City Council

Re: Voters approve new KCI

Post by iamjacobm »

Good for KC. This is sorely needed.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Sorely needed yes. I think it's funny reading about the new KCI. When it's finished, whenever that is, it will for a time be the nation's newest airport. Just like every other newest airport in the nation. I am enjoying reading comments and stories about how cool it's going to be and how it will bring new service to KCI, including possibly international service. Really? A new airport will do all that? It will be so cool that airlines will expand service and London or Paris will be available non stop? That's a stretch.

The current KCI is horribly lacking in design. Gates are crowded, bathrooms, when available after security, are tiny, food and shopping are also severely lacking post security. Yep, it's awful. On the other hand, it is different. The new airport, IN MY OPINION, will be similar to other airports of that size...Indy, Columbus, etc. It will be another airport of a second tier city. About 1 million people per month will move through it. It won't make someone's socks roll up and down. It won't really give anyone a better or worse opinion of KC. About the best that can be hoped for is that people flying in or out won't have a any impression at all. As opposed to now people will use it and not stop thinking about something else. The current airport probably makes people stop thinking about other things for a bit and think about how bad the airport in Kansas City is. The BBQ will always give people a good impression. The distance from KCI to the south and west suburbs will give people a less than good impression but they'll get over it.

I don't know. Just a Monday thought.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's not the best for South and West suburbs but it is quick to downtown/convention center.

Greg
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Foundations are getting close to wrapping up in the terminal. Here are some recent renderings of the terminal.

Roadway Approach

Head House from Roadway

Head House interior ft. check in counters, bag drop off, etc

Retail and Services Node 1

Concourse Connector

Concourse - Hold Rooms + Retail

Bag Claim -facing arrivals escalators

Bag Claim - facing pick up curb/garage
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for all your info strangerthings and welcome to eOmahaForums!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Wow that looks sharp.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Louie wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm Wow that looks sharp.
Seconded!
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

KCI Steel Update July 2020 - Short Version

First Precast Concrete Piece Installation - KCI Airport New Terminal

strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

strangerthings wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:00 am Image
Thanks for the update. Appreciate all your posts and info on KC!

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Almost as overdue as DSM. For those of us who used to drive to KCI for cheap non stop flights liked the car to gate distance. Not so much for connecting folks. The new one should be nice, however much they've cut out amenities.

DSM? Not sure when but holy cow do they need a new terminal. The current one is straight out of Hooterville.
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Worst airport I've been in lately is SEA. Growing too fast, at least until Feb 2020...

Close second is MSP. Hodgepodge of gates and concourses and a lot of walking.

Best is DTW, hands down.
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Feb Drone video

[youtube][/youtube]

Photos from the past few weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BuildKCI/ph ... e_internal
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

damonhynes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm Worst airport I've been in lately is SEA. Growing too fast, at least until Feb 2020...

Best is DTW, hands down.
I have actually grown to really appreciate ATL. It's really easy to navigate and some great food options. Love that they have some of the local places like Varsity.

Greg
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 am
damonhynes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm Worst airport I've been in lately is SEA. Growing too fast, at least until Feb 2020...

Best is DTW, hands down.
I have actually grown to really appreciate ATL. It's really easy to navigate and some great food options. Love that they have some of the local places like Varsity.

Greg
I was going to hit the Varsity at ATL last month, but I had a tight connection and it was in a different terminal.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:38 am
Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 am

Best is DTW, hands down.

Greg
I was going to hit the Varsity at ATL last month, but I had a tight connection and it was in a different terminal.

If I have time I always eat there, even if it's early. My gate though is never in that terminal so it does require a decent layover.

Greg
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Permanent power turned on today. HVAC in June.
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Build KCI Facebook Page posted these photos showing how a Departure Lounge is coming along...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 2491496976
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Delta is building an 11,000 sqft lounge at the new terminal. ~4,800 sqft is the size of their lounges in IND, NOLA, and Raleigh.
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Garage Glass Installation Begins
Shingled glass installation is underway on the Kansas City International Airport New Terminal parking garage with more than 100 pieces installed to date. The average weight of each piece is 1,600 pounds, with some of the larger pieces weighing in at just under a ton. Click on the images to view larger.

Moving Walkways Installed
Treads are being installed on the Kansas City International Airport New Terminal’s four moving walkways in the connector between the concourses. Each of the walkways’ 1,000 – 1,200 treads are installed by hand. When complete, they will move at a pace of 100 feet per minute, which will transport standing travelers at 1.4 miles per hour and walking passengers at approximately 2.24 miles per hour. Moving walkway protocol is stand on right, walk on left! Of course, travelers have the option to walk on their own in the center of the connector. At the halfway point of the connector there will be a break in the walkways into an open area. This space will feature a display outlining the history of the airport property, aviation in Kansas City and of the airport itself. Click on the photos to view larger.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I know it's needed & the new KCI will be a fine airport but the old one had such a different feel from pretty much every other mid to large size airport with the car to gate being measured in feet. For those few who connected I'm sure it was a pain. I liked it before 9/11. After, not so much.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

NovakOmaha wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:09 pm I know it's needed & the new KCI will be a fine airport but the old one had such a different feel from pretty much every other mid to large size airport with the car to gate being measured in feet. For those few who connected I'm sure it was a pain. I liked it before 9/11. After, not so much.
It worked until 9/11. When they had to up security, there wasn’t much space left. I remember waiting for a flight, and having to go in and out of security to go to the restroom!
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Ceiling

Terrazzo

installation work is underway across the Kansas City International Airport New Terminal with approximately 20 percent complete on the arrivals (lower) level and nearly 50 percent complete on the departures (upper) level.

Boarding Bridges

Kansas City International Airport New Terminal Progress January 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEu_rqnxfo
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

KC recieved a state grant to help secure international flights. Total package is up to $6-7 million now. Should expect to see a direct flight to Europe next summer.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Would KCI have been rebuilt anyway without the ballot issue? Seems like a bunch o' airports are getting major overhauls right now (including Eppley), and they're mostly/entirely paid for by the feds? If that's the case, it creates disincentives for local investment in this type of infrastructure.
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

riceweb wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:44 am Would KCI have been rebuilt anyway without the ballot issue? Seems like a bunch o' airports are getting major overhauls right now (including Eppley), and they're mostly/entirely paid for by the feds? If that's the case, it creates disincentives for local investment in this type of infrastructure.
No because any new debt needed a vite
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know the losing vendors were challenging the bid for concessions., not sure if that was resolved, just went away or is ongoing. The winning group was from Canada and to me had the least attractive lineup of local KC places.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

On the KCRAG board they are pining for a hub & overseas flights. I have serious doubts about a hub. Southwest flies about half the total now. I suppose they'll pick up a few new destinations but a hub? It's been tried & didn't work out all that well. These days OMA & DSM have flights to more destinations than ever, thus not as much of an incentive to make the multi hour drive each way. As for overseas its a gimmick and doesn't add much to the total. It will definitely be nicer than the old layout but will look like most other airports. The old three terminal curved layout was unique...not efficient but unique.
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

NovakOmaha wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:15 am On the KCRAG board they are pining for a hub & overseas flights. I have serious doubts about a hub. Southwest flies about half the total now. I suppose they'll pick up a few new destinations but a hub? It's been tried & didn't work out all that well. These days OMA & DSM have flights to more destinations than ever, thus not as much of an incentive to make the multi hour drive each way. As for overseas its a gimmick and doesn't add much to the total. It will definitely be nicer than the old layout but will look like most other airports. The old three terminal curved layout was unique...not efficient but unique.
A hub is unlikely in my opinion but an increase in connecting traffic is pretty much guaranteed.

Direct Europe flights have a massive economic impact. Estimated to be about $100 million for a mid-sized city like KC or STL
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

strangerthings wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:04 pm
NovakOmaha wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:15 am On the KCRAG board they are pining for a hub & overseas flights. I have serious doubts about a hub. Southwest flies about half the total now. I suppose they'll pick up a few new destinations but a hub? It's been tried & didn't work out all that well. These days OMA & DSM have flights to more destinations than ever, thus not as much of an incentive to make the multi hour drive each way. As for overseas its a gimmick and doesn't add much to the total. It will definitely be nicer than the old layout but will look like most other airports. The old three terminal curved layout was unique...not efficient but unique.
A hub is unlikely in my opinion but an increase in connecting traffic is pretty much guaranteed.

Direct Europe flights have a massive economic impact. Estimated to be about $100 million for a mid-sized city like KC or STL
Speaking for myself, I'd absolutely drive to KC for a direct flight to Europe.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

strangerthings wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:04 pm A hub is unlikely in my opinion but an increase in connecting traffic is pretty much guaranteed.
We'll see. I'd be a little surprised to see anything significant connecting wise given that the one airline who might do it, has much larger operations at fairly geographically close airports. Southwest is already connecting 37% of their passengers at STL and 35% at DEN. Add in even MDW to the Northeast and to an extent something Southwest like DAL and it isn't exactly clear what connecting passengers through KC would be accomplishing for them.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Louie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:08 pm Speaking for myself, I'd absolutely drive to KC for a direct flight to Europe.
[/quot

To each his own but I don't really understand the logic. Drive 2-3 hours to fly out of KCI vs fly to Chicago, MSP, New York or a larger hub. You fly back to KCI & you have a 2-3 hour drive to get home. I did that when Southwest flew out of KCI & not Omaha. I hated the drive home.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We did that too back in the day (driving to KC because flights were so much cheaper). Southwest coming to Omaha might have been the best thing that ever positively impacted Eppley. Prior to that we probably flew out of KC as much as Omaha because the fares were so much cheaper.

For direct flights to Europe we'd definitely make the drive to KC. Between delays and the stress of making connecting flights I would prefer to just get on the same plane as my luggage and not have to worry about 1 or the other not making it.

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:04 am We did that too back in the day (driving to KC because flights were so much cheaper). Southwest coming to Omaha might have been the best thing that ever positively impacted Eppley. Prior to that we probably flew out of KC as much as Omaha because the fares were so much cheaper.

For direct flights to Europe we'd definitely make the drive to KC. Between delays and the stress of making connecting flights I would prefer to just get on the same plane as my luggage and not have to worry about 1 or the other not making it.

Greg
Exactly, if my end destination is London, flying direct and leaving a car in KC is honestly a no brainer.
TransitOriented
Library Board

Post by TransitOriented »

In regards to international travel, the gains will be with Delta / SkyTeam. Why else would they build the big lounge? You'll gain a few AeroMexico codeshares, a flight or two to the Caribbean and possibly a Europe flight. A flight to Korea would be super cool but doubtful since Delta flies there from Atlanta and Detroit.
I would like to see new international service to destinations not currently served by any other US city.