Des Moines downtown baseball improvements

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jsheets
Human Relations

Des Moines downtown baseball improvements

Post by jsheets »

Des Moines has just finished making improvements to their downtown baseball stadium, Pinnacle Park home of the Iowa Cubs.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... /604050383
Improvements include a playground, new and more seats, facade improvements, and a new "old-fashioned manual" scoreboard:
the highlight of the $6.8 million improvements lacks pizazz, bells, whistles and multi-colors. The crowning jewel, according to Bernabe, doesn't even use electricity.

"It's the scoreboard," said Bernabe, entering his 22nd season on the job.

Not just any scoreboard. The Iowa Cubs' new scoreboard is manual. Someone hangs the numbers after each half inning.
These are the type of things that get a community excited about having baseball downtown. Hopefully Omaha will come through on this one...
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Here are some pics I took tonight of the improvements... They are also installing a fountain in the left backfield...but it won't be operational until mid-season.

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Looks good. How'd you get in, who do you know?
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

LOL...we asked one of the ground keepers if we could take a few pics (we were denied once by a concessions person 20 minutes earlier). The girl with me wasn't about to give up! LOL They were very nice.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Look'n good Des Moines!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Post that side by side with Omaha, who says Omaha dosn't need a new DTO ballpark. Nice work DSM, and nice photos Ingersoll
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:LOL...we asked one of the ground keepers if we could take a few pics (we were denied once by a concessions person 20 minutes earlier). The girl with me wasn't about to give up! LOL They were very nice.
Adam’s just jealous, he gets caught taking pictures of stairs in a parking garage.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MTO wrote:
Ingersoll1978 wrote:LOL...we asked one of the ground keepers if we could take a few pics (we were denied once by a concessions person 20 minutes earlier). The girl with me wasn't about to give up! LOL They were very nice.
Adam’s just jealous, he gets caught taking pictures of stairs in a parking garage.
Hahaha, ya but we haven't been caught sneaking into you know where. :wink:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well……. Almost did tonight……… :twisted:
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

So when do we get to see the pictures??
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I’ll post a teaser..
15-17, 26, 32
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Good stuff there, I REALLY want to see us get the DT ballpark. Sounds like the bills are advancing for the funding. Thanks for those pics Ingersoll.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I particularly like the Iowa State foul poles, nice touch. Lots of advertising to help pay the bills.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

MTO wrote:Well……. Almost did tonight……… :twisted:
By the way I had to get a tetnis shot for that.
DTO
Ankeny Husker Freak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

As great of a ball park as Principal Park is, one of the things that has always turned me off has been the amount of inside the park advertising. IMO, advertising on the foul poles is a bit excessive.
Harpoon wrote:I particularly like the Iowa State foul poles, nice touch. Lots of advertising to help pay the bills.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The really sad part is that most of those pictures don't show anything new... That park has been mostly that nice for years since its last overhaul... In other words Omaha is even farther behind :)
The new scoreboard is nice though. One of the best parts of Sec Taylor... (yeah yeah) is the views of downtown DSM and the Capital bldg.