Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Kauffman Stadium Renovations

Post by Brad »

Kauffman Stadium Renovations

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/a ... sp&c_id=kc

GO LOOK AT THE RENDERINGS!

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals announced further plans for the renovations to Kauffman Stadium at a press conference on Monday morning. The $250 million dollar project is scheduled to start this October and be completed by Opening Day 2010.
The new park with feature a high definition scoreboard, 39,000 seats, fountain view terraces, widened concourses on all three levels and an outfield concourse that will allow fans to walk around the stadium 360 degrees.

"We are going to have [a] brand new stadium," Jackson County legislative chairman Dan Tarwater said earlier this season.

There will also be a restaurant area in right field that could feature local eateries.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Geez... for $250 million you'd think they could have included their moveable 2-stadium roof.  That's a chunk of change for a renovation.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Wow they got screwed. It doesn't look any different. Let this be a lesson to those of you who think a renovation will do the Omaha Royals any good.
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:Wow they got screwed. It doesn't look any different. Let this be a lesson to those of you who think a renovation will do the Omaha Royals any good.
Wow,  have you not been to Kauffman?  Those are some major changes.  OF course the field is still a baseball field.  What were you expecting, five bases?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:What were you expecting, five bases?
Calvinball.

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Oooooh, expanded vomitories, I can hardly wait!

Seriously though, this looks nice.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

I thought they were looking at building a new stadium downtown????
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Whale Shark wrote:I thought they were looking at building a new stadium downtown????
If I remember correctly the ballot issue that would have made this a possibility did not pass.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

jeez, if they're spending $250 million on a renovation down in KC, $50 mil on a new park here in North Downtown seems like a steal.... :;):
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Was in KC this weekend at the games.  The renovation stuff sounds better than initially proposed.  Love all of the stuff in the outfield, more concessions and bathrooms per person than any other stadium.  The seats in front of the fountains are going to be cool.  The HD new taller crown scoreboard, plus the cocktail bar on top of the base of the old video board sound great.  I also love how the concessions upstairs will now be shaded.  There were tons of people tailgating before the games this weekend, it was a blast.

Greg
cpt4599
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpt4599 »

There is now a mini model of Kauffman on display near the current HOF.  The new Crown Scoreboard is going to be awesome.  It is going to be the largest video display in North America.  They had your native son Alex Gordon and Billy Butler do the unveiling.  Here is a link to pics of it for those of you who can't make it to Kauffman by the end of the season.
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/a ... sp&c_id=kc
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Is the model of the renovations somewhere in the stadium now so fans can see it?  We're coming down for the final series against Cleveland.  I also want to see the progress on the Sprint Center at that time.

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Kaufman Stadium installing world's largest video display

Post by Uffda »

Brookings-based Daktronics will build the world's largest high-definition LED video display for the Kansas City Royals.

The display, to be installed in the outfield at the Royals' Kauffman Stadium before next baseball season, measures more than 100 feet high by 85 feet wide and will be topped by the team's trademark golden crown.

The display is larger in size than the monstrous displays designed and built by Daktronics for Dolphin Stadium in Miami and Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium on the campus of the University of Texas.
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 40303/1003

Graphic - http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs ... 3&MaxW=300
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I went to Sunday's game.  Saw the model, it looks awesome.  Can't wait to see the new scoreboard next year.  I can't believe they will have everything done by the start of the 2009 season.  Should be great.  Love the plans for the area behind the outfield and making it a 360 experience.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cpt4599
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpt4599 »

Here is a website of the New Arrowhead if anyone is interested.  http://www.kcchiefs.com/newarrowhead/
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Those look great!

Almost looks like the Kansas Motor Speedway Architect did the renderings!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I hope everyone in Kansas City was shown the immediate and direct financial implications of those improvements.

-Big E
Stable genius.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Big E wrote:I hope everyone in Kansas City was shown the immediate and direct financial implications of those improvements.

-Big E
Took the words right out of my mouth...

Tho they did vote a while ago not to build downtown...went down in flames if I remember correctly.

For what its worth, I like the Truman Sports Complex.  Of course there isnt a lot around it, but the parking is plentiful, the stadiums are great and ok, so we drive to wherever we want to go afterward.  Its a shlep to the airport in KC too, but its a great airport and the drive, even to Overland Park really isnt that long.  

Going to the new stadiums in Cincinnati (downtown) is also fun, right on the riverfront.  Its just a different feel and parking is different.  Hey, ever been to any of the stadiums in Chicago?  Talk about parking at Wrigley...of course, in Chicago, we dont drive much, if at all.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I really can't blame them for keeping Kauffman around. It is perhaps the only good looking baseball stadium to come out of the '70s. In fact it is quite beautiful.
cpt4599
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpt4599 »

For anyone planning on coming down to see the Royals this summer this article has some good info on what you can expect Kauffman will look like with the renovations in full swing.
http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/482070.html
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Saw the new scoreboard for the first time this weekend.  It's awesome.  Everything you need plus they use it well during the time between innings.  Everything else for the most part renovation wise (other than the redesigned bullpens) will be ready to go next year.  The Royals are doing a great job in a construction site of keeping the disruptions to a minimum.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The only complaint I have heard it that the back of the score board does not have the Big KC logo on it anymore.  You drive down the interstate now and just see nothing.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Greg S wrote:Saw the new scoreboard for the first time this weekend.  It's awesome.
Does that include the massive, mama-jama 100ft screen?
cpt4599
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpt4599 »

Brad wrote:The only complaint I have heard it that the back of the score board does not have the Big KC logo on it anymore.  You drive down the interstate now and just see nothing.
The back logo and the crown on top are not going to be put on the scoreboard until after the season.
cpt4599
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpt4599 »

If any one is interested here is a link to a new video of the Renovations to the K.  It's definitely the most information they've put out thus far.  

http://www.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200807253193893
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's really, really cool.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They had a KC reporter on the Big Show With Matt Perrault on Big Sports 590.

He was talking about the Chiefs, but at the end he said that a Labor Strike could Leave the Baseball Stadium unfinished for opening day and if the strike is long enough, it could force the chiefs to play at KU next season...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The strike did start today but Royals state Kauffman will be ready for opening day next week and the open house this Sunday.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The new K continues to get great reviews:

Baseball: Fun's on display at 'new K'

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10609606
AP wrote:"It's magnificent, it really is," Royals manager Trey Hillman said. "Before I put my uniform on early this morning, I walked through the tunnel and up the dugout steps, and it's certainly an eye-opener and eye-catching. It's beautiful."

Kauffman Stadium was always a great place to watch a game. Cozy, those cool fountains in the outfield, not a bad seat in the house — there wasn't much not to like about the place.

But live sports are no longer just about the game on the field. Fans, particularly ones with kids, need something to do other than try to get on the video screen or chase foul balls. The food has to be good, not just weenies and overfoamed beer. Dot races — hot dogs, pinballs, or whatever oddball race they can think of — no longer do the trick.

Hoping to add to the overall experience, the Royals overhauled their 36-year-old ballpark with a touch of pizazz. Same feel, just a different look.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can't wait to get down there.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The place looked pretty nice on TV last night.  Glad to see they maintained the fountains, or included new ones, whatever it was.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They kept the old ones.  I thought they were supposed to have some new ones that kids can play in when it gets hot in the outfield experience.  

Greg
Brad
City Council

Re: Kauffman Stadium Renovations

Post by Brad »

Apparently replaced the video board again
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Sherman announced a downtown stadium is being studied, no sites selected, its beyond the just an idea phase.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

strangerthings wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm Sherman announced a downtown stadium is being studied, no sites selected, its beyond the just an idea phase.
Man, I dunno about this. Kauffman Stadium IS approaching 50, but I still find it a great ballpark.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jag42 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:06 am
strangerthings wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm Sherman announced a downtown stadium is being studied, no sites selected, its beyond the just an idea phase.
Man, I dunno about this. Kauffman Stadium IS approaching 50, but I still find it a great ballpark.
I agree, I really like Kauffman.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:10 am
jag42 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:06 am
I agree, I really like Kauffman.

Yeah I have mixed feelings on this. I get the attraction to a downtown stadium and all but Kauffman is such a great ballpark. Absolutely love tailgating before games (we kind of cheat and get to go party bbq trays from Jack Stack or Gates). Once inside the stadium it's still fantastic. The renovations they did over 10 years ago worked on so many levels and all they've done since then is enhance them.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Overall I like a DT stadium but this is a BAD idea
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
strangerthings
Library Board

Post by strangerthings »

Mahomes (co-owner) has gone public in support of a downtown stadium