Hockey in KC?

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

I agree, DTO. When I lived in Minnesota, the thought of losing a major league sport of any kind was seen in "disastrous" proportions. It was almost as if many thought that the loss of major league sports would bring the downfall of culture. Well, there is more to culture than just major league sports, exaggerated salaries, etc.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well in KC they seem to think that if Seattle loses the Sonics that they'll become a "second-tier city" like... Omaha! :roll: There was another story a few years ago in the KC press where the Chiefs or Royals were "in danger" of leaving and some guy said that if KC lost they Chiefs/Royals they would be...Omaha!. The horror!.
DTO
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

In Minnesota the hold 1960s phrase, that occasionally gets recycled in MN, is that Minneapolis would just become a "cold Omaha." How outdated such notions are!!
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Minneapolis Boy wrote:I agree, DTO. When I lived in Minnesota, the thought of losing a major league sport of any kind was seen in "disastrous" proportions. It was almost as if many thought that the loss of major league sports would bring the downfall of culture. Well, there is more to culture than just major league sports, exaggerated salaries, etc.
That's really the only reason we over at OKCHornetsCentral.com have to be fending off these Norlanite twerps all of the time. Nevermind what the extortion is costing Norlins to keep the teams there (since attendance isn't profitable, of course). Imagine the starving mouths that could feed, the hospitals and schools that New Orleans' pro sports extortion could pay for.
http://okmet.org The talk of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma just aint Oklahoma anymore.

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

and the penguins saga continues.....
NHL legend Mario Lemieux is expected to lead a delegation from the Pittsburgh Penguins to visit Houston and the Toyota Center later this week
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4490194.html
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Hockey in the bayou..

That will certainly be a first..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

What's the average attendance been in OKC for the Hornets games?  I saw the other night on ESPN a game and it looked like maybe 5,000 people we're in attendance.  The entire upper bowl of the arena was empty as well as the middle "club" seats, and the lower bowl area was spotty at best.  I was really surprised to see this since I've heard the OKC area had grasped the Hornets, and even considered making a bid for them.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

was that hornets game about 10-15 days ago? i know espn had a hornets game from okc with poor attendance and that was due to the severe ice storm that the whole region.
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

[center]

Actually, major league sports teams are not overrated.  For many people, a city's size and importance is often gaged by whether or not they have any major pro sports teams, and if so, how many.  People see that Denver has all 4 of the major sports- NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB- and they know that's a major city.  If a city only has one of those, you can figure it's just barely hanging on as likely a smaller market city.  It's a pride thing for the sports fans, because major pro sports get national attention, get their air time on SportsCenter, and to have one of them in your city really is something important.  For example, if Omaha were to get an NBA team, suddenly the entire nation would see Omaha games on TV on a fairly regular basis along with the shots of the arena and views of the city around it, you'd hear about Omaha on sports center on a regular basis- besides the game itself and the fans/money involved, it really is something that can elevate a city and elevate people's awareness of that city.   I know Green Bay is sort of an oddity in this formula since that is a very small city, but without the Packers, how many of us would know anything about Green Bay, or even know that it existed?  [/center]
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That's a pretty weak argument. Even without pro sports Omaha has managed to get it's name out there. Warren Buffet had a show on CNBC. The Wallstreet Journal (and recently USA Today) have had articles about Omaha from businesses to restaurants. Not to mention the other cities around the country that have written travel articles on Omaha even with our lack of pro sports.

There is way to much importance placed on pro teams. If OKC became the home of the Hornets or Supersonics next week would that somehow instantly make DT OKC a more vibrant place by default just because the NBA is there? Does Bricktown become the Mag Mile because the NBA is there? No. The same for Omaha. If we had the NBA would the DT be Manhattan? No. Think of about great US cities and take away their pro teams. Are they any less great? Do their museums, cool neighborhoods, great restaurants and attractions become any less special because the NBA,MLB, NFL, or NHL left? No. Pro sports are alot of hype.
DTO
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

Yeah, it's great to have articles in the Wall Street Journal and for Warren Buffet to have a show on CNBC, but the fact is that the average Joe isn't watching/reading those, you can't argue that having weekly exposure in nationally televised major sporting events and highlights on ESPN wouldn't be more widespread than articles in financial newspapers or shows on financial cable TV stations.  
I'm not saying that having the team makes the entire city more vibrant, what I'm saying is it makes it attractive to many more people, and gives TONS more exposure.  Green Bay, Wisconsin is not suddenly a cosmopolitan city because the Packers are there, but don't you think that team attracts some people to Green Bay that wouldn't have normally gone there, exposes Green Bay to the nation in a way that it never would have been exposed without having an NFL team there?

I'm not saying a city like Omaha is in bad shape at all without one, but I'm just saying that it's never a bad thing having one, it's great exposure and is a big draw in almost every city that has them.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Pro sports are alot of hype.
Possibly true --- then we shouldnt be concerned if the Knights leave or if the Royals never build a downtown stadium as Omaha is and will be just fine without them.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

We're getting a much better deal having the Knights and Royals than cities who dumped hundreds of millions into stadiums to have the teams leave. I still think the Royals stadium is needed. Even with the AHL and AAA Baseball Omaha is still in the news in other cities (some much bigger cities like Toronto, Houston, Chicago for the AHL).

murfj-
I don't think pro teams really draw as much people from outside of the area as you think. I used to think so but now I could care less if we did get a pro team higher than the AHL or AAA.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

murfj wrote: I'm not saying that having the team makes the entire city more vibrant, what I'm saying is it makes it attractive to many more people, and gives TONS more exposure.  Green Bay, Wisconsin is not suddenly a cosmopolitan city because the Packers are there, but don't you think that team attracts some people to Green Bay that wouldn't have normally gone there, exposes Green Bay to the nation in a way that it never would have been exposed without having an NFL team there?.
Agree with murfj or not..THIS is a very good point..And should not be minimized from a national exposure standpoint..There is NO question how significant this is..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Official: City, Pens could announce deal by Friday
ESPN wrote:A state senator on the board that would oversee a new arena in Pittsburgh says a deal to keep the Penguins in the Steel City could be announced by Friday. "I'm hearing that a deal could be made any day, which makes me suspect it's all about crossing the T's and dotting the I's," state Sen. Wayne Fontana told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I don't know that there are any major hurdles left. It's all just little things." Fontana, who sits on the Allegheny County Sports & Exposition Authority, told the newspaper that Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has been in continuing conversations with Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle about the deal.

Earlier this week, Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he expected a deal would be announced soon. But he had no comment Wednesday on Fontana's statement, the Tribune-Review said. Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and the Penguins also declined to comment, the newspaper reported.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Penguins may revisit K.C. if talks here sputter
With Pittsburgh arena negotiations dragging on, the Penguins may step up talks next week with officials in Kansas City about a possible relocation.

Team officials will accelerate those negotiations if they are unable to complete substantially a deal with state and local leaders over the next few days or so to stay here, a source close to the Penguins said yesterday.
Neil deMause, co-author of "Field of Schemes," a book about stadium financing controversies, saw the Penguins' stepped-up interest in Kansas City as designed "to light a fire under Pittsburgh."

"It may or may not be true, but I don't think they would be telling you or anybody that if they weren't trying to use it as leverage," he said.

He described it as the bargaining equivalent of the two-minute warning in football. "Teams say this all the time and they mean it about 5 percent [of the time]," he said, adding he would be surprised if the Penguins don't end up staying in Pittsburgh.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The longer the we go without a deal being announced in Pittsburgh, the more I like KC's chances.  I still think Pitt keeps them but the situation grows more iffy by the day.  I do think that KC will end up with Nashville's team in a couple years.  Major league teams do bring a lot of recognition to an area.  Daily mentions on Sportscenter and the sports tickers, plus the live game being broadcast nationally and regionally.  Not to mention fans coming in from out-of-town (my family goes to KC for Royals games several times a year).  I would like to go down to KC to see NHL a few times a year as well.

That being said, I like having teams like the Knights and O Royals in town better.  Way more affordable and the level of play compared to the big leagues is not that much different.  Plus we've got the Mavs, Jays and Huskers (less than an hour away).

Greg[/b]
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

No Pens for KC. Arena deal done in Pittsburgh.

Link to ESPN's story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2796552
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:cheers:  :clap:  :banger:  :hi:  :leek:
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote::cheers:  :clap:  :banger:  :hi:  :leek:
Don't get too excited, they could offer the Knights a deal too good to pass up.  So get out and support your Knights tonight!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That is the LAST thing KC wants is an AHL team. People would boo the Sprint Center incessantly since it didn't deliver NHL.
DTO
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ESPN did report (I believe it was a Buccigross column) that KC more than got the NHL's attention during the Pens pursuit.  They liked how KC stayed in the background and the deal offered would be great for an existing team (they mentioned Nashville since they are lacking on corporate support and can move in a year) or that if the NHL were to expand again in a few years, KC would be at the top of the list.

Greg
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Greg S wrote:ESPN did report (I believe it was a Buccigross column) that KC more than got the NHL's attention during the Pens pursuit.  They liked how KC stayed in the background and the deal offered would be great for an existing team (they mentioned Nashville since they are lacking on corporate support and can move in a year) or that if the NHL were to expand again in a few years, KC would be at the top of the list.

Greg
Uh, the last thing the NHL needs is another expansion.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's true but it's never stopped a league from expanding before.  I've heard that when the next expansion occurs, one of the teams may land in southern Ontario.

Greg
cpt4599
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpt4599 »

Well looks like KC might get NHL after all.  I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but this does look a little more likely than the Pens deal.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/168728.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cpt4599 wrote:Well looks like KC might get NHL after all.  I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but this does look a little more likely than the Pens deal.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/168728.html
Nope, missed another one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070801/ap_ ... cBtVEE1vAI
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Nashville Predators were expected to announce the signing of a new letter of intent Wednesday with a local group trying to keep the NHL franchise from leaving town.

The Predators announced a news conference for 3:30 p.m. EDT at their arena, but declined to say what would be discussed. Owner Craig Leipold has been working with the local group to finalize a bid for the team since flying to New York on July 18 for a meeting with NHL officials.

The local group includes David Freeman, chief executive officer of 36 Venture Capital LLC, and Herb Fritch, CEO of HealthSpring Inc. Fritch said Tuesday they were close to signing a letter of intent with the team, and Freeman said something could be announced Wednesday.

Neither Freeman nor Fritch responded to messages Wednesday from The Associated Press.

Their bid is expected to be $180 million, much less than the $220 million offered by Canadian billioinaire Jim Balsillie in May when Leipold last announced he had signed a letter of intent to sell his team.

Leipold has been trying to sell his franchise because he said he has lost $70 million since being awarded the team in June 1997.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

:lol:  ..

They can't win for losing..I wonder if they'll ever get a tenant for that big 'ol radial tire..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

More than likely they will get an NHL team (along with Vegas) after the 2008 season.  With the price of recent franchises, the expansion teams will likely cost $200 million.  If the NHL approves it then, they will not have to share the revenue with the players.  Beyond that date they most likely will.   There were informal discussions on this at the last owner's meeting.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Latest rumor has the Islanders moving to KC.  They've been trying for years to get a new arena.  They will be playing an exhibition game.  Maybe they will use KC for leverage.  It will be interesting though with the New York area already sinking a ton of money into the new Yankees stadium, the new Mets stadium, the recently opened one for the Devils, the combo Jets/Giants stadium, a remodel or rebuild of Madison Square Garden, and the Nets wanting a new arena.

Greg
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't see the Islanders moving out of NY. KC/Sprint Center have been leverage to get every NHL team that wanted to move a new arena. The same thing is happening here.
DTO
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Here's another team that might look at KC.  They already have a new arena but are struggling in their market.  Got this from mavpuck.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... ab_newstab

Greg