe wrote:
Greg S wrote:Two others I really like are Hayward's and Smokehouse.
I had forgotten about Haywards. That's the one way down on Antioch on the Kansas side, right? It's also very good, but I have not been there for some time.
Yep that's it. New owner now, and they've cleaned it up some. Same taste/recipe though.

Greg
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Greg S wrote:Yep that's it.  New owner now, and they've cleaned it up some.  Same taste/recipe though.
That's good to know. Thanks. I haven't been to that area much since the Metcalf Mall took a downward plunge, which was actually some time ago.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I had not been there in a while until recently. I guess their pit master came from Joe's Kansas City. Speaking of Metcalf Mall:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Greg S wrote:Speaking of Metcalf Mall: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mixed Use", how, uh, innovative!

Crossroads of Kansas? :)
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Jack Stack's. Absolutely incredible. But pass on the beef ribs - they're huge, but not as tasty as the pork ones.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I would be all for a forum day trip to KC for some Q. And beer. Maybe come spring?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:I would be all for a forum day trip to KC for some Q.  And beer.  Maybe come spring?
That could be arranged. :cheers:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Was in KC for work Tuesday and Wednesday. Went to Haywards this time, had a combo beef brisket/burnt ends sandwich. The brisket might have been the most tender piece of beef I've ever had. Yesterday hit Smokehouse on the way out of town (I went to the one in Zona Rosa but they have 4 locations now). It was very very good as well.

Lately I've been going mainly to Kansas City Joe's and Jack Stack and only occasionally Gates. I will now be going to Haywards and Smokehouse on even terms with Joe's and Jack.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I had KC Joes for lunch today. The origional location in the gas station. It was really good, but if you don't want to drive 3 hours, Phat Jacks in Lincoln is every bit as good if not better. We had Burt Ends, ribs, and Brisket. Burnt ends are always my favorite. Phat Jacks burnt ends are my all time favorite, but these are righ up there with PJs.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

We always order Joe's to go. The ambiance of eating in a gas station isn't worth the wait, and you'll can get something else done while you wait for your food. We usually go with the kids, so we eat in the hotel room and the kids can have mac-and-cheese. Everybody wins; no complaints.

Our top two are Joes and Fiorella's Jack Stack. Joes meat is a little better, but Jack Stack's sides are amazing. Can't go wrong with either. Gates isn't bad, but they are a distant third.

Arthur Bryants is awful. Bryants (and Gates, for the most part) survives on their name alone.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Mike you really need to try Hayward's if you have not been in some time. Was completely blown away last time. Smokehouse was close too.

With my family we had got to the point where we were just going to Jack Stack and KC Joe's. We are now mixing it up some.

Agree on Arthur Bryant's. I do still think Gates sauce might be at the top of the food chain.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Tried Q39 in November, and it's good...just not up to the Joes/Jack Stack level. One thing I found curious was that they season their brisket after it's sliced. That shouldn't be necessary at all, but they do it. It's an upscale joint just west of Westport. Joes continues to be consistently good, but the Plaza location of Jack Stack appears to be slipping...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I had some friends go to Q39 last summer and they had similar thoughts to Mike.

Last Tuesday I ate at Jack Stack in the Freight house and on Wednesday went to Smokehouse in Zona Rosa. Both were top notch. In November went to the new Jack Stack in Lee's Summit (fantastic on the inside and out, would be so cool if they built one in Omaha. Not sure when you went to Jack Stack on the Plaza but if it was last week they had just put in a new computer system and were having "glitches." They took a little longer at the Freight House and kept apologizing. Though I'm betting your issue was more food related.

Greg
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Me and some friends were on a trip and decided to eat some BBQ in KC. It was just happenstance we decided to go to Jack Stack, since we had no idea where to start. It was definitely the best BBQ I've had. The atmosphere really makes you feel like you're fine dining, and the prices are really fine.

Good to know we hit the target!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

FYI Heyward's has moved from their original location:

New Location as of February 1, 2016: 12804 Santa Fe Trails Drive, Lenexa, KS

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Went to KC for a daytime Royals game last week. Went to the newly rebuilt Gates on Highway 40, (the original burned down in a fire). Gates used to be one of my favorites but in my experience had slipped in the last 10 years. I will say I have never had a better brisket sandwich than what I got at Gates BBQ last Tuesday.

Gates will again be in my regular rotation again.

Greg
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Just saw this thread, and noticed in 2 years no one has mentioned good, real BBQ? Texas, c'mon folks!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I was recently back in KC and had BBQ at both BB's Lawnside as well as Jack Stack at the Freighthouse. BB's has a fantastic Roadhouse atmosphere, and is located in a somewhat sketchy south side neighborhood. The food is a blend of Cajun meets BBQ, and there is live blues music almost every night. Diners sit at communal tables. The food ranges from "average" to very good, depending on the item. Not one of KC's best BBQ spots, food wise, but better than any place in Omaha when you team the atmosphere with the food quality.
And Jack Stack still is the place to beat. We ate on a Friday evening and there was a half hour wait at 6:30 pm for a table. The burnt ends really can't be beat. The beans and sauce are extraordinarily good. Skip the onion rings, they look better than they taste. The atmosphere is close to elegant.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nativeomahan wrote:I was recently back in KC and had BBQ at both BB's Lawnside as well as Jack Stack at the Freighthouse. BB's has a fantastic Roadhouse atmosphere, and is located in a somewhat sketchy south side neighborhood. The food is a blend of Cajun meets BBQ, and there is live blues music almost every night. Diners sit at communal tables. The food ranges from "average" to very good, depending on the item. Not one of KC's best BBQ spots, food wise, but better than any place in Omaha when you team the atmosphere with the food quality.
And Jack Stack still is the place to beat. We ate on a Friday evening and there was a half hour wait at 6:30 pm for a table. The burnt ends really can't be beat. The beans and sauce are extraordinarily good. Skip the onion rings, they look better than they taste. The atmosphere is close to elegant.

All Jack Stack locations are good, but Freighthouse is definitely my favorite.

Greg