Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Relax KC. You've got a fine arena... and our forum participants are cut from the same molds.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Give me a little more credit than to not like the design just because it's in KC. There are plenty of things in Omaha that I think suck. But it does seem like the designers kind of copped out with a plain glass shape. I don't know if they spent more on the inside than, but the outside isn't that much to look at.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Edit..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

posted by KCPowercat:

'I do believe many when they say they don't like the design...it's some people like Cowboy & DTO that have a history on kcskyscrapers with just posting negative stuff over and over.....that leads me believe their comments are based more on the location than the design. It's pretty easy to see there is a chip on the shoulder of some Omaha people about KC....just read through some of the past comments. '..

:roll: ..

I could say I don't appreciate your insinution Powercat..But then again it really dosen't matter to me what you believe..

I don't like the design of your arena because it looks like a radial tire IMO..I could care less what berg it gets built in..And I've made that clear several times on this thread..

Have a cookie and back away..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

New renderings are out. I think most will like it because it's different, but it appears awful 'campusy' to me. Seems like a fancy college campus performing arts center. Come to think of it, it sorta looks like one of our zoo domes cut in half. Nonetheless, I think it'll be a big draw DT for KC coupled with everything else that will go up around it.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I for one like the Sprint Center design.

The designers did a couple of things that are interesting.

1) They put the bulk of the seating in the lower end of the bowl. Bring the crowd to the plays. Nice touch.

2) They specifically designed it to be seen from all angles. That way there is no back side, ala Qwest (in MY opinion. Seen the Qwest Center from the east? Not the prettiest.). The view from any side will be a nice view.

Anyway, I like the design a lot. If someone wants to say it looks like a radial tire, I'm ok with that. I plan on attending events there and from what I understand the accoustics will be great. I like what's going on with downtown KC. Lots of new development, condos, etc. I really like River Market. I wish Stephenson's Apple Farm would open here. It's one of my favorite restaurants.

This is a great time for Omaha, Des Moines AND KC. All three cities have Billions of $$ being poured into their downtowns, allthewhile growth is exploding in the suburbs. All three cities have had visionary people willing to think big. (I'll hold my tongue regarding mr. fahey)

Let's hope it continues. It is helping to erase the image that the people on the coasts have of our region.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You all be the judges.

KC's Sprint Center.

Des Moines' Wells Fargo Arena

The 8th Wonder of the World.
DTO
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

I really like the Sprint Center. I think they intergrated our convention center too much with our arena. Esp now knowing the arean is doin better then expected compared to our convention center. Wells Fargo Arena ain't bad. It fits Des Moines well.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I think the Sprint Center will be a nice addition to DT KC. I like the design and think it will glimmer nicely at night with all the lights. It does have a radial tire look. OK by me.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Wow, the new renderings of the Sprint Center are impressive. I think it will look even better once it is built. I like how they bring the building close to the street, but with the curve of the building, there is still ample room for pedestrians and landscaping. The fountains are great also.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm going to have to go with the Sprint Center also. I really like the design and the use of fountains out front. I also kind of like how it allows for natural light to shine into the arena.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I liked the natural light thing too.

But then I realized that most events are going to be a night.
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

I have no idea what sat on the sites of these other cities' "Centers".....but I haven't forgotten what that frickn' lead refinery looked like !! :shock:

I'm not really into this big debate about which center is better than which, but the first time I saw the Qwest (for FleetwoodMac) I thought it was spectacular!! If points were awarded for 'Before & After", my guess is the Qwest would beat the !#*!^! out of any contenders. :wink:

As others have commented, those fountains at the Sprint, steal the design show...N-I-C-E! The good news: Even MORE spectacular fountains could be added to the Qwest; Imagine how 8) !!dreamy!! 8) THAT could look. DO IT!! Those event goers from Missour-a would be goin' home with their tails between their legs! :wink:
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

An interesting article on yahoo today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=a ... ype=lgns
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Sprint Center is really coming along.  Saw it this weekend.  Probably the most unique arena design in a long, long time.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

or it looks like a tire:

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If you've seen the real thing it looks even more like a tire. It's not as shiny or sleek as if looks in the renderings.
DTO
cpt4599
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpt4599 »

Looks like Elton John will be the opening act for the Sprint Center.  

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/206573.html
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I might have to get down there for that.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Perhaps some of you caught WOWT's sounding of the death knell last week for Qwest... referring to the eventual opening of the Sprint Center.  :roll:
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It was great that the Qwest Center had a 3 year head start on the Sprint Center. (all the phone names no wonder the monthly bills are so high)  The three years gave the Qwest Center plenty of time to make a name for itself and I have not worries about the two affecting each other, in fact they might be able to draw the same concerts since they are so close, play in one one night then its a short drive to the other one.  give the roadies plenty of time to set up.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I was in KC a couple of weeks ago and heard a TV editorial denouncing the delay in construction projects around the new Sprint Center.   The Arena is on schedule and will open in Oct. but the surround entertainment district, which was supposed to be done at the same time has now been pushed back until about the time of the Big 12 Basketball tournament in March of 2008.  They believe that people attending the events between the opening of the arena and next March are not going to be happy dodging all the construction barrels and detours.  The are concerned this will have very negative effect on the Grand Opening.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Uffda wrote:Qwest to Face KC Challenge

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/8652351.html
Holy |expletive| |expletive|! Read some of the completely insane comments on that wowt board. Jesus!
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Nothing more or less rational than some of the stuff I read on here.

I still get a kick out of the people that complain about the cost of something and state that it is sure to fail at those prices, and yet the thing just keeps filling up event after event after event.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The Sprint Center still looks like a big 'ol radial tire to me..

I'm not concerned. I believe the Qwest Center Omaha will do just fine vs the giant tire 190 miles to the south..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Twiztid1 wrote:I'm always amazed at people who complain about paying $6 to park at the Qwest Center.  No one ever complains about paying $10 for parking at Husker games and having to walk a mile to the stadium.
or $15 in some guy's backyard during the CWS, oh wait, thats part of the "charm"
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Twiztid1 wrote:I'm always amazed at people who complain about paying $6 to park at the Qwest Center.  No one ever complains about paying $10 for parking at Husker games and having to walk a mile to the stadium.
or $15 in some guy's backyard during the CWS, oh wait, thats part of the "charm"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The Qwest Center has been one of the top performing arenas globally since it opened. Even when Kemper was getting events (pre-Qwest) the shows weren't nearly as well attended as they were in other cities. The OWH did a story on that before the Qwest opened.
DTO
bingmiran77
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bingmiran77 »

Here are a couple of what the new Sprint Center is looking like.  These pics are taking from the Westin Crown Center.  This building
is very remarkable.

[/img]Image
By bingmiran

By bingmiran[/img]
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Looks like a big radial tire to me. Good pics though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't know which one is uglier?
Kansas City:

Canada:

Photos from bingmiran77, and Streets.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not sure what I see as ugly about either.  They're not exactly postcard shots... but ugly?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sprint Center looks fine... and will look even better when illuminated from within at night.  I believe (this is KC after all) it will have some nice water features outside as well.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They cut the water features from the design. I thought it would look better from the renderings but that gray color is what kills it.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree about the gray color on the Sprint Center, but I like both of the examples Brad gave, both the Kansas City arena and the "Canada" arena. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

KC Proposed this, with some lines and shapes to look at:

And ended up with this Big Circle with nothing to look at:

I like the Qwest Center which has some different lines and shapes, soft edges combined with sharp edges.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't know... while I prefer the Qwest Center's front facade... I will give the Sprint Center props for being far better integrated with the area surrounding it's entire perimeter (and I'm not talking it's 'surface parking')... and maybe a little less emphasis on it's business end (I don't think I could consider buying a RFP condo along Riverfront Drive for that distraction alone).  And I think when all is said and done... all that glass is going to be pretty dramatic.

I think some here are a tad jealous... or at least resentful (EDIT: yeah, I know... I once was too)

Congrats to KC... I think they have a fine looking arena! (and a pretty kick |expletive| new entertainment district to go along with it)
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

new entertainment district to go along with it
I am far more envious of the entertainment district than the arena.