where to go in Colorado?

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mom04
New to the Neighborhood

where to go in Colorado?

Post by mom04 »

We are planning on going to Colorado this summer for vacation.  My husband would like to take our 9 yr old and our 12 yr old white water rafting with him for a 1/2 day or a day trip.  Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go, or when is the best time to go? June?  July??   Also, we plan on camping, so if anyone knows of a great camp area, We'd love to hear about it.  We have 4 kids total, so we'd need something with a park close by.  Our kids are 12, 9, 3 1/2 and 2.  Thanks!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Anytime in the summer is great for Colorado. We have a condo in Estes Park so I am too biased when I say that the Rocky Mountain National Park is the best place to visit and has a lot of real accessible places to go. http://www.rockymountainnationalpark.com  http://www.rmnp.com http://www.explore-rocky.com

Just down the road in Allenspark is a world class restaurant with reasonable prices.

As for white water rafting you will have to determine what class you would be looking at - maybe a Class III. You should visit http://www.coloradowhitewaterrafting.com/ or Rocky Mountain Adventures or Renaissance Adventure Guides
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Coyote has a couple good web sites there to peruse.  Try to remember, in general, that water will be lower in July than in June and the water will be warmer in July.  There are definitely some family friendly raft trips (although personally, I've only done the more "adventurous" runs).  Maybe Park County would be a good place to start?  IIRC, the outfitter I've went with out there wouldn't take anyone under 12 for insurance reasons, so I can't recommend a specific one, but I've seen younger kids on other outfitter's gear.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Our family had a great time with this outfit...

http://www.mountainwhitewaterdescents.com

They go down the Poudre west of Fort Collins... which is a relatively short drive from Estes.

As you can see... it's very family friendly... :)

[youtube][/youtube]
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Our family had a great time with this outfit...

...As you can see... it's very family friendly... :)
They even let him bring his family cat:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

:lol:  ..

That is hysterical Brad..It sheds a whole new light on 'white water rafting'..At least to me..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Foothills! "Coming home from School"

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's awesome!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote:We have a condo in Estes Park
I just was up at Estes Park last summer with my entire extended family. It's a really nice town.

The downtown strip was pretty cool:

The shops on the south side of the street have an entrance in the front (facing the street) as well as the back next to a creek that has a walk way along it:

There's even a Husker shop up there:

Oh, and you can't forget the haunted Stanley Hotel:

One funny thing I saw while I was there:
How do you lose a turtle? It's not like it's going to get loose and run away! Oh, and he supposedly answers to George...lol

One down side was that it seems to storm every afternoon.

(I know that this post probably belongs in the Photography forum, but it seemed to fit in here with Coyote talking about Estes Park. Plus, I'm not a photographer - as you can tell from the many bad quality photos I took with my iPhone 3GS)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Colorado springs has quite a bit going on.  Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge is about 30-45 min away (also has rafting down the Arkansas River...right under the Royal Gorge bridge, which is the highest bridge in the world, IIRC), Seven Falls, Cave of the Winds, Pike's Peak, and if you're feeling froggy, there is also an air museum there (as well as a racing museum and a few others).  It always smells very clean, the town is clean, has a nice downtown, and the scenery is absolutely incredible.

And if you plan your trip correctly, you can swing by Lake McConaughy in Ogallala, and on to Denver on your way down :)
Go Cubs Go
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Telluride/Mountain Village in the Southwest is pretty neat. As is Quray.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:Telluride/Mountain Village in the Southwest is pretty neat. As is Quray.
That would be "Ouray". The Million Dollar Highway is something to drive! It is cool when they have their Grillin & Chillin at the Park. Tasting local microbrews and dancing to live music in the park at 7,800 is a trip. Just glad I had a ride back to Durango.

For SW Colorado I like to stay at the Durango area. Take the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train while there. I first heard of Thomas the Train there at the depot while watching a 3 yo go on a tantrum for not getting... There is an excellent Mexican restaurant 15 miles west of Durango that is to die for and a bakery that has great sweets!

If in that area go to the other Chimney Rock, Mesa Verde, and if adventurous down to Chalco Canyon in NM (bring water and camera) or even Bandelier. Skip Four Corners.

Telluride is cool during the film or music festivals but otherwise it is just another mountain city with a few decent restaurants. I got out of an expired parking meter there just as I was walking up and he was writing my ticket - so they are friendly to visitors.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ouray, Durango and Cortez are excellent places to visit.  Mesa Verde is totally amazing.  The area in central Colorado between Salida and Leadville is simply beautiful, and offers a lot of outdoor activities, including white water rafting and mountain climbing.