The Bridges of Madison County

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

The Bridges of Madison County

Post by RockHarbor »

Yesterday, I decided to go on a little day trip from Omaha and I saw the Bridges of Madison County -- FINALLY. (I first saw that movie down in South Florida in 2003, and it made me long for the sights & sounds of the Midwest, where I grew up. Plus, I always wanted to go see those bridges. To think they are not that far from Omaha.) Anyways, I saw all 6 bridges that surround Winterset, Iowa. Some are quite a ways down dusty country roads. It was a real treat. They even have a festival in October. I have pics on my phone of all the bridges, but I need to shrink them down first -- which I can't do on my phone. Anyways, anyone ever been? Here's the local website for info: http://www.madisoncounty.com (Afterwards, I rounded off the trip in West Des Moines, where I took pics around the Jordan Creek Mall. I just admire that Athene building & Wells Fargo campus & mall -- I think because Omaha doesn't quite have that large of a new indoor mall, with a spacious lawn and beautiful landscaping, with large new office buildings nearby, with a large parkway running through. Village Point area comes the closest. All the city/suburban "new world" stuff was a contrast from the country "old world" stuff I saw beforehand...) ***Whoops. This needs moved from "Elsewhere" to "Nebraska/Iowa." Sorry...***
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: The Bridges of Madison County

Post by skinzfan23 »

I visited the bridges last fall with a group of people. It really is a beautiful area. Did they do any work on the bridge that recently was lit on fire?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I took these pics in 2005: Bridges of Madison County
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Finally getting to this.... Skinzfan: Glad you've seen them! Yes, it is a beautiful area. Ya know, a lady told me about that bridge fire, and I'm confused because I saw all 6 bridges on the tourist map. I'm assuming that bridge is now gone altogether? I also hear Francesca's farmhouse is gone. Coyote: Absolutely love those! What great, crisp, nice pics. Thanks for sharing that link. Originally 19 bridges?! Funny, I just asked somebody what the point of a covered bridge was, and they thought it was so horses wouldn't get spooked. The protection of the wood from weather & decay even makes more sense. Duh! Thanks again.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The purpose of the covered bridge is to protect the wooden membrane structure from the weather. Most of these were in remote areas and were built "covered" so they didn't need much maintenance.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:The purpose of the covered bridge is to protect the wooden membrane structure from the weather. Most of these were in remote areas and were built "covered" so they didn't need much maintenance.
Makes perfect sense. Loved those covered bridges. I stopped by one in Indiana about 3-4 years ago. Indiana has some, so does Vermont & New Hampshire. A lot of states don't really have them. I think it is special a corner of Iowa has them.