Power & Light District

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Power & Light District

Post by thenewguy »

My fiance and i are planning on heading down and catching a Royals game (her team) and going to world's of fun.  We're looking at staying downtown and hitting up the Power & Light District and while cruising the internet to check it out, i found this picture and i have a question:

The question is, what is the building on the lower left corner (the lit up one) that's adjacent to the convention center?
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's KC's long proposed new performing arts center.  Plans for it predate those for our own.  In fact, the KC Star newspaper did a piece a few years ago that was very complimentary of Omaha...sort of a "look what they have done.  Why can't we?" kind of piece.

Anyway, I can't speak to the proposal's current situation.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

thanks!
Go Cubs Go
kcpenny
New to the Neighborhood

Post by kcpenny »

Its the Performing Arts Center and its under construction. Completion scheduled for 2010-2011.

http://www.kauffmancenter.org/aboutus/v ... story.aspx
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh wow.  Great!  I wasn't aware construction had started.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that's actually pretty impressive.  I'm jealous :)  Then again, the Holland Center is pretty renowned, too :;):
Go Cubs Go
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Power and Light District is awesome.  They have a festival liquor license so you can really bar hop.

Some great hotels within walking distance which is great.

Greg
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

well we got back from our mini vacation today to Kansas City and i have to say, i have a new found appreciate for the place.  We stayed at Hotel Phillips:

(not my photo...this is from a travel guide.  also, the rolls out front is parked in the wrong direction):

...and from the hotel we were like 4 blocks from the power and light district, which i will say is AWESOME.  Honestly, i was really impressed.  Having north downtown develop into something like that would not be at all a bad thing.  If they had some more retail and some mid-rise apartments/condos with restaurants, etc, that'd be sweet.  
Down there, they have like 8 or so bars/restaurants that are all open to the street on one side, and on the back side, between them, there is a large covered and open space that serves hard liquor and (i think at certain times) beers.  They have a nice Irish pub, hard rock cafe looking place, a western bar or 2, modern dance club, sports bar, bowling alley, movie theater, etc.  They're fixing up a couple of old theaters to be used again which is also pretty cool.  
Like i said, having north downtown turn into something like that would be great.  
If you haven't been there (p&l district) yet (just opened in march i think), you should go check it out.  the atmosphere was really good and i genuinely did not want to leave.  I think if we can develop enough from the CBD northwards to tie it in, that'd be phenomenal for Omaha.   I've got pictures that i want to put up, i just have to remember what image hosting site i went through and what my password is.  

All i can say is that it was a great time, and i hope we can do something along those lines up here; it'd be a great compliment to the old market and do wonders for helping downtown develop.

i'll see if i can get those pictures up later.
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Use tinypic.com

no login or password to remember.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Use tinypic.com

I would suggest image shack.  Tiny pic removes your pics a few months after they are posted.  I have photos on this forum from image shack that I posted 4 years ago.

Last night I was searching for a pic but could not find it because your and Josh use tiny pic and Chris removed all his photos.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Use tinypic.com

I would suggest image shack.  Tiny pic removes your pics a few months after they are posted.  
I've had stuff stay on Tinypic for over a year. I think it's more like they remove it once it's no longer accessed for some time.

Here's a thread here with some I posted last August, stored on tinypic.com. Still there and visible.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6808
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Greg S
City Council

Re: Power & Light District

Post by Greg S »

Yard House coming to Power and Light. Going to fill a spot that has been vacant the entire time by the Midland Theatre.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/23/50 ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Power and Light is getting tons of exposure on ABC/ESPN during the World Cup. Every time the US scores they show P and L for the reaction, the place has just been packed. Also saw it on Sports Center and ABC News.

Greg
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Greg S wrote:Yard House coming to Power and Light.  Going to fill a spot that has been vacant the entire time by the Midland Theatre.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/23/50 ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
That will be a popular addition.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

With the Yard House close to opening, P and L is now 94% leased. Also looks like lots more residential on it's way based on demand.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... house.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sounds like the 2nd high rise apartment tower for P and L getting closer to reality:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 87785.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Meanwhile, proposals for Capitol Ave languish. Also, is it not possible for SOMEONE to say "Hey! Downtown Omaha/North Downtown/The Riverfront is ripe for new construction high rise residential." And then do it?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

But the surface lots!!!!!! Where on earth will people park their cars?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Rally House opening a store in March. Love this place, actually buy most of my Husker stuff from them (in addition to Royals and Chiefs).

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 39979.html

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Joe's KC with a new concept coming to Power and Light. Will replace Gordon Biersch. Will have many of the BBQ items from their restaraunts:

http://www.kansascity.com/living/liv-co ... 09582.html

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Pretty impressive. Crowd at Power and Light to watch USA in Women’s World Cup:

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i found waldo