Des Moines: 32-story Mandelbaum Tower

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Des Moines: 32-story Mandelbaum Tower

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

We are on cloud nine in Des Moines today! $85 Million 32-story mixed-use tower featuring a movie theater and luxury apartments on the current site of the 5th and Walnut Garage. Construction is anticipated after the new Hy-Vee opens (across the street on Court Avenue) late next year and the existing garage is demo'd. The Des Moines City Council will probably hold a moratorium so other projects can be submitted before selecting a proposal.

Renderings:

Project includes:
-Nine-screen upscale movie theater featuring premium food, drinks and seating with a lobby and bar/restaurant on Court. The theater would be operated by Omaha-based Main Street Theatres.
-An outdoor/indoor rock climbing facility on the Court parking garage facade.
-Jazz club at street level on Walnut.
-Parking garage would have up to 650 spaces, with one level of underground parking and up to five levels of above-ground parking. There would be skywalk connections to Capital Square, Polk County Justice Center and Court Avenue.
-Plans call for a child-care center with outdoor play area and office space.
-The apartments would rise above the parking ramp, with 200 market-rate apartments and a rooftop deck.

Here the link to the project topic on urbandsm.com: http://urbandsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5191
bmt
Home Owners Association

Re: Des Moines: 32-story Mandelbaum Tower

Post by bmt »

Very nice! Pretty interesting idea with the rock climbing wall too.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Good for them. Super envious, but I might feel better once we see what HDR has in store.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

You'll have to forgive many of us in Omaha as we temper your giddiness..

We remember an ambitious and failed 32 story tower attempt for Omaha back about 8-10 years ago (Wallstreet Tower)..

Here in Omaha, we're now happy for the 14 story Marriott hotel and 18-20 story HDR headquarters buildings to be realistic and solid additions to our downtown skyline over the next 3 or so years..

All that said, I hope this building becomes a reality for downtown DSM. Good luck..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The good news for dSM as compared to Omaha the following years after Wallstreet was announced is that the economy is a lot better. I think the building looks great and some glass will make the skyline even better.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That looks fantastic. Also I saw you reference a new Hy Vee opening across the street. Assuming it's a full scale downtown grocery? Nice.

Greg
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Greg S wrote:That looks fantastic. Also I saw you reference a new Hy Vee opening across the street. Assuming it's a full scale downtown grocery? Nice.

Greg
It's actually part of a mixed-use project with apartments and everything. But if I recall, some of the Des Moines forumers are kinda upset because its right in the middle of their entertainment district. It would be like opening a Hy-Vee in the middle of North Downtown, if I recall correctly.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Garrett wrote:
Greg S wrote:That looks fantastic. Also I saw you reference a new Hy Vee opening across the street. Assuming it's a full scale downtown grocery? Nice.

Greg
It's actually part of a mixed-use project with apartments and everything. But if I recall, some of the Des Moines forumers are kinda upset because its right in the middle of their entertainment district. It would be like opening a Hy-Vee in the middle of North Downtown, if I recall correctly.

That's funny. We've been begging for one for years, and they are complaining about theirs. The Cosentino's in DT KC is a part of Power and Light. Absolutely love it. We stay in the area and it's very handy having in the heart of everything. You can even use Power and Light gift cards there.

Greg
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Few are actually complaining at this point. The project was improved and now allows for a future expansion to fill in the lot along 4th Street. Originally, the lot took much more real estate on the block. Most are super excited about this addition downtown. Usually the first question I get about living downtown...where do you get your groceries? Ugh! LOL

EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:Few are actually complaining at this point. The project was improved and now allows for a future expansion to fill in the lot along 4th Street. Originally, the lot took much more real estate on the block. Most are super excited about this addition downtown. Usually the first question I get about living downtown...where do you get your groceries? Ugh! LOL

The HyVee will be so cool!!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Downtown full grocers in our market sizes; is Omaha unlucky and or is Des Moines lucky? How common are they?
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

MTO wrote:Downtown full grocers in our market sizes; is Omaha unlucky and or is Des Moines lucky? How common are they?
Isn't Patrick's in downtown Omaha a full service grocer?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:Few are actually complaining at this point. The project was improved and now allows for a future expansion to fill in the lot along 4th Street. Originally, the lot took much more real estate on the block. Most are super excited about this addition downtown. Usually the first question I get about living downtown...where do you get your groceries? Ugh! LOL

How big is that Hy Vee going to be?

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

daveoma wrote:
MTO wrote:Downtown full grocers in our market sizes; is Omaha unlucky and or is Des Moines lucky? How common are they?
I thought so but the way everyone talks about needing a downtown grocery store makes me think not.
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

MTO wrote:
daveoma wrote:
I thought so but the way everyone talks about needing a downtown grocery store makes me think not.
It's pretty small and pricey. I shopped there once to check it out, but went back to Hy-Vee after. Granted there were two Hy-Vees that were closer to my place in CB.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I get the impression many people avoid it for the same reason "expensive" so I'm surprised it's still open. I've gon out of my way to shop there for the same reason I patronized Dundee hardware. But I'm hoping Patrick's doesn't shutter like Dundee Hardware if a full size chain locates DT.
15-17, 26, 32