800 Room Convention Hotel Annoinced for KCMO

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

800 Room Convention Hotel Annoinced for KCMO

Post by nativeomahan »

An 800 room Hyatt Convention hotel is to be announced for downtown KCMO, across from their convention hall, and near the Power & Light District.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 57803.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: 800 Room Convention Hotel Annoinced for KCMO

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow the city is kicking in $50 Million ($2 million per year for 25 years) Ouch!!! Hope it meets expectations.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Sweet Jesus. Probably will be finished by the time Shamrock gets started.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Dear Omaha,

You may now weep.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Everyone keeps talking about this. Good for KC, but the Omaha market doesn't warrant a hotel that large. Sure, it would have been nice to have a nicer, taller Hilton in Omaha, but we still have a 600 room hotel, which is larger than any hotel in Iowa, South Dakota or Nebraska. Thinking about the KC hotel, I am not sure that they need a new 800 room hotel either for their demand. I could be wrong.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Everyone keeps talking about this. Good for KC, but the Omaha market doesn't warrant a hotel that large. Sure, it would have been nice to have a nicer, taller Hilton in Omaha, but we still have a 600 room hotel, which is larger than any hotel in Iowa, South Dakota or Nebraska. Thinking about the KC hotel, I am not sure that they need a new 800 room hotel either for their demand. I could be wrong.
They were initially thinking 1000 rooms. I think they will be fine. Love that location, with the light rail going right by it, and perfectly situated for the convention center, Kauffman Center, and Power and Light/Spring Center. When we go to KC we now usually stay downtown at the Marriott. Love that place. This area just keeps getting better.

Greg
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

skinzfan23 wrote:we still have a 600 room hotel
I was wondering the other day when reading this thread how many rooms it was. If only they built a tower instead of the wall, it would have been a lot cooler.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

It's got nothin' on our giant turd the Great Wall
Of Hilton!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha turns down a 30 floor hotel and now can't even get a 15 floor one to break ground as other cities are hitting critical mass. Wow have times changed congratulations KC!
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Even if they do get their 800 room fancy hotel, they'll probably take it in the butt on financing again like they did with the Power and Light District. Keep things in perspective.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Let's remember a couple of things. Omaha got the CLink built way before DSM & KC built theirs, and with a connected hotel and the CLink is a combined arena & convention center. Now I've been whining about the Omaha connected hotel that was built versus the one Hal Daub wanted since fahey took office but the fact is that Omaha got the job done first. Des Moines does have an arena and convention center but no visible development in the neighborhood since. Kansas City did build the Sprint Center finally but with no hotel.

IF the proposed Marriott does get built it will put the number of first class hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity of the CLink at almost 1,000 with a lot more rooms within walking distance. Not bad "for Omaha".

I'm just saying that in this case Omaha has been very proactive in this regard. And the Hilton did finally get to the 600 room total.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

NovakOmaha wrote:Let's remember a couple of things. Omaha got the CLink built way before DSM & KC built theirs, and with a connected hotel and the CLink is a combined arena & convention center. Now I've been whining about the Omaha connected hotel that was built versus the one Hal Daub wanted since fahey took office but the fact is that Omaha got the job done first. Des Moines does have an arena and convention center but no visible development in the neighborhood since. Kansas City did build the Sprint Center finally but with no hotel.

IF the proposed Marriott does get built it will put the number of first class hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity of the CLink at almost 1,000 with a lot more rooms within walking distance. Not bad "for Omaha".

I'm just saying that in this case Omaha has been very proactive in this regard. And the Hilton did finally get to the 600 room total.
Thanks for mentioning all that. I think we need to keep it in perspective. Omaha has done exceptionally well for a city and metro of its size. In fact, you could argue that Omaha is probably better when it comes to those things than any other city its size in the country.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

KC's hotels are more concentrated around the convention center. Their primary one is the Marriot with I believe is 980 rooms, you have several other full time hotels around the convention center-Aladdin and Crown Plaza. Both the Marriott and the Aladdin both went through multi-million dollar remodels. Now you have the probability of an 800 room hotel being added to the area. The convention center/P and L/ Sprint Center/Kauffman area is really taking off. Plus the light rail.

Des Moines is a mess. So isolated.

I'm not knocking the Clink, it's been good for Omaha. Can't we all agree though, that the area around it has failed to take off like we'd hope, considering it was the first of the 3 new arenas to open (you could throw in PBA now too). With so many big surface lots and the failure to truly capitalize on the riverfront, we still have a ways to go. We're past 10 years since it opened.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Spot on Greg. The surface lots west of the CLink should have been developed by now with garages and retail on the first floor. While KCLive is cool I would give the award to Lincoln for "Arena District" development. The game isn't over for any of these cities, Omaha, Des Moines, KC and Lincoln. Certainly the area between the CLink & Creighton could always be done right over time. I sure would have liked to see the riverfront from south of Eppley to south of Conagra developed with residential, office, retail, etc.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

NovakOmaha wrote: The game isn't over for any of these cities, Omaha, Des Moines, KC and Lincoln. Certainly the area between the CLink & Creighton could always be done right over time. I sure would have liked to see the riverfront from south of Eppley to south of Conagra developed with residential, office, retail, etc.
That is the one nice thing about the lack of development near the Centurylink. The area is ready for it at any time. It could be worse if the city just let anyone in there and we ended up with a bunch of strip centers or 1-2 story buildings. I am glad that the city's long term vision still includes 4-5 stories with parking garages and ground level retail.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I agree it would be worse if they just let anybody come in and develop the riverfront/Clink areas, but the fact that very little substantial, innovative, exciting development has happened over the last 10 years is indicative that something is wrong with the overall management, leadership, and promotion of the area.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:I agree it would be worse if they just let anybody come in and develop the riverfront/Clink areas, but the fact that very little substantial, innovative, exciting development has happened over the last 10 years is indicative that something is wrong with the overall management, leadership, and promotion of the area.
+1

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

RNcyanide wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I agree it would be worse if they just let anybody come in and develop the riverfront/Clink areas, but the fact that very little substantial, innovative, exciting development has happened over the last 10 years is indicative that something is wrong with the overall management, leadership, and promotion of the area.
+1
Yeah lets try not to give the city too much credit for basically doing the bare minimum and letting strip malls come into downtown.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm kicking myself for losing it but for years I had a multi page spread from the owh that had renderings of the CLink and surrounding area showing the entire proposal...garages with retail where the parking lots are, development along Cuming, future addition to the CLink convention center, etc.
If I still lived in Omaha I'd try to go to the downtown library and look for microfiche of old owh's and try to find it (if the library still has that kind of stuff). I think it was from a few months before the vote.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NovakOmaha wrote:I'm kicking myself for losing it but for years I had a multi page spread from the owh that had renderings of the CLink and surrounding area showing the entire proposal...garages with retail where the parking lots are, development along Cuming, future addition to the CLink convention center, etc.
If I still lived in Omaha I'd try to go to the downtown library and look for microfiche of old owh's and try to find it (if the library still has that kind of stuff). I think it was from a few months before the vote.
Is this the one you're thinking of?

https://jolsonurbanist.files.wordpress. ... tudy-i.pdf

It was posted on page 28 in the North Downtown thread too...
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

The problem Omaha has is we are trying to build a large district from scratch and on contaminated soil. Several different land owners complicate development too as they all have different interests. Competition from other parts of Omaha has taken away pieces that North Downtown could have used. Imagine if the Centurylink Center had newer elements from MC, Aksarben, Benson, downtown, etc, around it. Shamrock already faces competition at two other sites on Capitol, and the arena is going against three other arenas in the metro.

The CenturyLink Center could have been built next to an established district like PBA was, and Omaha would have had quite a bit of development right outside the arena like we all want. But instead, we used the arena to clean up an awful, isolated part of town. Although development is spread out, we've landed some very good projects including Gallup. We still have a long way to go to fill out the area. Some progress could be made if MECA would loosen their grip on the lots, but they do have reason to be protective. And the lots are huge so they wouldn't fill up all that quickly either.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GetUrban wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I'm kicking myself for losing it but for years I had a multi page spread from the owh that had renderings of the CLink and surrounding area showing the entire proposal...garages with retail where the parking lots are, development along Cuming, future addition to the CLink convention center, etc.
Is this the one you're thinking of?

https://jolsonurbanist.files.wordpress. ... tudy-i.pdf

It was posted on page 28 in the North Downtown thread too...
Not the one I had in mind. The one I was thinking of was a multipage spread in the OWH detailing the proposal for the arena/convention center. It may even have been a special section. I may have to visit Omaha one of these days & find the sucker.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote: I think it was from a few months before the vote.
So around what date do you think that would have been?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

This could be it...but it is not before the Quest was built...but it is an OWH article at least.. :-)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=77118

Looks like some of the same stuff included in the report I posted above.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Coyote wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote: I think it was from a few months before the vote.
So around what date do you think that would have been?
I think I have it narrowed down to sometime in 1999 or 2000. It appears that the vote was in 2000.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

You can probably find the article in the on-line OWH archives, but I think there would be a fee, and I'm not sure if they let you post a link.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GetUrban wrote:You can probably find the article in the on-line OWH archives, but I think there would be a fee, and I'm not sure if they let you post a link.
I did a couple of searches but the problem is that the results are in limited text with no pictures. I can't tell from the text if it's the article or not. I may try to whittle the date range & then make some time next time I'm in Omaha to look at old microfiche or maybe old papers.

What's the legalese regarding taking a picture of an owh article and posting it here? How about scanning it and emailing the scan to whoever wants to see it?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The latest, including a new rendering:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 48398.html
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That is a squatty building, those original renderings seemed a lot more promising.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:That is a squatty building, those original renderings seemed a lot more promising.
Do you think there is a KC version of MTO saying "Jesus, why can't we be like Des Moines? Why do they always get the towers and ours Shrink?!"?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:That is a squatty building, those original renderings seemed a lot more promising.
Do you think there is a KC version of MTO saying "Jesus, why can't we be like Des Moines? Why do they always get the towers and ours Shrink?!"?
I didn't see any mentions of Des Moines on SSC.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1817236
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 54&page=10
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

The kcrag forum has a downtown Desmoines thread from 2005 that someone revived in 2016... But I don't see "Jesus, why can't we be like Des Moines?" anywhere.
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1 ... Des+Moines
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

The kcrag forum has a downtown Desmoines thread from 2005 that someone revived in 2016... But I don't see "Jesus, why can't we be like Des Moines?" anywhere.
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1 ... Des+Moines

A joke kids, a joke.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah it's going to be a couple floors shorter. Definitely liked the original design better.

Greg
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I'm a little late but I prefer the new rendering. I hated the first one, I think the only thing most people liked about it was the height.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:I'm a little late but I prefer the new rendering. I hated the first one, I think the only thing most people liked about it was the height.

The height won't be a big difference in the end, most likely only 2 stories.

Greg
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I think the new rendering is pretty boring too. The one before was really great looking, while the new one looks more or less like the one we have in the Old Market
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

That is awesome. Funny, my sibling's significant other told me about this (he's in construction) just over Christmas, and I had never heard about it. It would really impact the KC skyline. I love KC.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.