Top 5 Cities (beside Omaha)

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What the heck Aaron? What's up with no love for Denver?
Yeah Streets, whats up with Denver?
Umm....it doesn't appeal to me?  I think Denver and Colorado are way overrated.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Top 5:
1. San Francisco
2. San Diego
3. Los Angeles
4. Denver
5. NYC

Never live in:
1. Texas
2. Atlanta
3. Memphis
4. Cleveland
5. Buffalo
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

So...you would never live in some really nice cities. Personally I don't really care for San Diego, and I think Cleveland, Buffalo, and Memphis are surprisingly nice, once you get familiar with them.
http://okmet.org The talk of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma just aint Oklahoma anymore.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

My first two choices I feel strongly about never living in. The last three, Memphis, Cleveland, and Buffalo I came up with after thinking about every city over 1 million people and choosing those which there is nothing coming to mind to draw me there. Additionally they are experiencing or close to experiencing population decline, which leads me to believe there probably won't be anything to draw me their in the near future either.
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

:shock:

DT Memphis has had light rail for ages, plus there's the monorail to Mud Island. I would say Memphis solidly beats even OKC for now. Beale Street is what Bricktown wants to be. They've had NBA for a few years already. Memphis has slightly more downtown units proposed/uc than OKC, and more than twice as many as Omaha (assuming Omaha's count is still around 1,400). Their downtown has an annual 10% growth rate.

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/downtown ... ojects.asp

Here's one of DT Buffalo's new developments:

Buffalo is booming. I don't think that they have as many downtown units proposed/uc as Omaha right now, but things are heating up very quickly, and ground has broken on quite a few very, very nice projects.

Cleveland is harder to explain. Either you love it or you hate it, and if you're interested in SF you might like Cleveland (which it is basically a grittier version of), if you're interested in San Diego, you will HATE Cleveland. Cleveland though is definitely not the "Mistake by the Lake" that it's called. What few people know is that Cleveland is probably the 2nd largest concentration of modernist architecture in the Midwest, behind Detroit (which has an entire Mies van der Rohe District). If you're an architecture student, you have to take a trip to Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit, and you'll be blown away. Plus Cleveland has arguably the best symphony orchestra in the USA. This pic pretty much sums up Cleveland, which is gritty, eclectic, and always interesting.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

And that's just super for them, but every city I didn't list with my never live in ones has something that is more appealing to me. A lot of cities have light rail, pretty much every city has new condos going up, its more than that. Its the vibe, culture, politics, and status I would feel as a resident of the city. This is just over a million though, I could go on for a while listing sub-one million populated metros I wouldn't live in.

And by decline I meant people are moving away from the area. Between 2006 and 2007 Buffalo ranked 343/363 in population growth among US metro areas with a loss of 5,200 people. Good luck filling those condos...
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:And that's just super for them, but every city I didn't list with my never live in ones has something that is more appealing to me. A lot of cities have light rail, pretty much every city has new condos going up, its more than that. Its the vibe, culture, politics, and status I would feel as a resident
Well, that's not true. Light rail and urban development are a major part of the new cities setting up their own "vibe, culture, politics, and status I would feel as a resident". Believe it or not there are a lot of cities that aren't as big participators in the Rise of the Creative Class. Here's a basic run down of where those hotspots are starting to come through or already exist. And then the black dots on this map represent cities that aren't doing enough to position themselves for the Rise of the Creative Class, and they're likely to see their 'status' start to deteriorate.

red = good
black = bad

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Yeah...I'm sure the day is nearly upon us when Las Vegas loses its "cool" status. Soon it will have the same allure as Spokane, Washington.

Just let it go buddy. It's my opinion. The vibes that I like, the culture that I like, the politics that I like, the status I would feel as a resident. If it'll make you happy I'll switch out Buffalo for Rochester. I looove a good rail system, but Honolulu doesn't have a rail system and I certainly wouldn't detest to living there for a while. A rail system doesn't make the city. Urban development surely does...but what's going on in Memphis that is just so much greater than San Diego? Nothing that excites me.
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Las Vegas is not going to become any less cool, but it's definitely not about to start finally appealing to those who already found Vegas detestable all this time..

And it is your opinion. And these are my opinions. Ergo, this is a forum..

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

ricko wrote:Just five?

I've had a love/hate relationship with all of the cities I've lived in (Omaha, San Antonio, St. Louis, Chicago, Oklahoma City, D.C.), and have been charmed by many others I've spent time in, but If I had to pick 5 besides Omaha (which I've already decided on for retirement---hey, I'm addicted), they'd be:

1) Chicago
2) Washington D.C
3) Austin, Texas
4) Charlotte, N.C
5) San Francisco
I have never been to Charlotte, but I agree with you completely on the other 4 places.  I spend a lot of time in DC/No VA and love it.  Summers are brutal, however, but like you say, the ocean is only a few hours away (depending on traffic on US 50).
Chicago is a wonderful food town, with stupendous restaurants, and more culture than you can shake a stick at.  Traffic sucks big time, though.
Austin is definitely the only off-center place in Texas, and I love it for its eccentricities.  Great Mexican food, and all them bats!
SF is in a class all by itself, although I am not a fan of the weather in summer, when it can be downright chilly!  What is the old line...The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco.  Still, stellar food and definitely a world class international city.

I would add two other great cities are MSP and NYC.  MSP is the cleanest, most livable and cosmopolitan metro area in America between the East Coast and San Francisco ("You Betcha!").  And NYC is in a class all by itself.  I spent time there just before New Year's Eve and it was like one huge street party.  EVERYONE was happy.  Lots of families and small children out at 9, 10 pm doing Times Square and Rockefeller Center.  It is a very people friendly, safe city to visit.
OKCRenaissance
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OKCRenaissance »

Where I Would

1. Denver
2. Salt Lake
3. Austin
4. Charlotte
5. biased...Oklahoma City

Where I wouldn't live

1. Tulsa
2. Houston|Dallas|San Antonio|
3. Anything in said states: Montana, Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas, Alabama, Alaska, Mississippi, Nebraska, Idaho...you know, the boring states. :)
4. Detroit
5. Anything in California
OKC| continue the renaissance
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

What part of the country is the state of Bluffs in?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:What part of the country is the state of Bluffs in?
Middle of the east...between the states of Rock and Hard Place.
Go Cubs Go
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Good lord how many states do we have now? Has Puerto Rico caved yet?
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Plus I'm pretty sure not wanting to live in Tulsa or Texas is an OKC bias.. :)

gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I just got back from an amazing weekend spent down in Kansas City! A couple of things I took note of while I was down there...

1. Discussion for lightrail is getting heated down there right, Kansas City just seems to have grown more every time I go. Lightrail could be a huge improvement to the city, and just make it easier to get around. Looks like there is a bill being pursued which will put it to a vote in November.

2. I always try new restaurants while I am in KC. I am a huge fan of Italian foods. Last time my wife and I tried a place called Bravo! Cucina Italianahttp://www.bravoitalian.com/, amazing Tuscan style food, probably the best I've had outside of Italy. Anyways, this time we tried Cinzetti's http://cinzzettis.com/2007/ It's an ALL YOU CAN EAT Italian Market restaurant...for $14 you get amazing very well cooked Italian variety, including everything from oven fire pizza, antipastos, amazing desserts, and ice cream.

I still rate Kansas City as my favorite!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

No particular order
1. Vegas
2. Boston
3. KC
4. Denver
5. San Diego

Granted most of these are places that I frequent to visit family and I have thoroughly enjoyed the cities while there.