Sioux City

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahaopinions.com
Home Owners Association

Post by omahaopinions.com »

I know for a fact comparable homes in SC are not twice as much as Omaha. I believe they are about the same if not a little less. A lot of people have lost jobs up in the area and there's not that many others available.
OmahaOpinions.com - Express your opinions!
Kristi
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kristi »

I believe it depends where you are living. My sister and BIL looked at several houses before they bought 5 years ago. The houses at that time were at least $30,000 - $50,00 higher compared to the Omaha market. There were a few that were even more and needed major work done. The houses they had looked at were in the Morningside area and were comparable to the house they had in West Omaha. At the time they were looking, there wasn't as much housing available as there is now. Prices have come down in recent years as there are more houses available now. (Maybe due to Dr John moving into town. People probably got scared and moved away.) :D I know that South Sioux, NE has housing for a more economical price as well as West Sioux City. Some areas of North Sioux also have lower housing prices. Just like any city, it depends on the area.
Fashion advisor to the Haute Pooch pupulation.
http://www.luxepetboutique.com
omahaopinions.com
Home Owners Association

Post by omahaopinions.com »

Kristi wrote:Prices have come down in recent years as there are more houses available now. (Maybe due to Dr John moving into town. People probably got scared and moved away.) :D
Yes, prices have come down tremendously because of the continuous layoffs by Gateway. That company created thousands of jobs for the area and housing was scarce for awhile when the company was growing, but it's a different story now. I grew up in McCook Lake, SD (near N. Sioux City) and the growth in that area is unbelievable since I was a child but there have been many homes for sale. Not a whole lot of other jobs in Sioux City, especially if you're in IT. That's one of the reasons I now live in Omaha!
OmahaOpinions.com - Express your opinions!
Kristi
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kristi »

I know about the loss of jobs due to Gateway laying off. My sister was one of those people. She was lucky though, the project she was managing was outsourced. The company they used to outsource picked my sister up, so she is still doing the same job.
Fashion advisor to the Haute Pooch pupulation.
http://www.luxepetboutique.com
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

And she probably doesn't have to live in Sioux City any more either!