Another Major Development in Sioux Falls

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

sodakman
New to the Neighborhood

Another Major Development in Sioux Falls

Post by sodakman »

I hope it doesn't annoy anyone that I'm posting this on the Omaha site.  I'm just figuring ya'll might be interested.

[img]Development Plans For Interstate Interchange

Plans are in the works for a new development where Interstates 29 and 90 meet, north of Sioux Falls. They involve a resort, waterpark, and conference center, and some people say it's about time.

Right now, people drive right by that piece of land without noticing the empty space. But developer and Sioux Falls cardiologist Lloyd Solberg says this land has gone unused for long enough.

"I-90 has been a lost opportunity for a long time,” Solberg said. “Anyone who drives on 29 sees the city. Anyone who drives by on 90 sees one truck stop, and that's about it."

But soon they'll see a lot more. Redstone Village will offer stores, offices, meeting space, a 50,000 square foot indoor waterpark, and even an eight-story building for what's called a "condotel," where people can live or just stay a while. Solberg admits, the plans are expansive.

"It would be a very visible site, but at the same time smaller buildings will make it intimate,” he said. “The combination will make it a 'wow' place, and people will want to stop in to see what's happening."

The Convention and Visitor's Bureau predicts the $180 million dollar project will pay for itself over time, bringing in jobs, visitors, and revenue that can't even be measured right now.

"Look around the community,” said Teri Ellis-Schmidt of the Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. “We're growing in every direction. This is a type of business you're not seeing anywhere around the community."

Solberg bought the land many years ago, with the vision of turning it into what he calls a gateway to Sioux Falls. And for this developer/cardiologist, it's a project that's close to his heart.

"We had horses here for ten years and now we're changing it to development property," he said.

And before long, it'll be something everyone can enjoy.

Construction is expected to begin this summer, the project is privately funded by Redstone Development.[/img]
sodakman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by sodakman »

I wish I knew.  The Mayor and Council want it downtown to contribute to the redevelopment.  Too many frickin stupid people want it in the outlying areas where they can build everywhere suburban ugly |expletive| sprawl.  Because of the controversy, and because the city has too spend about $100 million to get water up from the Missouri River, the projects on hold for a while.  There are a lot of people to looking at Des Moines and some other cities who's arenas and events centers haven't done so well and saying that maybe the Midwest overbuilt those types of facilities.  The Qwest is sort of the crown jewel, and if that success can't be duplicated, I think a lot of people are hesitant to burden the city with an under-preforming arena.

So in the meantime, all the good concerts will continue to skip SF for places like Sioux City and Fargo *sigh*.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

not true modest mouse is gonna be at ramkota in sioux fu on sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The Mayor and Council want it downtown to contribute to the redevelopment.
I dont see it happening any time in soon in downtown Sioux Falls.  The money being one of the main reasons but also the downtown location they want does not have easy access to major highways/interstates like the QWEST does. Also I think the area they want to build at wouldnt have the room for parking they would need either as lots or a garage --- one thing I read is developers thought people could walk to the new arena from downtown but downtown doesn't have that many parking spots either.

I think SF missed their chance about 10-15 years ago to build.