Malvern 'Emerging'

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Malvern 'Emerging'

Post by icejammer »

Nice story about my favorite town to stop in along the Wabash Trace, sounds like this is one small town that is moving in the right direction - 90 new homes in a town of 1300 is pretty impressive:

'Hidden gem' of Malvern is emerging
New rooftops, a million-dollar library addition and a few niche storefronts are transforming this Mills County farming town.

and

This year, a 22-unit subdivision will break ground on the east end of Seventh Street. Another developer has plans to put 40 to 50 houses on adjacent farmland. Near the entrance to Malvern, Glenwood contractor Mark Hughes recently staked out a 25-lot subdivision at U.S. Highway 34 and 242nd Street.

and

"I think Malvern has kind of been a hidden jewel for a long time," Burdic said. "As a community of 1,300, we have our own city swimming pool, our own public golf course and our own elementary and high school. To me that is very rare in Iowa, and it's a special thing."
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

It sure is. There was also talk of them merging schools in the future with other nearby districts.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Yeah, I would imagine Nishna Valley to be the most likely candidate; getting voter approval in the 2 districts might not be easy.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Ankeny Husker Freak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

Wow, good for Malvern. I grew up in Red Oak and when I do get that way, the growth that has occured in Glenwood is unreal.

From Malvern & Glenwood, you're closer to downtown Omaha than you are coming from the westside, so it's no wonder why word is getting out about these bedroom towns.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

This area is only going to see more growth. I'm hoping to see Treynor become hot soon too. My town (Tabor), has seen some new houses go up too. Glenwood seems to be benefiting the most...when you drive around Mills County...houses are going up everywhere. How many homes were in that development near Mineola?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Josh-

You're from Tabor? :lol: I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing at what my bumpkin family told me about that place.
DTO
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Once the new bridge gets built down that way, Mills County should really take off. I am surprised that Treynor hasn't seen more growth already - I think they have the best small school around and it's a shorter drive than to Glenwood.

--William Jennings Bryan
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

In order for Treynor to take off...the IDOT would need to make IA 92 four lanes (it's already a super two). I went to HS at Treynor for a while...and it was the best school I went to (the others being Malvern-preschool and kindergarten, Fremont-Mills-1-7, and Irwin-Kirkman-Manilla Schools, 11-12). I know their enrollment is increasing though due to the district line going into some of the subdivisions going up east of CB. It's a great little town that has amazing college prep classes. Getting an A in that environment was an accomplishment. I'm glad the secret hasn't been let out.

About Tabor-It's a nice, quaint town. They actually have a cute little downtown...complete with a grocery store, drug store, bank, restaurant, a couple of bars, etc. I don't really go there much anymore, except to see Grandma.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Malvern boasts a booming business district
Malvern may not be New York City, but with many different shops popping up along Main Street, the town of 1,256 is beginning to not just survive but rather thrive. . . .

Lori Hunt, owner of Pondibilities, a seasonal water garden specialty shop, believes businesses that are unique can flourish in small towns. . .

"We like the idea of doing this in a small town," Hunt said. "People like to come and get the extra help and selection of products they might not find in a box store." . . .

Anita Reich opened one of the first distinctive businesses in Malvern - a coffee shop called Lätte Dä. Charlie and Cindy Bowley bought it in 2007 and recently changed the name to Bowley Bistro and Coffee Ground.

The small town espresso bar has been a retreat for many in the community and has become a place for local artists to showcase their talent. . . .

The Bowleys are also in the planning stage of opening a sports lounge. Wanting to stay away from the sports bar feel, the couple desires to provide a "homey" atmosphere using couches, fireplaces and TVs with Wii games. . . .

Joyfully Yours Country Décor opened in April. Jeff and Nicki Poort grew up in Malvern, went off to college and spent time living in Ottumwa before returning to Malvern in 2000. . .

Brad Williams was born and raised in Malvern while his wife, Marsha, grew up in Chicago. The two owned the local grocery store for 10 and a half years and began catering. They decided to sell the store to Tom Mulholland and try the restaurant business.

Mulholland is the fourth generation to own the grocery store and always dreamed of getting it back into the family. . .

The Williams wanted to create the Old Market atmosphere of Omaha with Bradley's Grill that opened May 31. . . .

With what seems to be strong businesses emerging, Malvern's Main Street may see a major increase from "outsiders." Many within the community are not surprised. . . .

"It's a great feeling being a part of a community that is growing," Hunt said. "You are a part of something special."

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

'Emerging' is right.  Personally, I'd much rather see southwest Iowa vacated for Omaha/Des Moines.

Light pollution continues to send amateur astronomers like myself driving further on a clear night.

Our 30 year old club site in Cass County already is encountering severe light pollution from exploding Sarpy County.

Some of us have sought darker skies south of Malvern (what made me think of this)... I'm starting to drive still further to Viking Lake State Park... which has about as good a skies as one can find within a reasonable drive of the metro.

Last edited by Stargazer on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I would venture to guess that the two sizable blobs are Omaha and Lincoln...eh?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, and the yellow in the upper right is the edge of the Des Moines metro.

A broader perspective (also illustrating why Cherry County is considered among the nations best/most accessible dark sky regions)...

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Connect the dots for I80....
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Hey Jeff, where did you find that map? I'd like to zoom in around my hometown area and check it out.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:Connect the dots for I80....
Wow, you can really see the frontier in there! All the way from Texas up to Winnipeg.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

More on Malvern...

Malvern Guest House draws from wide area
Greg and Bonnie Pierce of Malvern opened the Pierce Crossing Guest House in 2001.

"My wife and I are outdoor people," Greg Pierce said. "My sister encouraged me to do it because the bike trail goes through town."

Although their original plan was to house bikers, it has turned into much more. . . .

To stay a night at the Pierce Crossing Guest House will cost $50 per couple and $25 for additional guests. Children 5 years old and younger stay for free. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Re: Malvern 'Emerging'

Post by Coyote »

EXCLUSIVE: What's next for Malvern's fire-damaged Mulholland Grocery?

KMTV 3 News Now

In December, a devastating fire followed by a powerful storm demolished Mulholland Grocery in Malvern. The family-run store is more than a century old and owner Tom Mulholland announced in January that he would rebuild and reopen.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mulholland Grocery makes steps to rebuild

KMTV 3 News Now
After Mulholland Grocery, the only grocery store in Malvern, Iowa was demolished the owner has been struggling to rebuild the community staple. Now, after steps forward, a new banner on the site shows hope for the store and the community.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'Make the future brighter': Malvern grocery store ready to rebuild a year after fire
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Malvern, Iowa grocery store owner talks rebuild one year after devastating fire

Marlo Lundak, WOWT wrote:Just 40 minutes southeast of Omaha, the small town of Malvern, Iowa, lost its only grocery store one year ago. Around 5:30 p.m. on December 13, 2021, Tom Mulholland got the call that no one ever wants to get. “I’d gone home, I hadn’t even done anything yet, I’d been sitting for a few minutes and I got the phone call that I needed to hurry back to the store, that it was on fire,” Mulholland tells 6 News on Tuesday. His grocery store, Mulholland Grocery, which has been in his family since the 1870s, was engulfed in flames. Mulholland recalls rushing into the store and grabbing a fire extinguisher.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Small Iowa town battered in hail storm begins damage recovery

Malvern, Iowa was at the center of a thunderstorm Wednesday that rocked the community.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Malvern, Iowa community rebuilding downtown grocery store after fire

MALVERN, Iowa. (WOWT) - Not having a nearby grocery store can be an inconvenience, especially when you travel more than 20 miles just to get your everyday items. That’s what many small-town residents in Malvern, Iowa have been dealing with since Mulholland Grocery burned down in December 2021. Now, they’re rebuilding a new store. “Just being able to get fresh groceries, produce, meat, and things like that we have to drive to the next town over if we wanted to pick something up,” said resident Nicole Semrau.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Malvern gets hit with hail for the second time in less than a month: 'It's exhausting'

MALVERN, Iowa (KMTV) — After a stormy night people in Malvern, Iowa are dealing with hail damage for the second time in just a few weeks. 3 News Now Photojournalist Kevin Rempe visited local folks to see how they’re faring after last night’s storms. He spoke with Alicia Hagan, the owner of Classic Cafe, which sustained damage in the last storm, as well as Brienne Grant, who said it was 'exhausting' to have two storms in a row.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

150-year revival: Malvern's Art Church

"My brothers and my cousins — we always talked growing up about how we wanted to buy an old Main Street building and do something cool with it." For Jones, the opportunity came 11 years ago in the form of a 150-year-old Presbyterian church which was built just four years after the City of Malvern was established. The church hadn't held services for decades and served, instead, as a community gathering space.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Malvern Producer and Audio Engineer chased music industry passion:
Inducted in Iowa Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa. (KMTV) — "In Nashville it was like the Dixie Chicks, SHeDAISY, that was when Faith Hill was just coming out with her big single, 'I can feel you breath'," said Kent Hertz. "I went to work for Julio Iglesias and ran his studio in the Dominican Republic." For the last 18 years, Hertz has been "Steve Miller of the Steve Miller Band, I've been his personal engineer," said Hertz. Kent Hertz knew he wanted to go into the music industry at a young age, knowing he wanted to be a studio engineer.