Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

DMRyan wrote:I was going to be concerned that this ultra-modern style would clash with the faux-old timey brick of the new P & L District, but this contrast in architecture can really make things interesting. Again, Europe is an example of this.
I agree, I think something like the Wells Fargo Center would be a better look for that area, but oh well, its not my city. Whatever floats their boat is good for them.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Who's KC?
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Was that photo taken at Neverland?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

That is one ugly arena!
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm sad you guys don't like the new drawings...maybe we shouldn't build it. I mean if anybody thinks any piece of architecture is ugly, it isn't worth building....let's just build a concrete box with some windows....we shouldn't be daring and do something outside the box.

Maybe we could then add a convention center on the side :roll:

Come on guys...don't hate the player. Good design brings out emotions of like and dislike...from this thread seems like it's a good design.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

O, give me a break! That thing is FUGLY!
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Hey, I'm on record as throwing in a double-thumbs up hellyea vote for the design (but a triple boo-hiss for the corporate plastering). Overall, I think the thing is fantastic looking. THAT is what a signature building is.

I frankly never saw the appeal of the Qwest Center from an aesthetic standpoint. It seems pretty typical to me. The job it does is great, but aside from being a sorely needed venue, there's nothing striking about it in my eyes.

And these are eyes with a 4-yr BFA from Minneapolis College of Art and Design. I'm not an architect, but I know good looking when I see it.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I think it looks great and often these glass strucures look much better when completed (hard to authenticate through a drawing). A very unique and modern design with interesting subtleties of curve and slope. It is also nice that they have included greenspace and water features around the structure. Cool!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Hey..

Some think it looks great..Others think it looks like a big giant radial tire (include me in the ladder)..Dosen't mean it shouldn't get built though..

:lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Sounds like at least half of us here like it (I know a few of KC's forum members don't like it). No doubt a portion of those who say they don't like it are motivated by resentment. Although the risk with these sorts of more daring designs... there are bound to be those who legitimately don't like it.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

I don't resent the new arena in KC. I just think it's ugly. I think Michelin Center sounds much better than the Sprint Center.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Since we're traveling down this path..

Conversely, it's fair to say that some who like the design are saying so just to be nice..When they really beileve it looks like a big fat tire..

Count me in on just being straight up..The design looks like a tire and it does not appeal to me..But like I said, it dosen't mean the Sprint Center should not be built..Nothing more..Nothing less..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Ah yes, and if this was being built in Omaha - it would be the coolest thing showing our "big city" approach to modern, innovative design.
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

that would be one messed up glass tire. I'm actually excited everybody doesn't like it. It's easy to make something basic that everybody agrees with. What really matters is the inside anyways, the exterior is nothing w/o a great arena inside.

MPLS boy....do you like the exterior of the Target center?

BTW, I wouldn't get too worked up about all the sprint center labeling...I'm pretty sure that is just drawings showing different examples...if that many sprint center's were labeled all over it, I would hate it too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Finn wrote:Ah yes, and if this was being built in Omaha - it would be the coolest thing showing our "big city" approach to modern, innovative design.
You are incorrect sir..It would still look like a big fat tire regardless of where it was located..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Sat May 28, 2005 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

KCPowercat posted:

'What really matters is the inside anyways, the exterior is nothing w/o a great arena inside.'..

Now this I mostly agree with..Although an attractive looking 'cover' would be nice..We should learn to never judge a book by it..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thank you again Finn!
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

You insult my integrity Finn. I am always a straight shooter on this board. I just like the looks of the other design better. I am happy for KC residents that they are getting a new arena. The design in no way affects how I feel about their arena project or the good people of KC. The only thing that matters to me (arena wise) is that Omaha finally built one and I use it a lot.

It doesn’t matter where the Sprint Center is being built; I just like a little more straight lines in my designs. If I lived in KC, I would attend events there and enjoy the facilities without reproach. Maybe the renderings don’t do the actual building justice.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Thank you GoWest!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Settle. Finn isn't speaking to anyone specifically. The same assertion could be made of our counterparts at kcskyscrapers and absolutedsm.
Let's face it... we tend to support these projects within our city like they were one of our children (and if you didn't... I would probably ban you from the forum. :P )
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Agreed..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Thanks jhuston. I, of course, was not refrring to anyone in particular. I never saw the other design. I think jhuston nailed it with the children analogy and since this isn't our baby......
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The glass is fine but the shape is way to plain. It doesn't have a unique outline like the Qwest Center and it doesn't look as powerful. And from what I've heard from the KC site (since this is mu obsession) it won't be that much bigger than the Qwest Center post expansion. :D
DTO
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

2 cents: The first rendering makes it look great...the others don't. Waayy to much corporate labeling... It's too bad KC couldn't get the original design...now that was a great design. It coulda been something from Star-Trek. But then again, this probably won't be the last adjustment made to the design before construction is completed.
sokkerdewd
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

I was asked if I like the exterior design of the Target Center: not particularly.
edsas
Human Relations

Re: New Renderings for KC's Sprint Center.

Post by edsas »

Count me in the "don't like it category".

It makes me think of the Staples Center (which I also don't like). In general, I'm not a fan of architecture that looks like giant tuppereware.
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

I was in MPLS this weekend. Yikes if my arena looked like Target Center.

DTO...I've never heard these latest drawings called "plain". Nice work.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The texture might not be plain but the outline is. If you looked at a silohuette of the Sprint Center it would be a plain oval shape. If you look at one of the Qwest Center (w/o the CC side) it's outline has sharp points and sticks out and the roof if spectacular.
DTO
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not sure you can judge how good a design is by how many sharp points it has....you are fine to have your opinion but I think this tends to be less about the design and more about the location.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Lowest radar signature wins. :P
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Why's it so hard to believe that the people on this board who say they don't like the design, simply don't like the design? Why does it have to be jealousy? I live in a metro chock-full of large-scale entertainment venues. Whether KC gets a sparkling new arena or not doesn't make a bit of difference to me at all. Yet, I dislike the design. End of story. To me, it looks like Tupperware. To others it looks like a tire. These are valid aesthetic opinions.

When people posted news of other large-scale projects in other cities, the reaction has typically been favorable. Someone posted renderings of Philadelphia's new Comcast Center because it bares a resemblance to FNC. We all oohed and ahhed over it. Zephyr posted renderings of Denver's new tallest. Again, we oohed and ahhed.

It's not the location we don't like. It's the design, which should be concievable to you, KCPowercat, because, as you said, there are KC people who don't like the design, either. Why can they hate it and we can't?
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

I do believe many when they say they don't like the design...it's some people like Cowboy & DTO that have a history on kcskyscrapers with just posting negative stuff over and over.....that leads me believe their comments are based more on the location than the design. It's pretty easy to see there is a chip on the shoulder of some Omaha people about KC....just read through some of the past comments.

People are free not to like it for whatever reason they want and yes some in KC don't like it either.....I don't think any design would ever been liked by even 80% of the common person....that doesn't bother me at all....it's just some members on here have quite a record of basing opinions on where it is located.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

^Yes, but they're so called negative comments are in response to some of the select few KC'ers who seem hellbent on badgering Omaha all the time. Some of our comments pale in comparison to what's been said of Omaha over on kcskyscrapers. Show a little respect, and we'll gladly reciprocate. That said, I think we're all saying what we truely feel about the Sprint Center. No one will really know until they go down there and see it firsthand. But dang KCP, 2 more years?!? :P
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Yeah. This thing could look much better in real life. Compare the UPC to its renderings for example.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I have to see it when it's complete. These renderings usually don't do justice to the finished product. From what I see it looks like a giant punch bowl. I am sure it will be a very stunning venue at night or even during the day with the KC skyline in the back ground.

I hate this forum bashing thing. kc vs omaha vs des moines. I really don't like visitors from other cities focusing on so much negative in this forum. I think we all should show the same courtesy.

Whatever.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

edsas wrote:Yeah. This thing could look much better in real life. Compare the UPC to its renderings for example.
Great example!
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

CountOfMC wrote:^Yes, but they're so called negative comments are in response to some of the select few KC'ers who seem hellbent on badgering Omaha all the time. Some of our comments pale in comparison to what's been said of Omaha over on kcskyscrapers. Show a little respect, and we'll gladly reciprocate. That said, I think we're all saying what we truely feel about the Sprint Center. No one will really know until they go down there and see it firsthand. But dang KCP, 2 more years?!? :P
I missed the Omaha bashing in this thread???? No doubt some KC forumers are unfairly negative towards our fine neighbors to the north as well. Some of these posts just smell of "it's in KC, it sucks"....if these were to be shown as going somewhere else, I wonder what the opinions would be?

Yes, it does take time to build an arena, it's slated to be ready 2Q07. We will be patient and wait.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

I think it'll look great minus the signage. Imagine grabbing a brew and dog and seeing the skyline. Definitely a better view than the Aksarben patio they have down at the qwest.
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

that signage is all just proposals....no way they have THAT many signs...they wouldn't even all fit on the building.