New U.S. Map

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

New U.S. Map

Post by Coyote »

Electoral college reform (fifty states with equal population)

Interesting map redrawing the 50 states into population areas around 6,175,000, Political boundaries more closely follow economic patterns, since many states are more centered on one or two metro areas, The capitals of the states are existing states capitals where possible, otherwise large or central cities have been chosen. The suggested names of the new states are taken mainly from geographical features:
  • mountain ranges or peaks, or caves – Adirondack, Allegheny, Blue Ridge, Chinati, Mammoth, Mesabi, Ozark, Pocono, Rainier, Shasta, Shenandoah and Shiprock
  • rivers – Atchafalaya, Menominee, Maumee, Nodaway, Sangamon, Scioto, Susquehanna, Trinity and Willimantic
  • historical or ecological regions – Big Thicket, Firelands and Tidewater
  • bays, capes, lakes and aquifers – Casco, Tampa Bay, Canaveral, Mendocino, Ogallala, Salt Lake and Throgs Neck
  • songs – Gary, Muskogee and Temecula
  • cities – Atlanta, Chicago, Columbia, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington
  • plants – Tule and Yerba Buena
  • people – King and Orange
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: New U.S. Map

Post by daveoma »

I love this map!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

This is pretty neat, although pretty arbitrary.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I am a big fan of political geography.

Someone found a way to create a new Electoral Map that would lead to permanent Republican Majorities in the Electoral College. By creating super Democrat Urban States in all major metro areas it isolates the Democrat votes. Purple Suburban areas are joined to Red Rural areas to make nearly all non-urban states Republican or Toss up states. This is Gerrymandering of the electoral college map.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:I am a big fan of political geography.

Someone found a way to create a new Electoral Map that would lead to permanent Republican Majorities in the Electoral College. By creating super Democrat Urban States in all major metro areas it isolates the Democrat votes. Purple Suburban areas are joined to Red Rural areas to make nearly all non-urban states Republican or Toss up states. This is Gerrymandering of the electoral college map.
If our current states distributed electoral votes like Nebraska and Maine, Obama would have had to buy a ticket to see the Whiltehouse on a tour.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:I am a big fan of political geography.

If our current states distributed electoral votes like Nebraska and Maine, Obama would have had to buy a ticket to see the Whiltehouse on a tour.
That doesn't sound accurate...Obama had 51% of the popular vote vs. 47% for Romney in 2012 and 52.8% vs. 45.6% for McCain in 2008. Our system more accurately reflects the actual popular vote than winner takes all for a state. Why else would republicans in Nebraska be trying to change us to winner takes all?
In 2008, if all states would have used the NE-ME method to award electoral votes, Obama would have still won 56% of electoral votes instead of the 68% he did win. Less, but he still would have won. I didn't check 2012 for this. Gerrymandering of congressional districts does become more of a problem with our system.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.