Minneapolis council OKs citywide Wi-Fi plan

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Minneapolis council OKs citywide Wi-Fi plan

Post by Uffda »

The Minneapolis City Council approved a plan Friday for a public-private citywide Minneapolis Wi-Fi network, ending a drive by opponents who wanted the city to own the network instead.
Under the plan that the council approved, a private company will build, own and operate the city network at its own expense. The city will become an anchor tenant, and consumers and businesses will be encouraged to buy Internet access and other services. A consumer with a Wi-Fi equipped laptop could access the network anywhere in the city for about $20 a month.

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/268761.html
Erik
Parks & Recreation

WiFI

Post by Erik »

If you dont mind speeds in the 1mb-1.5mb range that would be a good deal....
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

....and the portability and everywhere-access aspect of it SURE isn't worth anything. :roll:

-Big E
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Thats true

Post by Erik »

I was just mearly stating the speed of wifi... i personally think that its a good thing... :D
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

wifi is fast. it's pretty sweet that they're having city wide WIFI, though it would be way cooler if it were free.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Isn’t SF setting up a free wifi net?
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Something like that. The only thing official I've hard so far is that Google is paying for free city wide WIFI some place near Palo Alto (south part of the bay).

The SF one is still in the proposal stage, I believe. As you probably could imagine, a lot of wealthy companies make their money off of internet service and wouldn't be too happy if there was free internet in the city.

However, it would be incredibly easy to do free WIFI here, being as the city is only seven miles long by seven miles wide.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Something at a very minimum, the Old Market (for starters)... if not downtown Omaha entirely should do.
MrTwister
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrTwister »

5 to ten years from now most major metropolitan areas will have citywide wifi networks, and the speed will only increase with technology and investment.

Think of this as the late 70s and cable television is only in the top ten markets.....but wifi will be a lot less difficult and expensive to set up.

Broadband cable networks and DSL are doomed.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

jhuston wrote:Something at a very minimum, the Old Market (for starters)... if not downtown Omaha entirely should do.
MTO as well
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

MrTwister wrote:5 to ten years from now most major metropolitan areas will have citywide wifi networks, and the speed will only increase with technology and investment.

Think of this as the late 70s and cable television is only in the top ten markets.....but wifi will be a lot less difficult and expensive to set up.

Broadband cable networks and DSL are doomed.
I’d say it will be WiMax and the prime providers will most likely be Sprint/Cingular etc teamed up with Cox/Charter…
15-17, 26, 32