Something else for Des Moines and Omaha to compete over

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DMRyan
Human Relations

Something else for Des Moines and Omaha to compete over

Post by DMRyan »

Des Moines zoo officials, and ex-Iowa governor, and Asian Alliance of Iowa have begun the attempt to "lease" pandas from China as well. HD Zoo is further along in the process, is obviously a much better zoo, and probably has a better facility to house pandas, so this may be a long shot for Des Moines. Can't blame one for trying though, and I never discount the work of former Iowa Governor Bob Ray.

Here's the DSM Register article:

Des Moines Sets its Sights on Pair of Pandas
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Hey! I've got an idea... put the pandas inside the big new Iowa rainforest and hand out chocolate Arbor Day Iowa state quarters to the kids as they come in to see them.

Come on Iowa... lead... Lead!... ... LEAD!? :D

Seriously, congratulations and good luck. Although it would be nice if Omaha/Nebraska could have a few unique attractions to set itself apart from it's neighbors (of course I'm joking about the quarter... Foundations in Education... I know).
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ryan, I read the article in the Register on line. It sounds like the Iowa people may have an inside track to the pandas. It also sounds like the building would be really cool.

Have to wait & see.

By the way Ryan, did you happen to go to the open house at Wells Fargo Arena? I heard Gordy Howe was going to be there.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think Omaha will do just fine. Most folks seem unaware that the Henry Doorly Zoo is not only a great zoo... but it is a world leader in reproductive research and also already holds a seat on the AZA's Species Survival Plan for the Giant Panda consortium.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I don't know, DSM may have the China connections, but HDZ has the facility, the reputation, and possibly the money to do this...immedately.

Novak, I wasn't able to go to the arena opening, I guess Gordy Howe's appearance wasn't enough to move me. There are a few photos of the new Wells Fargo Arena interior on our website, courtesy of one of our forumers.

Jeff, I hear you about letting Eastern Nebraska have at least one unique attraction. It's not as if Iowa is entirely mimicing what's going on in Nebraska, there's been a lot of unique statewide attractions that have opened up here as a result of VisionIowa funds too.

I guess we'll never see eye to eye on the quarter thing though. :)
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

as a result of VisionIowa funds too.
You just threw that in to upset me off you |expletive|!

As for the Iowa state quarter, it wouldn't even bother me if it wasn't compounded by Nebraska picking the usual wagon design (carrying the pioneers on their way out of the state you idiots!).
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

When is Iowa going to build "their" archway over I 80 by Avoco or Williamsburg?

:lol:
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

After the Vortex Tower is built in downtown Waterloo.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Is that going to be complete around the same time as the mississippi river pedestrian bridge?
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

You mean never? :wink: