New Target Tower in Minneapolis?

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Maverick
Home Owners Association

New Target Tower in Minneapolis?

Post by Maverick »

http://twincities.bizjournals.com/twinc ... %5E1643229
Hines is "rolling up its sleeves" and going "full speed" designing and marketing the tower, which would rise between 50 and 60 stories, said Bill Chopp, senior vice president - operations and head of Hines' Minneapolis office.
Chopp declined to say what tenants Hines is aiming to land for its tower, but the market has been abuzz for the past few months with speculation that Minneapolis-based Target Corp. is looking for a new home for about 4,000 employees who now work in the 33 South Sixth building downtown. Target's lease for about 800,000 square feet there expires in November 2012.
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

Doh.  I hadn't heard about this.  I like the current structure because of the coloured lights at night. :)

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'll be getting to know Minneapolis pretty well over the next few years... as my son is going to be a Golden Gopher.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sorry to hear that Jeff. A Golden Rodent?
I hope it is for a good education  :P
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

yeah, the football sucks... but half time will be good (Kyle's second passion)... and the physics and chemical engineering programs even better (oh, and the price couldn't be beat).

[youtube][/youtube]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Football? You are so Nebraska. Enroll him in NCAA Hockey 101. He may be a numbers nerd but don't let him become an outsider! My first semester of Grad school in MN I was so out of the loop when anyone talked about Hockey. And that is what they talk about. I love the Twin Cities area - but you have to talk hockey! and learn the MN accent.
Maverick
Home Owners Association

Post by Maverick »

Doh.  I hadn't heard about this.  I like the current structure because of the coloured lights at night.
Not sure what you meant by that?  They wouldn't be tearing down anything taller than 2 stories.  Just adding to the skyline, making it better ;)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:Football? You are so Nebraska. Enroll him in NCAA Hockey 101. He may be a numbers nerd but don't let him become an outsider! My first semester of Grad school in MN I was so out of the loop when anyone talked about Hockey. And that is what they talk about. I love the Twin Cities area - but you have to talk hockey! and learn the MN accent.
Funny, no one ever talked about hockey when I went to MCAD.  Bunch of damn art hippies. :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Okay, I had the pleasure of going on a 2 hour tour of downtown and uptown Minneapolis, and a couple of the 'lake neighborhoods' yesterday ... Minneapolis has become my all time favorite city.

It makes Kansas City and St Louis look like... well... Omaha.

Something else which I found fascinating... it has mile after mile of old, inner city neighborhoods... in nearly pristine condition.  If you ever wondered what the old, wood frame, bungalow type houses which you see in run down parts of Omaha... looked like in their 'heyday'... visit Minneapolis.

I wonder if I could weather their winters.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:I wonder if I could weather their winters.
No you could not.  I gave up in five years, and I'm a lot tougher than you. :;):

Actually I would say it depends entirely on where you live.  If you live and work downtown, you can get to almost everywhere without ever having to go outside.  Even then, it's not much more than walking across a street to another set of skywalks.

Commutes to the burbs were absolute nightmares, any time of year.  Add an hour when it snowed.  Although, they were absolute pros when it came to snow removal.

-Big E
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Stargazer wrote:Okay, I had the pleasure of going on a 2 hour tour of downtown and uptown Minneapolis, and a couple of the 'lake neighborhoods' yesterday ... Minneapolis has become my all time favorite city.

It makes Kansas City and St Louis look like... well... Omaha.

Something else which I found fascinating... it has mile after mile of old, inner city neighborhoods... in nearly pristine condition.  If you ever wondered what the old, wood frame, bungalow type houses which you see in run down parts of Omaha... looked like in their 'heyday'... visit Minneapolis.

I wonder if I could weather their winters.
It's been at least 5-6 years but I am finally getting back to MSP for a long weekend this weekend.  I can't wait.  This has got to be my favorite second tier metro in the country.  They don't call it the Mini-Apple for nothing.  And the locals are soooooo friendly.  Like Mormons without the cult religion.