Rumor for SDak

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Rumor for SDak

Post by Uffda »

There is a rumor going around in the Sioux Falls and Sioux City papers about a possible large manufacturing plant being located somewhere around Elk Point -- which is located about 66 miles south of Sioux Fall and 20 miles north of Sioux City.

Of course it is a rumor so it end up being nothing.

The 'gorilla' of Elk Point

Potential jobs fuel theories of mystery project in Union County

People in this Union County community are talking about the potential for a major economic development project coming to the area. The conversation focuses on a manufacturing plant of some kind with the most informed theories pointing towards an automobile company such as Toyota or Hyundai.
Land is being sought. Confidentiality agreements are being signed. Plans are being made. Heads are being scratched.
One of those signers who has more knowledge of “gorilla” is Kim McLaury, Elk Point city engineer.

“I signed a confidentiality agreement and so this puts me on the spot,” he said.

The Iraq War veteran says a few others signed it, too. Some at the state level and a few locally.

“The only thing they allow us to say is that it is a major manufacturing facility,” McLaury said.
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 0770406010

"I really don't know what it is. It is supposed to be 2,000 high-paying jobs, and that is all I know.
Area landowner Lyle Wagner of Vermillion has talked with those seeking to locate in Union County. "They have approached me, about March 1. They have offered and I am listening," he said.
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/article ... 04b3e2.txt
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well it isn't manufacturing

Texas energy firm is 'Gorilla'; It is planning nation's first oil refinery in three decades
A Texas energy company is behind Project Gorilla, which is planning the nation’s first new oil refinery in the past three decades, the company announced moments ago.
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... S/70613028
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

well being a student in Vermillion at USD this is HUGE news up here!  There has been rumors flying everywhere for quite some time.  Considering elk point is only has about 1500 residents right now, and this plant would add 2000 jobs and the plant would cover 5000 acres this is big.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

For anyone wanting information about this project here is a link with everything you would want to know about it: http://elkpointgorilla.com/

There is A LOT of opposition concerning this development.  During it's peak of construction it would require 10,000 workers, and when fully operational would support about 2,000 good-paying jobs.  This refinery is bigger than South Dakota, if built, it would be the first oil refinery constructed in the United States since 1976.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well if SD doesn't want it maybe Nebraska should try to get it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Well if SD doesn't want it maybe Nebraska should try to get it.
I think boyd county needs some money?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I think the only other alternative location is Kansas, but I may be wrong.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Zoning changes (farming to industrial) to this land were approved yesterday by the voters of South Dakota....  It paves the way for further discussion and hopefully landing this large project.