Denver

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebport5
Planning Board

Denver

Post by nebport5 »

Ok I need help from the Denver folks on here. I'll be making a brief trip soon. Will be staying in the Glendale/Englewood area.

Any reccommendations?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Eric, can you help him out?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Well, what kind of help do you need exactly?

I have a few suggestions on what you should see and do:
First, since you're in Glendale/Englewood, I would recommend heading up to the Cherry Creek shopping and restaurant area. It's quite a bit like the Plaza in KC. That's where I do most of my shopping outside of downtown and it is a very nice place with really cool neighborhoods nearby. And you definitely need to get downtown and stroll along the 16th Street Mall and LoDo. The easiest way to do that is for you to drive west on Hampden to the Englewood light rail station (free parking) and take the train to downtown. And of course there's City Park, which will be a little northeast of you, just go north on Colorado Blvd. I like the Museum of Nature and Science in City Park and they have a great botanical garden and zoo. There's lots more to do, depending on what you're looking for...

Let me know when you'll be in Denver and maybe we can get together for lunch or dinner! I live, work, and attend class downtown.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

thanks Zephyr, thanks exactly what I was looking for! I'm coming out on the 16th of Oct. with a friend of mine for a show. Would love to get together if there's time, but its going to be a very short trip. Not sure we'll have much time extra time, but just in case I wanted some reccomendations.

thanks so much!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Glad I could help nebport5! If you don't have time to visit, that's fine; I completely understand as I've had a few busy travellings myself. But definitely email me beforehand if you do think we could meet up. And make sure you visit downtown and ride the light rail - the two best things in Denver in my opinion.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

One more suggestion - if you are in downtown for lunch or dinner, I highly recommend eating at the Wynkoop Brewery, at the corner of 18th and Wynkoop, near Union Station. It's a great locally owned place (owned by our Mayor) and has their own beers. Outstanding food as well.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

its been a long time since I've been to Denver so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get there and back(don't trust mapquest). That'll defintely play a part in how much time we have, but at the very least its nice to have a few suggestions, esp. somewhere to eat. I'm sure I'm going to wish we had another day or two. I'll keep you informed of our intinerary.

thanks again!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I'd plan on about 8 hours of driving time from Omaha to Denver, considering you're driving about 75-80 mph on I-80 and I-76. The Valentino's in North Platte is a great half-way stop for lunch. Have fun planning your itenerary and definitely let me know what you'll be up to!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

So, nebport5, how did your trip go? Hope you enjoyed your stay in the Mile High City!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Well it was a dreadfuly short trip, but enjoyable. Didn't really get to go DT. Went to Redrocks, took a nice all around tour of the city. Ate at a descent greek place, Zorba's. Not my choice of intinerary, but it did leave me wanting more. I wished I had another couple days to explore and check out some nice shopping areas. Cherry something and Flatiron I think? Went to a show on the south side and that waas about all there was time for.

I must say since my last trip to Denver(over 10 yrs) it looked alot cleaner and I was impressed with the amount of new developments. Both my friend and I were said though it was so short we'd do it all again if we could.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time, even if it was short. You definitely need to put downtown high on your agenda next time - that is the best part of Denver. And be sure to eat at the Wynkoop Brewery and try the Railyard Ale, my favorite. Cherry Creek is a great urban shopping center (with lots of nice traditional neighborhoods and parkways nearby), Flatirons Crossing is a regular suburban mall. Park Meadows mall, way down south, is a great suburban mall too and will have its own light rail station in '06.

Hope you come back soon, and if I'm still in Denver, look me up!