Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It won't have much the OM doesn't already have.
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.livenation.com/venue/getVenue/venueId/18291

Looks like the Sprint Center has Van Halen booked on 10/26/07
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

DTO Luv wrote:It won't have much the OM doesn't already have.
national retailers/chains.  you can't compare p&l to the om.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I did see where they have a 35,000 sq foot grocery store going in.  Sounds like a nice one too.

Greg[/b]
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Yep..The place looks like a big 'ol radial tire from the outside..

But I bet it's been done up right on the inside..And ultimately, that's where it counts anyway. The Sprint Center is a wonderful and needed addition to the Kansas City metro..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Garth Brooks concert -- Nov 14th
And on Thursday, the operators of the Sprint Center announced they’re bringing in a giant: Country superstar Garth Brooks, who hasn’t toured since November 1998, will perform at the Sprint Center on Nov. 14.
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/294273.html
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Y'unt to see Garth?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Y'unt
translation please.   :lol:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Uffda wrote:Garth Brooks concert -- Nov 14th
And on Thursday, the operators of the Sprint Center announced they’re bringing in a giant: Country superstar Garth Brooks, who hasn’t toured since November 1998, will perform at the Sprint Center on Nov. 14.
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/294273.html
Well like him or hate him is is a draw.  one hour after tickets have went on sale there are five shows sold out and a sixth that probably is.  

Currently shows for Thur 11/8   Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday 11/14 ( the originally announced show)

Took a quick look over on Ebay and there are tickets with bids for over 100 each and they are still adding / selling shows.  Face on the tickets is 27.50.  He has stated in the past tours 10 + years ago that he would add shows to meet the demand and hurt the scalpers.  Looks like it is happening here too.

EDIT @ 2 hours decided to check back and they are up to NINE shows!
AllThingsKC
New to the Neighborhood

Post by AllThingsKC »

The Sprint Center opened today.

If you'd like to see photos, they're posting pictures on the KC Rag Message Board.

Here's the link...

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php/topic,13120.0.html

(Note: Currently, the thread is 6 pages long.  Some of the best pictures on after the first page)
ImageImageImage
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No tenants and the Hall of Fame is dedicated to the team in the next state over. Amazing.
DTO
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

The Sprint Center is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.  The concourses, the scoreboard, the all glass exterior, everything...I'm very impressed.  It's got to be one of the coolest arena in the country.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sounds like the Spring Center is a home run.

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/312339.html
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Nice looking facility... certainly worthy of an NBA/NHL tenant.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Made a run down to Kansas City and saw the Garth Brooks Concert Saturday night.  Wanted to see him having seen his show three different times when he was touring before.  Also took the opportunity to see and get into the Sprint Center.

Overall very impressed with the facility.  Pictures do not do it justice.  A few things that I noticed that were home runs:

The Video quality on the four sided score board was PERFECT.  The video feed from the show was displayed on the boards and I can safely say that I have NEVER seen a video board with ans clear a picture as these.  There was absolutely no pixals.  You could tell that the whole process was in Hi Def.

The Quick Trip "store" in the arena was a neat concept.  You could buy a 22 oz "slurpy" type drink for $.99 and a really good cold sandwich for 2.69 - 3.69.  Along with this they had energy drinks, cookies, and donuts.  The best value in arena snacks I have seen in..... forever.

Buy a bottled water and they let you keep the cap!   Come on Qwest, if they can do it so can you.  Get over this stupid policy of taking the bottle caps away.

The building looks impressive inside and out.  I was not sold on the design from the fist pictures that I saw but I came away thinking it is a winner and a great facility.

What didn't I like.  In the upper bowl you enter the seating 100% from the top and everyone has to go down.  I just like the design that the Qwest uses better where you enter and go up or down.

Everyone entered through metal detectors.  I don't have a problem with the concept at all but the process seemed very slow.  We were there very early and it took a while to get in.  Longer than I would have expected.

The area around the Sprint Center has potential and is a work in progress.  Will be nice when it is complete, or more so anyway.  

Over all the Qwest and the Sprint Center and comparable in alot of ways and will do a lot for their respectable markets.  Omaha will have to keep on it toes to not get shut out of future events...... but so will the Sprint Center.  My prediction is that both will thrive as there is enough prediction between them to complement each other more often than compete

We were in Section 208 Row 1

No on to a few pictures.  Be gentle.  They were all taken hand held with a Canon S3 since you could not take an interchangeable lens camera in, although I saw one or two.

My FIRST attempt at a PANO.  Hand held as stated using Adobe.  Liked what I had seen here so I had to try.
Between the Trisha and Garth Sets

Logo above the scoreboard

Coming up at Dusk

Artwork inside

Quicktrip

Trisha

Garth

And last but not least the Guy next to us had a "really good time"  This was about 1/2 way through the show and his buddies had to  practically carry him out after the show.  Someone will have to let him know if he had a good time since he has no idea!!!

You can see a few more here if you are so inclined
http://flickr.com/photos/nebugeater/set ... 330540415/
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Did that guy upset himself or spill something?
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Well he was holding a beer when he decided it was nap time but you have asked the $1,000,000 question that others were asking too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Got this this afternoon in an email.  I understand this is a mass mailing but kind of a nice touch and way to gather feedback with the link.  I do not recall ever getting this type of mailing from the Qwest and I have been to a sizable number of shows there.  Maybe it is something that goes out to a sampling or maybe to people that are from a distance based on ZIP.  I bought my tickets to this the same way I buy for the Qwest so there is no additional contact info that that would have.   Whatever the case, it is something the Qwest could consider for gathering feedback.  

Thank You

On behalf of Sprint Center, thank you for attending the Garth Brooks concert.

As Kansas City’s new home for sports and entertainment, we are always looking for ways to improve the experience of our guests. Please take a moment to offer your feedback in this brief survey, it would be greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again at a future Sprint Center event.

Click here to provide your feedback.

Thank you,

Brenda Tinnen
General Manager
Sprint Center
Giving Kansas City Reason to Cheer
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

That's pretty impressive, i must say.  I think one thing that will hurt the qwest center is if MECA does not allow other businesses to develop in the sea of parking they have.  Sprint is downtown KC, with the Folley theatre not far away and shops they have downtown (plus the new entertainment district), which is pretty attractive to those looking to book it, and attend it.  Yes, Qwest is downtown, and there are businesses near by, but i think that in order to keep pace and not be overlooked, Omaha has to keep moving forward.  Make the area as appealing as can be: allow for the ballpark to be built, develop as much of north downtown (see, i didn't use the dreaded 4 letter word :P ) as possible and that will help maintain our standing.  With the bridge going in, Slowdown open, more hotel options (and hopefully more...or 1 highrise :) ), resturants, shops, and condos/apartments/townhomes going in, it's going to be a heck-of-an area!  Add that into a walk's distance to the old market and there is nothing anyone around here should be ashamed of!  Let Sprint bring on a challenge!  I think that with what is going on now and in the future, we'll still be smiling years to come!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

KC is trying to duplicate around the arena what we already have Downtown. Anything we do by the Qwest Center will put us further ahead of the curve.
DTO
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

DTO Luv wrote:KC is trying to duplicate around the arena what we already have Downtown. Anything we do by the Qwest Center will put us further ahead of the curve.
You're damn right!  That's one thing i DON'T like about KC. Near downtown, there's not a whole lot to do...you have to leave downtown to go to Crown Center.  You don't really find a lot of good restaurants right at or in downtown.  Their downtown isn't really all that pedestrian friendly, IMO.  I mean, they have some stores, and like i said, they have the Folley Theater, but that seems to be about it.  I've had to go to KC for various conferences and the likes, and we always had to drive away from downtown to go get any good meals or do anything.  I know they're trying to make a start with Sprint, but i really do agree, DTO, that Omaha already has a lot to offer.  In fact, after thinking about it a little more since my initial response, i believe you're completely right.
AllThingsKC
New to the Neighborhood

Post by AllThingsKC »

thenewguy wrote: You're darn right!  That's one thing i DON'T like about KC. Near downtown, there's not a whole lot to do...you have to leave downtown to go to Crown Center.  You don't really find a lot of good restaurants right at or in downtown.  Their downtown isn't really all that pedestrian friendly, IMO.  I mean, they have some stores, and like i said, they have the Folley Theater, but that seems to be about it.  I've had to go to KC for various conferences and the likes, and we always had to drive away from downtown to go get any good meals or do anything.  I know they're trying to make a start with Sprint, but i really do agree, DTO, that Omaha already has a lot to offer.  In fact, after thinking about it a little more since my initial response, i believe you're completely right.
When was the last time you were in KC?  

One reason why I think the Sprint Center will be a big hit is because it's right across the street from the Power & Light District.  The P&L District has already had several restaurants open, and it will be completely open by March 2008.

It is (and should be) like a whole new downtown for KC.  We're very excited about it here.
ImageImageImage
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Um, it would have been back around March...  :?
AllThingsKC
New to the Neighborhood

Post by AllThingsKC »

thenewguy wrote:Um, it would have been back around March...  :?
Yeah, I don't think ANYTHING in the P&L District was open then.  Whenever you come to KC again, you might have a slightly different view of downtown.  

Don't get me wrong, it still has a long way to go.  But, it has come a VERY long way since March.
ImageImageImage
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

P&L District is gonna be awesome when its all done.  If anyone has any updated pics of that area would they post them (allthingskc?)
AllThingsKC
New to the Neighborhood

Post by AllThingsKC »

P&L District is gonna be awesome when its all done.  If anyone has any updated pics of that area would they post them (allthingskc?)
Sure.  When I take some (or see some posted on the KC forum), I'll post them here.

(I just don't want to be accused of trying to start a KC/Omaha flame war)  :)[/img]
ImageImageImage
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That won't happen. People in Omaha don't follow KC like people in KC follow Omaha. :)
DTO
AllThingsKC
New to the Neighborhood

Post by AllThingsKC »

That won't happen. People in Omaha don't follow KC like people in KC follow Omaha.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, if any of you are interested...

Here are some pictures that someone posted on the KC forum:

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=1784.2480

On another page in that same thread:

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=1784.2600
ImageImageImage
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This looks AWESOME!

That's exactly what SHOULD be happening in the Qwest Center lots.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:This looks AWESOME!

That's exactly what SHOULD be happening in the Qwest Center lots.
Is that a soccer field on the roof?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

The 3 towers (i'm assuming condos/apts) on the bottom left/left side, next to the freeway make a huge impact.  While impressive, it doesn't quite "pop" without them to me, for some reason.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Swift wrote:Somebody send that picture to MECA, along with a comment about their status as ignorant sluts.
Jane Curtin works at MECA?  Kate & Allie residuals not panning out?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was down in KC last weekend.  The Power and Light district is moving right along.  Tons of new stuff right outside the Sprint Center, very cool.  The work they are doing renovationg the Midland Theatre should make it a really cool place for acts too small for Sprint Center.  Can't wait until everything opens this Spring.

Greg
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

I got down here a couple weeks ago to see the UCLA-Maryland and Michigan St-Missouri tilts.  It's great that they
were able to place this amongst a lot of other buildings and destinations near downtown.

I think the Qwest is a more attractive arena on the inside - the open-end and not quite as large.

While the "glass bowl" look is OK from the outside, there were many spots on the upper level where the
view out was somewhat tempered by the glass - seemed like some lost opportunities.

Vince
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Sprint Center moves to the top:

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/726407.html

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:The Sprint Center moves to the top:

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/726407.html

Greg

Congratulations and good for them.  Great competition will only keep the Qwest on their toes for the long hall.  

I know they have had a great run of sold out or near sold out shows but the run of 7 - 8 sold out Garth Brooks shows in 10 days sure has to help.  This type of run is not an every year or even every decade deal.  Will be interesting to see what year #2 looks like.  While it will be strong I bet the Qwest and the Sprint will be in on a neck in neck race.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

FWIW, Garth did a 5-show stint in Lincoln at the Devaney Center back in 1997.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The good fiscal news comes on the heels of a report by a respected national trade publication that ranked the nine-month-old arena 30th in the world in ticket sales for all entertainment events, excluding sports. Pollstar magazine found the Sprint Center outperformed arenas in Dallas, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Minneapolis, St. Paul and Denver.

Oh yeah, because we all know that no one pays for those sports tickets or buy concessions at sporting events or go to area businesses before or after sporting events so lets not count them in the total.  

We all know how much KC would hate to have that thing full another 30-35 days a year for some silly sporting events.
Stable genius.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Big E wrote:
The good fiscal news comes on the heels of a report by a respected national trade publication that ranked the nine-month-old arena 30th in the world in ticket sales for all entertainment events, excluding sports. Pollstar magazine found the Sprint Center outperformed arenas in Dallas, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Minneapolis, St. Paul and Denver.

Oh yeah, because we all know that no one pays for those sports tickets or buy concessions at sporting events or go to area businesses before or after sporting events so lets not count them in the total.  

We all know how much KC would hate to have that thing full another 30-35 days a year for some silly sporting events.

Big E, give the KC bashing a rest....  This was the same ranking that the Qwest won a couple of years ago that you all were bragging about.   What goes around comes around.  Let them enjoy it for a while.