The NBA to start plying in OKC this year

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

The NBA to start plying in OKC this year

Post by Golden Eagle »

The team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics will begin playing this year in OKC at the Ford Center. They will just play through the renovations I guess. So far no name, nor team colors, nor logo has been chosen so the team is officially just be referenced to as the "OKC NBA team." All of that though will change and an announcement is expected in two or three weeks. Rumors are circulating that they're leaning towards charcoal and off white for the colors. Some potential team names that have been floated around are the OKC Barons, OKC Bandits, and OKC 66ers. We shall all see in a matter of weeks..

The team's D-League affiliate will be the Tulsa 66ers, which are shared with the Milwaukee Bucks (the NY Knicks are finding another D-League affiliate). Clay Bennett is in negotiations to play most or all of the pre-season games in Tulsa's new BOk Center.
http://okmet.org The talk of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma just aint Oklahoma anymore.

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm sure this annoys KC... almost as much as Seattle.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Re: The NBA to start plying in OKC this year

Post by Erik »

Golden Eagle wrote:Image

The team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics will begin playing this year in OKC at the Ford Center. They will just play through the renovations I guess. So far no name, nor team colors, nor logo has been chosen so the team is officially just be referenced to as the "OKC NBA team." All of that though will change and an announcement is expected in two or three weeks. Rumors are circulating that they're leaning towards charcoal and off white for the colors. Some potential team names that have been floated around are the OKC Barons, OKC Bandits, and OKC 66ers. We shall all see in a matter of weeks..

The team's D-League affiliate will be the Tulsa 66ers, which are shared with the Milwaukee Bucks (the NY Knicks are finding another D-League affiliate). Clay Bennett is in negotiations to play most or all of the pre-season games in Tulsa's new BOk Center.

That's awesome!  I am a fan of OKC and am thrilled to see the city get a professional team..

Omaha is not far off, and with Lincoln soon to be add to the metro, 1.2mil will put the area under future consideration..
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Welcome to a week ago. I say they call the team the twisters and everyone has to do 360 dunks. :lol:
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Re: The NBA to start plying in OKC this year

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Erik wrote:
Golden Eagle wrote:Image

That's awesome!  I am a fan of OKC and am thrilled to see the city get a professional team..

Omaha is not far off, and with Lincoln soon to be add to the metro, 1.2mil will put the area under future consideration..
It will never happen.  It took me a long time to admit that but I feel much better having done so.  Professional sports is at a point where they want to expand internationally.  The NFL wants in Canada.  NBA wants in Europe.  The leagues all are at that perfect number of 30 teams.  Expanding any of the leagues would spread talent too thin.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't know about the international expansion... but I know they're not coming here in a VERY, VERY long time... support what we got folks.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Stargazer wrote:I don't know about the international expansion... but I know they're not coming here in a VERY, VERY long time... support what we got folks.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html
The NBA's on-and-off approach to expansion into Europe is back on again. Commissioner David Stern is considering new plans to create five full-fledged NBA franchises in Europe over the next decade, a league source told SI.com.
Interesting idea, but there is 0 shot in heck that it would work.
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

I don't understand its logistics either. I guess with the Concorde travel from one of our main airport hubs to Paris is very swift. They would have to become the IBA at least.. as for Omaha, I consider Omaha to be at the crossroads that OKC was at when we just surpassed 1 million around 1990 (now almost at 1.3 mil), but that doesn't mean anything because there was no big secret to OKC being the "next big city" since most of it was luck. We've been making presentations to NBA, NHL, and NFL folks for the last two decades. What happened was the NBA needed a temp home very quickly due to some circumstances, and they knew they could turn to OKC, and they figured it couldn't be worse than just leaving the team high and dry in post-Katrina New Orleans. Without the Hornets, inevitably, OKC would be nowhere near where it is today.

Let's face it, "up and coming" doesn't mean anything today. Towns like OKC don't get pro teams anymore like they used to (And if they do, they have to be in a very important state like Jacksonville), and OKC probably shouldn't have gotten the NBA--but OKC did get the NBA and it already proved to be a fantastic NBA city with the Hornets, and now with its very own team, that should be an even more potent recipe for success.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's going to be interesting to watch what happens in OKC.  The NBA is very expensive.  Will they support this team at the same level 10 years from now?  Also look at how well Seattle supported the Sonics (including putting millions into Key Arena in the 90's).   I also remember Charlotte being the toast of the NBA averaging over 20k a game then losing the team a few years later.  

I would much rather have the NHL in KC than the NBA.

Greg
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Charlotte has an NBA team, the Bobcats, and David Stern is trying hard to repair relations between the City of Charlotte and the NBA because you're right, it was the toast of the league before George Shinn soured the city. Stern is just trying to get the NBA popular again before the MLB can put a franchise in Charlotte.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Choices for name of team narrows
NewsOK.com wrote:The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for Oklahoma City's franchise — Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls (spelled with two Ls), Thunder and Wind, according to the U.S. patent and trademark office. KOCO-TV has reported that "according to a source close to the ownership group,” the name will be Thunder.  Thunder won a fan vote on NewsOK.com. All the names, except for Marshalls, were top picks by readers, as well.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

$100,000 says they enter the court to "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just like every time Thunder Collins touched the ball.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:Just like every time Thunder Collins touched the ball.
Which was what?  8 times?
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:
Coyote wrote:Just like every time Thunder Collins touched the ball.
Which was what?  8 times?
Per game? That's about right - he did gain 165 yards against highly touted Baylor in 2001.

I think it was that year that Husker Vision decided that NU didn't have a marching band and constantly played music clips between downs and changes of possession. For the first quarter of that year it was cool - but after that it really as overkill. 'Start Me Up' at every kick off... Just because you can do it doesn't make it the wisest choice.
Golden Eagle
Home Owners Association

Post by Golden Eagle »

Everyone down here wants Barons. Except the people that want Thunder, but most people HATE Thunder. Most people don't hate Barons. Therefor everyone wants Barons.