Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I'm all for letting them have bragging rights, but didn't we just see something recently that ranked Qwest like #8 for ticket sales...ahead of Sprint Center?
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Ben wrote:Big E, give the KC bashing a rest....  This was the same ranking that the Qwest won a couple of years ago that you all were bragging about.   What goes around comes around.  Let them enjoy it for a while.
That's bashing KC?  Hardly.  I love downtown KC.  You'll know when I bash something.

All I was doing was pointing out how straw-grasping that statistic is.

And NO, this is not the same thing Omaha brags about, as thenewguy pointed out.  Omaha's Qwest Center brags about actually selling tickets to events.  KC's Sprint Center apparently brags about selling tickets to the non-sporting events that it was obviously not intended to attract, like the pesky NBA and NHL.

(OK, that sounds like bashing, but it is just me being a smartass.)
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Not bad for a radial tire..

:;):  ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

KC's Sprint Center is exceeding expectations and the funding used to pay for it is too (car and hotel taxes).

http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/1463320.html
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We went to KC over the Thanksgiving weekend, to get our fix of World Market and Stein Mart, two stores Omaha has recently lost.  We tried to have lunch at the P&L District but there was some event going on at the Sprint Center, with thousands of people on the area streets and parking between $10 and $15, so we went to Westport instead.  I noted a new multi-story condo building is now open on Pennsylvania in Westport.  The chili's has closed, but otherwise the area was vibrant, with people eating and drinking outside in the cafes and beer gardens on a very mild late fall day.

We noted the new Performing Arts complex rising on the hill overlooking the Crossroads District and areas to the south.  It sort of resembles the Sydney,, Australia Opera House.  It is simply huge, with seashell like rooftops under the two large auditoriums.  

The P&L District has scores of restaurants and pubs and other interesting shops, all within a block or two of the Sprint Center.  Boy, don't I wish that we could do this in Omaha.  Add some life to the area just outside the Qwest.

Of course the highlight was the CC PLaza.  It was mobbed with people enjoying the first weekend of the holiday lights and the super weather.  All of the outdoor restaurants were packed well after dark.  We walked and walked and then finally settled on Plaza III for dinner.  I had not eaten there in perhaps 30 years.  It was fantastic.  Perhaps the finest steak I have ever eaten.

I guess the old saying holds true.  Everything is up to date in K.C.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We went to the Power and Light District this past weekend.  I was Shocked by the number of vacant store fronts!  I was told that they were charging too much for rent and some of the restaurants could not handle that price.  

We ate at a new restaurant called the Drunkin Fish.  It was not worth the money we spent there.  It was average sushi with average service and the food took forever...
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

My wife and I went down to KC over the Memorial Day weekend.  My impression of P&L was pretty good, but it is all so new that it has a kind of artificial feel.  Urban entertainment/shopping/dining areas seem to be better when they're more established and have had time to evolve more organically.  I think P&L was a fantastic project (ever see the pictures of the area just 4 years ago?).  

We ate at Fran's one morning for lunch, which was pretty good (and not unreasonably-priced either).  On another  day, we ate at Nara (a few blocks south of P&L on main).  It is a lot like Blue Sushi (and in an old brick building), but a bit classier.  It is also quite a bit more expensive!  The food was superb, but I would have been just as happy at Blue (and not as poor afterwards).

We went to Howl at the Moon one night.  It was a pretty good time, and the place was packed.  The complaints that P&L is dead didn't seem to reflect our experience.  Everything under the canopy was hopping (granted, this was a Saturday night).
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We were in KC this weekend.  Stayed at the downown Marriott near P and L.  It was definitely hopping in that area Saturday night.  The immediate area was full of tenants.  I was really really impressed with the grocery store there, Consentino's.  Seems to be a perfect downtown grocer.

Greg
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I just saw an article on the continued development of their streetcar plan.  It looks like there is a very good chance they will have a starter line running between Union Station and River Market (which will run up Main or Grand right past P&L) in the next few years.  Oddly, P&L is trying to get them to move it farther away from them.  I think they're really shooting themselves in the foot if they get their wish.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Where does P and L want it to go?

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Here's an article on it.  I agree you don't want it too far but I also see the point about not wanting it to interfere too much with pedestrian traffic.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/21/30 ... ntown.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't quite understand this comment.  

“We are generally supportive of the concept of a streetcar system downtown but believe the impact could be disastrous if the route goes through the Power & Light District on Grand, Walnut or Main Streets,” said Nick Benjamin, executive director for the entertainment district.

“We have seen firsthand the damage that can cause to streetfront businesses both during construction and afterward in other cities around the country,” Benjamin said.

I googled a bit and couldn't find a single article mentioning business seeing negative impacts after the construction was completed.  I understand the worries during construction that makes sense, but the whole "afterward in other cities around the country" line seems to lack support.  At least any that I can find.

Cordish has a lot of experience with urban projects though and I am sure there is some truth behind their claim.  It would be nice to hear an example though.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I can also see the argument to have it to the west of P and L, over by the convention center and Kauffman center.  It would be good for  P and L and the hotels and such around the convention center.  

The Kauffman Center is definitely a game changer for DT KC.  

Greg
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, the only argument against it I can fathom is disruption during construction.  I doubt you'll find a business owner next to a completed streetcar line in Portland or Seattle who would complain about it.  If P&L is the central entertainment destination in KC they want to be, it seems foolish not to be served by a streetcar starter line that will largely draw the exact crowd P&L wants.

Although there have been problems for past businesses on major streetcar construction projects, the most recent ones have done a lot better job of minimizing the impact on businesses, from doing one block at a time, to paying for advertising for the businesses to remind customers they're open for business and assisting in alternate parking (e.g. the new light rail line in the Twin Cities).

Having been to all these places in KC, a direct line down Main (or Grand, which would be OK too) seems like the obvious choice.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm guessing it will be a lot better than the streetcars we will have in 3 years (aka none).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Uh oh.

[youtube][/youtube]
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Yikes!

KCMO is already seeing a brain drain to KCKS and other KS locales.   This cant help but worsen that.  Bad omen for Omaha.  Hopefully meca can do better at keeping the Clink busy.  

Pro sports turn out to be sucker bets for most cities.   Sounds like they bet on getting a pro team as part of their revenue plan.   Glad we have not chased that dragon.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Weird.  Take a bunch of mediocre run of the mill chain restaurants (save for 801 Chophouse, which is a very good chain) and ultra lounges and cram them together while diverting money away from all of the truly quality places in Crossroads and Rockport.  Hard to see that one coming.

There's literally nothing to do in the Power and Light District that can't be done at half a dozen suburban strip malls in the KC area.  The Plaza is a more worthwhile destination.

I'm all for these type of re-development projects, but they HAVE to figure out how to put tenants in that people will actually go to more than once when it isn't the "kids eat free Monday" special.
Stable genius.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed wrote:Yikes!

KCMO is already seeing a brain drain to KCKS and other KS locales.   This cant help but worsen that.  Bad omen for Omaha.  Hopefully meca can do better at keeping the Clink busy.  

Pro sports turn out to be sucker bets for most cities.   Sounds like they bet on getting a pro team as part of their revenue plan.   Glad we have not chased that dragon.

The district around the CLink has been built slowly piece by piece, in a slightly more cautious and measured sense, instead of the massive flash in the pan development like the P&L was. I don't think something like this is in store for Omaha at all because of the pace development is taking. The largest single project was perhaps the Midtown crossing, and that's doing pretty well because it wasn't gigantor like the P&L.

KC went all in, and their hand dealt isn't all that great.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Correct me if I am wrong (only been to Power and Light twice), there is nothing to do at the power and light other than eat, drink, and see live music, correct?  Not like the plaza where you can shop.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Correct me if I am wrong (only been to Power and Light twice), there is nothing to do at the power and light other than eat, drink, and see live music, correct?  Not like the plaza where you can shop.
It's been a while since I have been, but I remember the was a Sprint Store that looked like they were trying to make it an Apple Store of sorts.  There was also a Wholner's like grocery store.

I do remember being overwhelmed by the amount of restaurants though, it almost felt like a food court.  Not much if any residential that I remember.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Related Wall Street Journal article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... #printMode
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The WSJ article doesn't spell it's doom like some of the comments here.  The conclusion of the article was that the project income from property taxes and special-district sales taxes aren't meeting their projections, which is what the bond financing was based on.  It specifically says that property assessments were based on the bubble market when it opened in 2007.  Considering that the property "values" in the US were inflating at an unsustainable rate, and we've since suffered the largest economic downturn in nearly a century, I don't think we can draw the conclusion that P&L is a failure.  It's at 85% occupancy and busy (when my wife and I were there the last time, it was packed).  The financial model was based on assumptions that were impacted by external forces, more than the project itself was at fault.

I won't deny that P&L has it's fault, the first being that it is a lot like a giant mall food court with bars.  They would do well to tie it in better with the surrounding area, and add nearby residential developments (which is occuring in the Crossroads area).  I think the streetcar would really help in this respect.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Just remember something similar happened here with Century Link Center.  The initial funding mechanism did not generate the funds to pay for the cost.  They've had to dip into Omaha's general funds, go back to the state legislature, and refinance the bonds to only pay the interest for a period, not the principle.

Last time we were in KC we stayed at the Marriott downtown.  Power and Light, along with the surrounding areas was jumping all weekend.  People everywhere.  We had a great time.

Greg
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Greg S wrote:Power and Light, along with the surrounding areas was jumping all weekend.  People everywhere.  We had a great time.
All I can say is the people factor was contrary to everything I've experienced in the four short weekends I've spent there.  Crossroads and Westport blew P&L away for vibe and qualtiy of venues.

In fairness, I was not there for an event at Sprint on any of those trips, so it might be a different story then.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm still excited that the Ralston arena won out over Sprint for landing a Lingerie Football League franchise.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote:I'm still excited that the Ralston arena won out over Sprint for landing a Lingerie Football League franchise.
My sarcasm meter is off, were they actually trying to get a team in KC?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nope.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Oh you never know... by this time, KC might be happy to have lingerie football at the Sprint Center.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Actually looks like they are doing well, nationally and internationally....

http://www.sprintcenter.com/news/detail ... iest-arena
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Actually looks like they are doing well, nationally and internationally....

http://www.sprintcenter.com/news/detail ... iest-arena
As I understand that doesn't include sports ticket sales only concerts.  I assume KC would love to have the steady ~20 15K plus crowds for Creighton games a year that Omaha gets the benefit of having.

Anyways the news story was more about KC's bet on the P&L district and how it hasn't had the impact they were hoping.  I am sure no one down there regrets the decision, that is a huge development I would love something like it here.  

I think it is just about time for Omaha to stop asking for our P&L District though.  We can do our own thing just as well if not better, more organically at least.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They would.  Have you seen how few dates for concerts the Clink has coming up.  Is the next one, the Chilli Peppers in October?  Summer's slow, but that seems brutal.  I forgot Miranda Lambert as well, but still very quiet.

Greg
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Greg S wrote:They would.  Have you seen how few dates for concerts the Clink has coming up.  Is the next one, the Chilli Peppers in October?  Summer's slow, but that seems brutal.  I forgot Miranda Lambert as well, but still very quiet.

Greg
Correct, there is not much more:

Miranda Lambert - May 10

Nickelback May 22

Blocked with Swim trials June 25 - july 2(probably many days before/after for setup)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Oct 28

Thats all they are showing for the Arena, convention space seems to be blocked well

The MAC is in the same boat, the only thing they have on their schedule is the black keys..
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Does Nickelback count as anchor tenant now along with UNO Hockey and Creighton basketball?

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Does Nickelback count as anchor tenant now along with UNO Hockey and Creighton basketball?

Greg
:lol: Seems like they are here every time they tour.
Brad
City Council

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by Brad »

How crazy is it that tonight, Guns N' Roses & Alice in Chains are playing at Arrowhead (built in 1972) and Dave Mathews is playing at Sandstone amphitheater, or whatever the stupid name is now (built in 1984), meanwhile the Sprint Center sits empty.

I think Omaha can compete when it comes to CenturyLink VS Sprint, but there is no way we could compete TD Ameritrade VS Arrowhead or amphitheater VS amphitheater.

I guess I only bring that up because I am bummed that a lot and lots of people I know are at arrowhead tonight and I am not... :;):
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote:How crazy is it that tonight, Guns N' Roses & Alice in Chains are playing at Arrowhead (built in 1972) and Dave Mathews is playing at Sandstone amphitheater, or whatever the stupid name is now (built in 1984), meanwhile the Sprint Center sits empty.

I think Omaha can compete when it comes to CenturyLink VS Sprint, but there is no way we could compete TD Ameritrade VS Arrowhead or amphitheater VS amphitheater.

I guess I only bring that up because I am bummed that a lot and lots of people I know are at arrowhead tonight and I am not... :;):
Guess they are just waiting for an NBA team?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Brad wrote:How crazy is it that tonight, Guns N' Roses & Alice in Chains are playing at Arrowhead (built in 1972) and Dave Mathews is playing at Sandstone amphitheater, or whatever the stupid name is now (built in 1984), meanwhile the Sprint Center sits empty.

I saw where Sprint Center is still one of the busiest arenas in the world even without anchor tenants. It definitely slows down during the summer with both Sandstone and Starlight Amphitheatre, plus the major shows at Arrowhead.

They are hosting another NHL exhibition at Sprint Center this fall. I'd love to see one in Omaha someday, but I think River City Roundup is our excuse for not hosting. Another trip to KC.

Greg
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Greg S wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

I saw where Sprint Center is still one of the busiest arenas in the world even without anchor tenants. It definitely slows down during the summer with both Sandstone and Starlight Amphitheatre, plus the major shows at Arrowhead.

They are hosting another NHL exhibition at Sprint Center this fall. I'd love to see one in Omaha someday, but I think River City Roundup is our excuse for not hosting. Another trip to KC.

Greg
The Sprint is almost set up for concerts though. I wish it didn't exist though so major artists would just go to Omaha. Oh well, it's worth the 3 hour drive if the concert is good enough.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Office tower proposed across the street from Sprint Center

13th and Grand Office Project:

New rendering released this week. 10-story, 320,000-square-foot building + parking