Unique Project in DC

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Unique Project in DC

Post by iamjacobm »

I ran across this project in DC while doing some research and it fascinated me. A developer is converting an old building into just units. They are all the same rent and you can turn it into an office or your residential space if you want. All units are 1000 Sf and go for $2400 a month no matter the use.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dig ... /#comments
With his latest venture, Washington developer Conrad Cafritz is simply offering units for rent.

He doesn’t care what you do in them. Looking for an apartment? Great, turn the large open area into your living and dining space and the smaller room into your bedroom. Need a small office but want to rent just for a year at a time? Configure the larger area into open-office seating and the smaller room into a private office.
One can imagine some novel interactions arising. As one tenant steps out of his apartment, in his pajamas, to walk his dog, another may pass by, briefcase in hand, on the way to a meeting in the unit next door.

Seldin said that’s where the world is headed anyway. And he pointed out that each tenant will have access to a kitchen, a washer and dryer, and a full bathroom.

“When you’re living and when you’re working continue to blur,” he said. “And the idea that you need to sequester different physical spaces for those uses is somewhat anachronistic.”
I am not quite sure if I would even like to live or work in that environment. It certainly does raise a conversation about traditional zoning and mixed use and where the line between home and work is headed.