Downtown OKC and Bricktown

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OKCRenaissance
New to the Neighborhood

Downtown OKC and Bricktown

Post by OKCRenaissance »

Here are some pictures I've taken of Downtown OKC and Bricktown. Enjoy!

Lower Bricktown We don't talk about Lower Bricktown around here/

Bricktown

Bricktown

The CBD

The grittier, ugly side of downtown

Art District

OKC| continue the renaissance
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Holy photo frenzy, Batman!!

Ok, I'll bite...what's Lower Bricktown?
OKCRenaissance
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OKCRenaissance »

Lower Bricktown is just south of Historic Bricktown. Its a modern extension of BT, you could say, except its not very urban...at all.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. Nice collection of photos! Thanks for sharing them. I need to visit OKC sometime - this looks like a great district.
Welcome to eOmahaForums OKCRenaissance. You can share your OKC info anytime here!
OKCRenaissance
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OKCRenaissance »

Thanks! I decided to join because I find OKC and Omaha two very similar up-and-coming cities and I like looking at what other cities our size are like.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes - both cities are revitalizing their downtown districts and are growing in similar patterns.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool!  Thanks for posting.
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Hey architect2010! Looks like the start of another accidental Okie invasion on one of these forums lol. Omaha IS a nice city Great pics.. for like the millionth time.
:;):
http://okmet.org The talk of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma just aint Oklahoma anymore.

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

OKCRenaissance wrote: I find OKC and Omaha two very similar  
:barf:
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

And here I was about to do the same on OKC's behalf.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
OKCRenaissance
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OKCRenaissance »

Uhhhh...well aren't you two warm and welcoming... /=

Hey Spartan! Ready to tear these forums up too? =P
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No thanks. We've been down that road before.
DTO
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Wow, great pics. I will have to visit OKC sometime soon. I think if anything OKC is very underated and Omaha has some catching up to do. Maybe I would have to be there in person to get a true perspective.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:lol:

Other than that god awful looking movie theater they have, it is the other way around playing catch up.
DTO
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

LOL if you say so. But I don't think OKC's new NBA team, thousands upon thousands of new downtown residential units, planned high-rises and mid-rises galore, and top-10 Forbes rankings every 2 weeks is playing catch-up to anyone, but hey, whatever LOL. I don't know why you feel the need to shoot my city down. Guess that's that famous DTO Luv forum hospitality for ya.

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Feel the luv. :)
DTO
OKCRenaissance
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OKCRenaissance »

Hahaha, well aren't you just misinformed.

But then again, everyone seems to think their city is greater than everyone else's, and that's fine, because people know which city is the one that needs to play catch-up.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Sounds like Omaha and OKC are in the same boat, and I am not surprised...

I have been following OKC for awhile now, and while Omaha (with Lincoln soon to be added, close last time) Omaha is at about 1.15mil and OKC is at about 1.2 million people and both cities have towers and mid-rises (planned and under construction and recently constructed) and renovations with major expansions in their downtown (Omaha has thousands of condos/apartments/town homes and row-housing planned and presently under construction), OKC gets to have an NBA team which is not surprising as this is about the size a city gets to, to be considered for a major league team and Omaha is going to be building a 24,000 seat stadium that is expandable to 36,000 seats and will have much more than the CWS in their (will not have MLB, but large scale events that don't go to the Qwest)..

Let's admit it, both OKC and Omaha are boom cities and sister cities.  Even if you don't think so, that's okay, still doesn't change at how closely the two cities are related in terms of entertainment, retail, population surges, new construction, downtown booms and everything else..

Omaha will always be my number one city, but I am a huge fan of OKC  :D
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I agree.  OKC folks and Omaha folks will not get anyone to appreciate what they are trying to say about improvements their respective cities are making if they're just getting into p*ssing matches all the time.  Both cities are comparable in many ways, both appear to have a lot of vibrancy in the core of their downtown and are making good strides in advance into the future.  Who cares who has what?  I mean, it should be understood though that this is an Omaha forum and you'd have to expect people here to be defensive as a result, the same way people from an Oklahoma City forum would be defensive if Omahans went in there trying to down play it :)  

"Can't we all just get along?"

...And for the record, i think OKC is a good looking city and seems to have a lot to offer.  While in reality Omaha is my favorite city right now, i left my heart in Chicago :)
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I scoff hardly because I'm ignorant of OKC but I do know a fair amount thanks to the last time Golden Eagle got on here and shoved OKC's greatness down our throats. It all started the day rumors of the Sonics moving to OKC and it suddenly becoming the greatest city on earth. It wasn't just this board but lots of other ones where he went around trolling and comparing OKC to every place. It's an old tired act.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

DTO Luv wrote:I scoff hardly because I'm ignorant of OKC but I do know a fair amount thanks to the last time Golden Eagle got on here and shoved OKC's greatness down our throats. It all started the day rumors of the Sonics moving to OKC and it suddenly becoming the greatest city on earth. It wasn't just this board but lots of other ones where he went around trolling and comparing OKC to every place. It's an old tired act.

Yeah, that I can understand that, I hate people that troll..
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Jeez, you guys, ease up a little.  The thread category IS "elsewhere".  I think it's nice to see how OKC is coming along.  I didn't sense a bit of anti- Omaha hostility in their posts.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Fair enough.

(If you do want to see anti-Omaha though, check their site. :))
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am trying to post this on your forum, but your form is being retarded when it comes to photos....
brad_in_omaha wrote:Greetings from Omaha

All in good fun....

UNO Hockey in the old barn, Omaha Civic Auditorium:
Hockey and Basketball in the Same Day:
Creighton Basketball:
Rosenblatt Stadium (on ESPN right now)
Omaha Lancers, USHL National Champions
Nebraska Volleyball:

Omaha Zoo
The Missouri River Pedestrian Bridge (almost finished)

Post by the1wags »

Jeez, this thread is completely out of order. I have cable internet and it takes too long to load.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good, If we can't put photos on the OKC forum, at least no one can see this one either.... :;):
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

It's a server issue. I had an admin of ours move the forums to a better server and the url got messed up and pointed to a different address that we own, that's why the threads say oktalk.net instead of okmet.org and before we could fix it my tech-savvy admin got stationed in Iraq, so we're just trying to make do. The big development portal is also down but that's mainly because I got tired of updating it every other week with new projects.. I don't know what I was thinking, to do an entire forum and urban site better than anyone else's for an entire state, including two separate big cities..

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

well good luck.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Golden Eagle wrote:It's a server issue. I had an admin of ours move the forums to a better server and the url got messed up and pointed to a different address that we own, that's why the threads say oktalk.net instead of okmet.org and before we could fix it my tech-savvy admin got stationed in Iraq, so we're just trying to make do. The big development portal is also down but that's mainly because I got tired of updating it every other week with new projects.. I don't know what I was thinking, to do an entire forum and urban site better than anyone else's for an entire state, including two separate big cities..
What's with the sarcasm?  I don't see the reason that Oklahoma City people feel the need to say |expletive| on an Omaha forum, like Omaha is second rate to OKC.  I think they're both good cities; there's not a need to come here just to upset people off.

And i agree wags, there may be almost too many pictures...my high speed has trouble keeping up with this page.  The military is going to start wondering why there's so much bandwith being eaten up in the Omaha area :)
Go Cubs Go
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Tom Shatel wrote not too long ago in the Ask Tom on-line deal about several bars and restaurants had closed in Bricktown since the last time he was there.  I'm going down in August (my wife is from OKC).  I've always enjoyed Bricktown and was surprised to hear that some of the places had closed.

Greg
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

thenewguy wrote:
Golden Eagle wrote:It's a server issue. I had an admin of ours move the forums to a better server and the url got messed up and pointed to a different address that we own, that's why the threads say oktalk.net instead of okmet.org and before we could fix it my tech-savvy admin got stationed in Iraq, so we're just trying to make do. The big development portal is also down but that's mainly because I got tired of updating it every other week with new projects.. I don't know what I was thinking, to do an entire forum and urban site better than anyone else's for an entire state, including two separate big cities..
What's with the sarcasm?  I don't see the reason that Oklahoma City people feel the need to say |expletive| on an Omaha forum, like Omaha is second rate to OKC.  I think they're both good cities; there's not a need to come here just to urinate people off.
Well first off let me mention my glee in learning that I could be a part in curing all urinary tract health problems in Omaha! Second of all you say "Oklahoma City people" but I'm pretty sure that you're problem rests squarely with me, newguy. Third of all I'm pretty good at sarcasm but I can't for the life of me find where in the comment you posted or elsewhere in this thread I was insulting Omaha and accusing it of being second rate to OKC. Fourth of all, you're |expletive| |expletive| sure as a son of a |expletive| right out of |expletive| that Omaha or any place that isn't OKC is second rate to none other than OKC. But hey, I like Omaha, and I can only think of about.....1,149 places I would rather live than Omaha.

Just kidding. All sarcasm aside (but ya asked for it) I think Omaha is a great city, and I anxiously await each time I dine at the Applebee's steakhouse in Council Bluffs 3 or 4 times a year on my way up to Sioux City. It's a fantastic example of a city that works, as opposed to a city that starts with a good thing and falls apart and just goes down hill until all of their companies have relocated to Houston and you're left with nothing but a bunch of wealthy boozers whose daily commute consists of going out to the golf course in their backyard each morning and then complaining when they don't get a "larger half" of state funds, not naming any names........

S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Golden Eagle wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
What's with the sarcasm?  I don't see the reason that Oklahoma City people feel the need to say |expletive| on an Omaha forum, like Omaha is second rate to OKC.  I think they're both good cities; there's not a need to come here just to urinate people off.
Well first off let me mention my glee in learning that I could be a part in curing all urinary tract health problems in Omaha! Second of all you say "Oklahoma City people" but I'm pretty sure that you're problem rests squarely with me, newguy. Third of all I'm pretty good at sarcasm but I can't for the life of me find where in the comment you posted or elsewhere in this thread I was insulting Omaha and accusing it of being second rate to OKC. Fourth of all, you're |expletive| |expletive| sure as a son of a |expletive| right out of |expletive| that Omaha or any place that isn't OKC is second rate to none other than OKC. But hey, I like Omaha, and I can only think of about.....1,149 places I would rather live than Omaha.

Just kidding. All sarcasm aside (but ya asked for it) I think Omaha is a great city, and I anxiously await each time I dine at the Applebee's steakhouse in Council Bluffs 3 or 4 times a year on my way up to Sioux City. It's a fantastic example of a city that works, as opposed to a city that starts with a good thing and falls apart and just goes down hill until all of their companies have relocated to Houston and you're left with nothing but a bunch of wealthy boozers whose daily commute consists of going out to the golf course in their backyard each morning and then complaining when they don't get a "larger half" of state funds, not naming any names........

Why in heck would you go to Sioux City? lol, just curious.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Golden Eagle wrote: I think Omaha is a great city, and I anxiously await each time I dine at the Applebee's steakhouse in Council Bluffs 3 or 4 times a year on my way up to Sioux City.
This pretty much robs you of any credibility as far as opinion of Omaha. 3 or 4 times a year you come through here and..... go to the Applebees in CB? Nothing wrong with Applebees, but try turning left and come get a steak in the Old Market. You know, actually come into Omaha. :;):
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

the1wags wrote:
Golden Eagle wrote: I think Omaha is a great city, and I anxiously await each time I dine at the Applebee's steakhouse in Council Bluffs 3 or 4 times a year on my way up to Sioux City.
This pretty much robs you of any credibility as far as opinion of Omaha. 3 or 4 times a year you come through here and..... go to the Applebees in CB? Nothing wrong with Applebees, but try turning left and come get a steak in the Old Market. You know, actually come into Omaha. :;):
Or, Pink Poodle steakhouse a few exits north of the Applebees!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Well, I glad that applebees is doing their part in helping our image for those traveling to Sioux City. :D
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Ugh! It was just a sarcastic joke peoples, get over it. One time I came up and decided I was sick of Applebees (from Topeka) and settled on HuHot Mongolian Grill instead, another place in the fine commercial wasteland of Council Bluffs (which by the way is the biggest dump I've ever seen in my life).

If I wanted credibility to establish an opinion of Omaha I probably wouldn't have drafted an entire post of nothing except sarcasm. And by the way, the opinion you had to discredit was one that is pretty positive, but suit yourself. I've seen the Old Market before, yes, and I've been to the Old Market, eaten at a restaurant called Omaha Prime, been to the Henry Doorly Zoo, been to the same mall that got shot at, and not much else honestly. I guess for people in Sioux City that Omaha is sort of "the city" .. although Sioux City leaves little to be desired honestly. Was I more impressed with Omaha than Sioux City? Not really, but I probably didn't get to see the good areas of Omaha (unless anyone considers Council Bluffs or the area around the zoo to be a nice area) other than your downtown area.

Now Sioux City, I could go on and on and on about.. mainly how fascinating it is that only 80,000 people live in that town. Those people are so progressive for such an incredibly small town. I spend hours each week writing negative stuff about my hometown of Bryan, TX, and I've been trying to get some city leaders from Bryan to visit Sioux City (which is smaller than Bryan) to get an idea of how to run a city. Everything in Sioux City is superb, the new lifestyle center on the south side, the Missouri River riverfront, the Art Deco downtown arena, the adjoining Gateway Convention Center, all of the Dakota Dunes stuff, Historic 6th Street, plus Sioux City is, overall, a really, really nice, historic kind of town, with nice old neighborhoods, and people that are really friendly. I hate leaving each time I come up to see my sister!

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i wonder if we're thinking of the same Sioux City... :)  Every time i have been up to, or through, it has literally smelled like |expletive| (that's why many call it, "Sewer City").  I won't comment on the Omaha/Council Bluffs stuff, I'm sure DTO or Brad or Icejammer or someone will do that instead :P
Go Cubs Go
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I just love it when someone judges a whole town just by driving through it on the interstate!!!! Golden Eagle apparently has never ventured off to see our downtown, historic homes in the bluffs and beautiful new hosing on the east side.  I have been to Oklahoma City many times as my sister-in-law lives there.  There are some nice things about the city but personally I couldn't live there.  Maybe Tulsa but OKC, No way.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I was trying to spare some feelings by leaving it out of my top five cities I wouldn't live in in the other thread, but OKC is actually a place I definitely would not consider living in.

Downtown area seems ok, but there's some left to be desired. Lower Bricktown looks like they tried to take a suburban lifestyle center and put it in downtown, which isn't a bad idea, but its execuation in this case seems to show that the developer(s) are more used to suburban work. All the while it seems they were trying to emulate the San Antonio Riverwalk but not doing as good of a job at it. There's a difference between a riverwalk and a river you can walk next to. Outside of this area....what is there? I'll take San Diego, thank-you.
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

If Omaha could count Lincoln in its metro figures, not only would it be near the size of OKC but it also couldn't hardly be any less dense than OKC.  I think that is where many people take issue with the barrage of OKC being leaps and bounds above Omaha.  While OKC has much to brag about and the apparent get of a NBA franchise speaks for the progress of the city.

But at the same time, it seems strange that OKC forum members have to come here to brag about the greatness of their city to citizens of a city they despise so much.  If OKC was that much greater than Omaha, shouldn't citizens of Omaha, fat kids, skinny kids, and kids who climb on rocks - you know, everybody - already know about the heaven that is OKC and currently be in tears over not living there?

Again, I think OKC is impressive and probably slightly ahead of Omaha (though when you can claim nearly 500,000 more people in your metro, that helps), but I just think it is rather naive to come here and post about the greatness that is OKC and expect no negative replies (especially when you have already done it before).