Denver 3-day weekend

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Denver 3-day weekend

Post by Big E »

Hey all...

Looks like we're taking a 3-day weekend to Denver next weekend. (The state-wide smoking ban actually tipped it in favor of a trip back to DC/Balto.)

I know there's lots of folks here with lots of opinions, so share 'em! What I'm looking for:

1) What's a good Denver forum to ask locals questions in advance
2) One or two nice, unique places to eat (think Flatiron-esque)
3) Where to stay that we won't need a car, specifically an urban setting
4) No interest in the Rockies or preseason NFL
5) Specifically looking or what makes Denver unique or what is unique to Denver (ie, our Old Market)
6) I'm not a big "sight-seer" on these short trips

So there... any suggestions greatly appreciated.

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Don’t miss Coyote Ugly Saloon!
They have a smoking ban? Last time I was there they where trying to legalize marijuana.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Last time I was in Denver I stayed in the Brown Palace and dined in their Ellyngton. It is close to the 16th St Mall Downtown which has everything. The Cherry Creek area is nice also. But Zephyr could probably give you better ideas.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

It has been a few years since i have been to Denver but I always liked eating at the Fresh Fish Company ---- http://freshfishco.citysearch.com/
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Candleshoe wrote: If kids are involved, you MUST go to Casa bonita restaurant
Like on South Park? Sweeet!
DTO
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Yep, just like on Southpark. Except that Cartman didn't have to wait in line like the rest of us mortals.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Re: Denver 3-day weekend

Post by Zephyr »

1) What's a good Denver forum to ask locals questions in advance
You're best bet is:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdi ... forumid=40
There's mostly Denverites there, but watch out because some of them can get annoying... although they should be helpful...
You can also PM/email/call me if you have any other questions.

2) One or two nice, unique places to eat (think Flatiron-esque)
I have heard great things about McCormick's Fish House and Bar at the Oxford Hotel and Capital Grille at Larimer Square. I can attest to the Palomino and the Palm, both at about 16th and Arapahoe, right by Skyline Park.

3) Where to stay that we won't need a car, specifically an urban setting
I can attest to the new Hyatt Regency, by the new convention center, at 15th and California. I have heard good things about the Magnolia Hotel, Hotel Monaco, and the Brown Palace.

4) No interest in the Rockies or preseason NFL
Good, because I think Rockies tickets are too high anyway, I am going to less and less games each year...

5) Specifically looking or what makes Denver unique or what is unique to Denver (ie, our Old Market)
Definitely LoDo - I really like the Wynkoop Brewery and Trio's Enoteca is a nice wine lounge, both on Wazee by Union Station. Be sure to check out Riverfront Park on the north end of downtown and the Millennium Bridge with all the new developments and if you're into seeing bums littering the urban landscape, check out the State Capitol and Civic Center at the other end of downtown. The 16th Street Mall Shuttle connects both areas. The Pavillions in downtown is also nice - shopping and entertainment area. I would also recommend going to Cherry Creek for shopping and they have some nice restaurants in that area, it's just south of downtown. Make sure you take a trip on light rail and check out Englewood City Center, which is a nice TOD. If you are visiting after November 17, you can ride the new Southeast Corridor. Washington Park (just south of Cherry Creek) is a great park and a nice neighborhood as is the City Park (just east of downtown), where the Denver Museum of Nature and Science is, I am a member there.

6) I'm not a big "sight-seer" on these short trips
Does that mean you won't be going to the mountains?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If you are going to the mountains - I would suggest dining at the Fawn Brook Inn in Allenspark - one of the best restaurants in all of Colorado.

No gloom at the Fawn Brook Inn
Some fine fall day follow the scenic route to Allenspark. Just past the tiny, five-block town is Fawn Brook - a Mobil five-star eatery whose enticing garden is complete with ceramic fawn, bubbling brook and plump, happy hummingbirds.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Cherry Creek Shopping Center... I forgot to include that. It's full of upscale stores with merchandise and prices so stupid, it's a joy just to wander through them. Neiman Marcus, godiva Chocolate, Saks 5th Ave and lots more. I used to drool over the outlandishly high priced stereo equipment at Bang & Olufsen (are they still there?). A really fun mall to window shop thru.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Thanks for all the info, guys. I posted the same basic thing on Skyscraper and we'll see what I get back.

We're staying at the Magnolia downtown. Seems that was booked unbeknownst to me while I was asking for recomendations.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The Magnolia is supposed to be coming to Omaha. They were looking at the Sherton on 16th. They're are only 4 in the country (the others are in Dallas and Houston) so let us know what it's like.
DTO