Hockey in KC?

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Hockey in KC?

Post by Coyote »

KC a step closer to hockey
Without team, though, there’s no guarantee the NHL will be skating into Sprint Center.
Kansas City Star wrote:William “Boots” Del Biaggio III, the founder of a Menlo Park, Calif., venture-finance company, has entered into a long-term lease with the Sprint Center to own and operate an NHL team if one becomes available through expansion or relocation.

But Tim Leiweke, president and chief executive officer of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which will manage the arena, said Saturday that it was “highly unlikely” the Sprint Center will have an anchor tenant in place for the 2007-08 season, which was AEG’s intention when Kansas City voters in 2004 approved a measure to fund most of the cost of the $276 million building.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't see it happening. They've been trying to get an NBA or NHL team since the Sprint Center got underway. Lots of cities used the excuse of moving to KC to get a new arena where they were already at.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

KC a step closer to hockey?..For D'Shawn:

DON'T GO..

:;):  ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

OKC has been on the list for an NHL team for about 5 years now. The last time that they did their league expansion, OKC and Columbus beat out every other city under consideration, and it came down to those two in the long haul. Columbus got the franchise, and 5 years later OKC became one of the most successful young NBA cities, that the commentators in the league have gone and nicknamed the Ford Center "Loud City".

Supposedly KC is also in the running for an NBA team, but again, OKC has a definite leg up... considering we got the trial period, and that it was a huge success. The Sonics will be in OKC within the next 3 years, and the Hornets will return to Norlins, but after the first unseccessful year (likely their first year back) they will move to either KC or Louisville.
http://okmet.org The talk of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma just aint Oklahoma anymore.

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Accordingly, starting today, the team is off the market," Lemieux said, "and we will begin to explore relocation offers in cities outside Pennsylvania."

Among the cities known to be interested in the Penguins are Kansas City, Mo.; Houston; Portland, Ore.; and Winnipeg, Manitoba.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2704968
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

My money is on Pittsburgh coming through with a new arena.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Exactly. That's what these teams do is throwout they're moving and the people cave.
DTO
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Pens will probably stay but if they do move, I think KC is the favorite.  They've already sold out all 72 of their luxury suites.

Greg
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The suites would sell regardless. KC isn't going to get a team to move there.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to Big Sports 590, Pittsburgh Penguin Ownership is in KC today talking to officials from the new arena.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Say what you will, but I think KC has a real shot at landing the Pens. In this day and age, its ALL about the dollars, and most of that comes from the boxes and the corporate dollars that come with it. If they have all the boxes already sold in a brand new arena, that's pretty attractive to any team.

That being said, I think that the Pens ARE doing this still hoping for an arena deal in Pittsburgh, but if they don't get it in gear, them going to another city (yes even KC) wouldn't come as a shock to me.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'd be willing to bet that the Pens stay in Pittsburgh. KC is too small to have the NFL, MLB and the NHL. Plus they have lots of other sports with a crazy amount of minor leauge teams and a racecar track. I don't see them being able to squeeze the NHL in.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

:roll:  Why is no one posting here   :roll:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Holy |expletive|.

They just said on KETV that KC wants the Penguins so bad they are going to let them play at the new arena RENT FREE!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And be part of the ownership group for their arena!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

We'll see where whoring themselves gets them. So when they get rent free and the attendance isn't that great are they going to go back to Pitt? I really hope the Pens don't leave Pitt. They are very tied to that city.
DTO
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Oklahoma City minor league hockey owners eye Pens
An Oklahoma City business group says they're interested in landing a National Hockey League franchise and expect a formal invitation to be extended next week for the Pittsburgh Penguins to visit the city's Ford Center arena.
Funk also speculated that an NHL team could land in Tulsa, if an NBA team is in Oklahoma City. Tulsa is building a new downtown arena scheduled to open in 2008.

"I'll talk to Tulsa," Funk said. "That's always a possibility, too. We have very successful [Central Hockey League] operations in Tulsa. Our operations over there are doing very well and they have been for a long time."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2722259
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I've never seen the NHL in Oklahoma as even a remote possibility..

Let the chatter continue..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

OKC can barely fill their CHL games, which is the lowest quality of minor league hockey.  They have no shot.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:OKC can barely fill their CHL games, which is the lowest quality of minor league hockey.  They have no shot.
That's my feeling as well OmahaJaysCU..Along with the fact that they have NHL less than 3 hours down I-35 in Dallas..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

AHL may be Plan B for K.C.

Post by Brad »

AHL may be Plan B for K.C.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2313350
A recent offer made by a Kansas City group to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins proves that the city is once again interested in landing a National Hockey League team.

But the president of the city's sports commission said that doesn't necessarily mean that an American Hockey League team wouldn't be welcome until an NHL franchise becomes available.

"Plan A for us is to have an NHL team here," said Kevin Gray, president of the sports commission. "We're hoping that we won't need a Plan B or Plan C, because we think the right pieces are in place."

Kansas City's interest in landing a professional hockey team comes at a time when the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights are struggling at the gate. The Knights are 26th in the 27-team AHL in attendance, and even Knights President Ren Smith says he hears rumors about the franchise's future.

But he's also quick to dispel any talk about a move for the second-year team.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

That's my feeling as well OmahaJaysCU..Along with the fact that they have NHL less than 3 hours down I-35 in Dallas
Kansas City's interest in landing a professional hockey team comes at a time when the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights are struggling at the gate
That's right, who needs professional hockey in Omaha, when we can just drive less than 3 hours down I-29 to KC (to see the same AHL franchise we already had no less). :;):

We don't need no stink'n professional hockey (or amusement park, or upscale retail/entertainment, etc, etc, for that matter).   We have high school and college hockey (and Funplex, and Dillard's, etc, etc for that matter as well)... and we LIKE IT.  Des Moines and KC?  We don't need none of that.  :oops:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Everyone in KC when it comes to hockey it talking out of their |expletive|. They aren't going to get the Penguins or the Knights. The Sprint Center is struggling to find a tenant that will draw. If anyone was serious about moving a team to KC they would have done it. KC and the Sprint Center are just being used as bartering pieces to get new arenas and deals by teams who aren't happy with their arena.

Their was just an article this week in the paper about how the Knights said they were committed to Omaha. This latest article is just another look on the dark side from the OWH who can't ever seem to do a positive story on anything. The Knights aren't going to move and if they do it won't be any time soon. Why haven't any of the other teams in the AHL that don't top attendance move to other cities? The Toronto Marlies don't draw much more than Omaha and Canada is hockey crazy. They love the Leafs and even are home to the Hockey Hall of Fame. So why not move them out of Toronto?

And Jeff if my memory serves me right you're always the one extolling the virtues of FunPlex.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Stargazer wrote: We HAVE a professional hockey team in Omaha TODAY... one which numerous other cities would love to have... yet we ARE going to lose them.  It just makes me sick.
And as the Knights/Flames management has stated twice this week in separate W-H articles..They are committed to Omaha..

The Knights wont be leaving Omaha anytime soon..You're happy about that..Right Jeff?..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Really Jeff, what makes you think that Omaha is going to lose the Knights? You've been saying that from day one. It must be that Husker mentality of if you don't win a National Championship 4 of your first 7 years you get fired. If you don't average 10,000 people a game by your second season you're done? That doesn't make any sense.

Omaha is in a unique situation. We have 3 hockey teams. Look at any of the other AHL cities and see if they have 2 or 3 teams. The Knights are still the new guys so they are going to encounter ignorance when it comes to the Lancers. The Lancers have been here for a long time. Yes they may be high school drop outs but they have name recognition. If people like us keep spreading the word that the Knights are one step away from the NHL and the Lancers work part-time at 7-11, people will eventually see the light and head over to the Civic for real hockey.

The Civic is also fine for the Knights. 3,500 people in the Qwest would look terrible for hockey. In the Civic that same group of people is more intimate and much louder than it would be in the Qwest.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well, I'm not quite that demanding D'Shawn... but when we're second to last in attendance, you bet I'm concerned.  And more importantly, FRUSTRATED, that Omahan's would rather give their patronage to the high school and college kid's games... especially if we do end up losing the Knights.

And of course I don't expect the Calgary people to pull the plug any time soon.  But the Knights of Aksarben only have a 5 year contract with them.  So are they going to stay around if we don't significantly increase that attendance within that time frame?  I doubt it.

As for the Civic, I don't believe I made any negative comments about it here.  The only gripe I had about it, long ago, was that it is ridiculous that our collegiate hockey team is playing in the Qwest Center, rather than our AHL franchise.  Should EITHER team play there given their respective followings?  Probably not.  Obviously, with the Mavericks being the only game in town when the Qwest Center opened, I realize the expectation was, that they would play there (and at the time, they were in fact drawing 7,000+).

Would I PERSONALLY, rather see the Knights games covered with replay video, in a more pleasant Qwest Center setting?  ABSOLUTELY.  But that's just me.  I do like the promise which the Civic holds in terms of being louder and 'packed' with fans.  Of course it would be nice if MECA even upgraded the Civic a little... with a couple of video boards of it's own.  Otherwise, I love the Civic.

Look guys, I REALLY don't want to see Omaha lose the Knights.  Call me chicken little, or whatever.  I just want everyone out there to be made aware how lucky we are to have them... and what a great loss it would be to lose them.  We should NEVER take for granted that they are here.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Yes they may be high school drop outs but they have name recognition.
Can someone clarify something for me as I am not a hockey follower.  I thought one of the purposes of the Lancers program was to give these young men a chance to get into a collegiate hockey program. (and I suppose the other one is to get recognized by the Pros)  So how can they be drop outs?
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

:) I believe all of the Lancer players are generally hosted by a local family and actually attend area high schools (I know one of them was at Millard North in the same class as my daughter).
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

thanks -- so the comment Yes they may be high school drop outs is bogus.  :roll:

Jimmy Buffett
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You should know D'Shawn... he tends to interject a certain amount of sensationalism into every post. :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:thanks -- so the comment Yes they may be high school drop outs is bogus.  :roll:
It was not an accurate comment..But I believe D'Shawn was being facetious anyway..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:OKC can barely fill their CHL games, which is the lowest quality of minor league hockey.  They have no shot.
Are you |expletive| kidding me?? The OKC Blazers draw 12,000 fans per game, which is the highest in the CHL, which includes cities on the same level as OKC, like Fort Worth and Austin, and cities that are insulting to be associated to OKC, like Laredo and Beaumont, and Wichita.

Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

P.S. They're staying in Pittsburgh.

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

OKC Blazers draw 12,000 fans per game, which is the highest in the CHL, which includes cities on the same level as OKC, like Fort Worth and Austin, and cities that are insulting to be associated to OKC, like Laredo and Beaumont, and Wichita
12,000... 8,000... what's the difference.  Good enough.  Heck, look, even Wichita outdraws the Knights.  I guess we're at least doing better than Memphis.  They probably took a hit when basketball came to town, huh.
Oklahoma City             0       136,411        17    8,024
Wichita                   0       104,179        17    6,128
Laredo                6,102       106,456        20    5,322
Colorado                  0        95,202        18    5,289
Bossier-Shreveport    5,648        84,443        17    4,967
Rio Grande Valley         0        83,569        17    4,915
Tulsa                     0        62,196        13    4,784
Arizona                   0        58,046        14    4,146
Rocky Mountain        4,718        60,230        15    4,015
Corpus Christi        3,508        60,164        17    3,539
Youngstown                0        42,435        13    3,264
Lubbock               3,244        55,016        17    3,236
New Mexico                0        53,271        17    3,133
Memphis                   0        55,518        20    2,775
Amarillo                  0        38,684        14    2,763
Odessa                    0        41,103        15    2,740
Austin                1,900        30,400        16    1,900
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Uffda wrote:thanks -- so the comment Yes they may be high school drop outs is bogus.  :roll:
It's called an insult.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stargazer wrote: Heck, look, even Wichita outdraws the Knights.  I guess we're at least doing better than Memphis.  They probably took a hit when basketball came to town, huh.  
This lady at work and I were talking about the Knights and she said that there's so much to do here anymore that people are probably doing other things. I could agree with that to an extent.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

It's called an insult.
and here i just thought you were showing your arrogance again toward things you dont agree with.

Jimmy Buffett
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

This lady at work and I were talking about the Knights and she said that there's so much to do here anymore that people are probably doing other things. I could agree with that to an extent.
I'd buy into that as a primary explanation, if it weren't for those nights when there are over 13,000 people spread across 3 hockey games.
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Stargazer wrote:
OKC Blazers draw 12,000 fans per game, which is the highest in the CHL, which includes cities on the same level as OKC, like Fort Worth and Austin, and cities that are insulting to be associated to OKC, like Laredo and Beaumont, and Wichita
12,000... 8,000... what's the difference.  Good enough.  Heck, look, even Wichita outdraws the Knights.  I guess we're at least doing better than Memphis.  They probably took a hit when basketball came to town, huh.
Oklahoma City             0       136,411        17    8,024
Wichita                   0       104,179        17    6,128
Laredo                6,102       106,456        20    5,322
Colorado                  0        95,202        18    5,289
Bossier-Shreveport    5,648        84,443        17    4,967
Rio Grande Valley         0        83,569        17    4,915
Tulsa                     0        62,196        13    4,784
Arizona                   0        58,046        14    4,146
Rocky Mountain        4,718        60,230        15    4,015
Corpus Christi        3,508        60,164        17    3,539
Youngstown                0        42,435        13    3,264
Lubbock               3,244        55,016        17    3,236
New Mexico                0        53,271        17    3,133
Memphis                   0        55,518        20    2,775
Amarillo                  0        38,684        14    2,763
Odessa                    0        41,103        15    2,740
Austin                1,900        30,400        16    1,900
Those statistics are not impossible. There's a man inside Express Sports, who owns the Blazers, who tells me it's about 11,500 on most nights, and that hasn't taken a hit since the NBA came to town.

What are you talking about, "Too much to do." That's not a reason not to blame a city for poor attendance. That's a reason that a city will never get a pro team to call its own.

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Pro teams are HORRIBLY OVERRATED!!! They really don't do anything. They cost cities tons of money and give very little back.

Since KC's been whoring itself to the NBA and NHL I keep hearing about things like "world class sports" "we need to stay a major league city" and loads of other nonsense.

If you took away the Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, and Islanders from NYC would NYC be any less great? No. There's infinitely more that makes up an inviting, cosmopolitan place then having a pro sports team.  

To me it seems like cities with pro sports care more about the teams than more important things like museums, neighborhoods, civic centers, and livable areas that really make the city "world class" "major league".
DTO