Sioux City MSA

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

LarryDavidSon
New to the Neighborhood

Sioux City MSA

Post by LarryDavidSon »

admin: Your wish... is my command
admin: This is a response to the following thread in another forum... http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77 . At the suggestion of LarryDavidSon, we now have a new forum category for discussion of areas outside of Omaha/Nebraska within the region.
----

Yes, Sioux City is a MSA and has been one for quite some time. I believe in 1920 or so, it had a population of over 90,000 and had one of the nations first elevated rail systems. It used to be Woodbury County, Iowa and Dakota County, Nebraska but Union County, SD was recently added to the MSA amid much footwork by Sioux City. Although Sioux City, Iowa is not very populated (85,000) it is very much a mini-metro area. There are actually a number of suburban-type areas including mostly upscale Dakota Dunes, Sergeant Bluff, McCook Lake, Dakota City, N. Sioux, S. Sioux that are all feeder cities to SC IA. Sioux City, itself also includes very distinct neighborhoods for such a small population. However, among these neighborhoods, it includes some of the most blighted neighborhoods(Riverside, West Side, parts of South Sioux, parts of East Side) you will find in a metro of any size. When I was growing up, I remember reading a news story where the city had redtagged and demolished dozens of crack houses--this is Sioux City, Iowa!

I don't know if you realize it, but Sioux Citians are also highly dependent on Omaha. Eppley has basically forced air travel in Sioux City to nothing. Retail and entertainment also suffered due to Omaha with things only recently improving. The city is experiencing something of a retail and entertainment boom with the following developments:
Influx of new downtown restaurants like Famous Dave's and entertainment area on Historic 4th Street (pseudo Old Market area)
New Arena (10,000 seats)
Orpheum major renovation (acts like Jewel, Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow)
Downtown theater complex (14 screens) along with warehouse hotel renovation
Relocation of discount theaters to abandoned downtown cinema

There are also impressive retail developments bring more retail options to SC so they won't need to go to Omaha or Des Moines...
B&N Booksellers, Chuck E. Cheese, Scheels and JCPenney added at mall this year
New Target Greatlands and Lowes near mall
500,000 sq. feet of retail(big box) to be added near mall
2 Super Wal-Marts completed last year, another one coming to South Sioux
SC Stockyards to be redeveloped into Big Box Retail Center with Home Depot.

This might not sound like much, but considering SC is 1/7 the size of Omaha, it will do its part to make Sioux City a more viable engine of economic activity.

Sorry to get so off topic, but what does the administrator think about adding a forum for "Nebraska and the Region" to include places like Sioux City, Grand Island, Norfolk, and Des Moines.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I haven't been to Sioux City in 4 years now, and it sounds like the place is really coming around nicely. It's kind of got the misfortune of being crammed in between the booming metros of Sioux Falls and Omaha, and I'm sure the competition accounts for some of the stagnation in the development of Sioux City. Parts of the place seemed pretty rough and industrial, but I also saw a lot of potential in a few historical neighborhoods. Dakota Dunes seems to steal a lot of the region's thunder, at least it seemed to be that way over the past decade.

Unless I deceide to take a day trip to Sioux City, I probably won't have a chance to make it out there until the Iowa League of Cities Conference, which SC is hosting this September.

Does SC still have two downtown department stores? Also, has there been much in the way of residential rehab in existing downtown buildings?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for sharing this information.

You mentioned the population of 90,000 in 1920... I looked into it... that period indeed seemed to see an unusually large increase in numbers. During that decade ... Sioux City saw 25,000 people come into the metro. Yet in the decades since... it has hardly added another 25,000 people total. I'd be interested to know what brought the rush of people during that period.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Well, river barge traffic most likely played second fiddle to the railroad at this time, but Sioux City was among places like Omaha, KC, St. Joesph and Fort Worth when it came to the cattle/meatpacking 'heritage.' Maybe this had something to do with the growth during that time.

Here's a rather large stock photo of Sioux City. Still one of the best that I've found on the web.

Post by Guest »

Nice. :)

I always wondered what Sioux City looked like. They appear to have bluffs similar to those around CB, no?

Post by Guest »

Sioux City is one of those enigma cities. It was once supposed to rival Chicago and had one of the largest stockyards in the world. The elevated rail moved Sioux Citians to suburbs like Morningside. Cattle was king. But everything fell flat in the last 25-30 years.

Yes, Sioux City still has a JCPenney and a Younkers downtown. JCP is moving to Southern Hills Mall and the future of Younkers is uncertain. Younkers already has a larger store at the mall which is to be expanded in the distant future. I don't know of any small to medium sized city in the country that had a JCPenney and another major department store still operating in the year 2004. Even though the city has the good fortune of having these big name draws downtown...little was done to capitalize. When men's and women's dress shops of yesterday all shut down in the 80s and 90s...there was no other retail except for JCP, Younkers, a few jewelers and one remaining men's store (Karlton's). The downtown area is also fully connected via skywalks. Sioux City has some dandies when it comes to buildings downtown including the majestic Woodbury County Courthouse, Badgerow Building, Call Teriminal and many others. The focus of downtown seems to be entertainment and restaurants along some offices and residential. Unfortunately, there has been no interest from major developers in building market-rate housing downtown, so most of the projects are HUD stuff.

The warrior hotel is one that would've already been converted had it been in Omaha or KC, but sits vacant waiting to become a home for the elderly.

Although many Omahans may consider Sioux City the smelly part of I-29, but the smells keep all the bad people away. Sioux City is still sometimes plagued by the "new is always better" syndrome and are rejoicing everytime a new chain enters town, but this city is very unique and lovable once you get to know it. Is there another city in Iowa with three indie record stores like Sioux City has? Or what other city throws a free concert at its majestic bandshell and invites Michelle Branch, the Wallflowers, Blues Traveler, the Allman Brothers Band, and many others over the years? Sioux City was also redeveloping its riverfront years before it was en vogue. I may be biased, but there is something very unique and attractive about this town.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Thanks for your post Guest.

I made a goof though... I require registration before posting in all forums. When creating this new category... I neglected to enforce that policy.

From this point forward... anyone posting, will need to register (sorry for the inconvenience... it just ensures some accountability/identity).
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Here's a breakdown of Sioux City's growth over the decades. One would have to assume Gateway nearly single handedly contributed to the relatively big gain of the 90's.

If anyone wants to look these up for another metro... here's the website...
http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/popmd/

Decade / Population / Numeric change / % change
1900 60,896 - -
1910 74,180 13,284 2.0
1920 99,865 25,685 3.0
1930 111,174 11,309 1.1
1940 113,463 2,289 0.2
1950 114,318 855 0.1
1960 120,017 5,699 0.5
1970 116,189 -3,828 -0.3
1980 117,457 1,268 0.1
1990 115,018 -2,439 -0.2
2000 124,130 9,112 0.8
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I would think a lot of the big gain during the 1990's would've came from the hispanic migration push that's happening all over the midwest. Sioux City has had a large hispanic population for some time now, and it seems to be rapidly increasing.

In regards to development, hopefully Sioux City won't miss the wagon too much by not converting its declining, but historical buildings to a more appropriate use. Getting tax credits to rehab a building for low income old people is better than nothing, but city leaders should strive for something market rate.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No doubt... likely most of them going to Dakota County (IBP in particular) which saw over 20% growth during the 90's.

We'll call it a tale of two cities... Dakota Dunes... and South Sioux City.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

That is remarkable how two cities in states other than Iowa grow so much in this tri-state metro, while Sioux City proper sits dead |expletive| stagnant. I've seen some residential growth in nearby Iowa communities like Hinton, Sargeant Bluff and Le Mars, but what about the City of Sioux City itself? Any new subdivisions or pockets of medium new growth?

Anyways, here's some more Soo City from my harddrive:

City Art Museum

City Hall

Veterans Bridge

Floyd Monument

Tyson Events Center (sorry for the large size)

Skyline

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I have yet to see a picture which really captures the beauty of downtown Sioux City as you come around that bend on your way up 29. These photos make it look so much more spread out. Guess I'll have to go recreat'in up at Yankton again this year.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Just don't go procreat'in in Yankton this year too. :)
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Rest assured that's not going to happen! (not to say there won't be some motor activity) While having just recently begun giving up the car keys to our daughter ... our interest in adding to the family subsided YEARS ago! (such milestones have that cumulative effect)
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

The mood's not quite right for reading this thread. Let me adjust the hi-fi...

Boom-Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom

Ahhh, that's better.
LarryDavidSon
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LarryDavidSon »

That was me a guest...sorry :D

I am glad theres is some interest in Sewer City...as it is commonly referred to. I thought I was the only one who appreciated the city's mini-skyline as you navigate the I-29's min-gridlock.

I noticed that in the latest MSAs...Sioux City CSA now includes Vermillion SD (pop. 10,000; home of U of SD) which is 26 miles from the SC IA border.

This is actually Sioux City Hall...
It was built in the 90s using materials and designs from the original building built on the same site in the late 1800s I believe.

This is the Woodbury County Courthouse...

Sioux City, IA is not in as big of a housing rut as it seems. Because the town is so darn spread out it is hard to notice that the southeast part of SC IA is one of the fatest growing in the metro. It includes a new 200-acre community and golf club called Whispering Creek. SC's north side was actually its executive homes area (and still is) before the Dunes was built. For many, a SC IA home is the only reality for political reasons (bank president, doctor, business people, lawyers). The Dunes tends to hold more transplants and people with big money (Ted Waitt, Norm Waitt, and Bob Peterson all have/had houses here). SD has no state income tax and conservative policies to business.

South Sioux is not viewed as "the ghetto" as maybe North O or Council Bluffs are seen in Omaha. It's riverfront facing downtown Sioux City hosts the best hotel and restaurant in the metro and they are now building a new $6 million YMCA near it. South Sioux's mexican ethnic enclaves are identical to those you would see in Sioux City. They're not scary ghettos, but don't look like Regency or the Dunes or anything.

South Sioux is seen as a neighborhood of Sioux City just like the Dunes, Riverside, Morningside, Sergeant Bluff, etc. People often patronize businesses and restaurants in S. Sioux just like they would any other neighborhood outside their own. Sioux City has a very strong sense of regionalism. Everyone in the region goes to Sioux City for dining, movies, shopping. There is little to no hostility among SD, IA, and NE people as they all are part of "Siouxland"-- an identity the ecompases people from farms 30 miles miles away and Vietnamese-Americans living in Midtown Sioux City. A very odd melting pot of people in this area.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

Neat stuff - thanks for the info! :)
sokkerdewd