New Devon Tower in OKC--20th Tallest in the Nation!

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Streets, I have been trying to look up information in regards to this topic but cannot find anything online.  Do you have any links?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Look into what Richard Heinberg and James Howard Kunstler have to say, among many others.

In particular, listen to what Kunstler has to say starting at about 7:55 on this podcast. It's only 10 or 15 minutes long, and then he talks a little more later on if you're interested. But this clip kind of sums up what we're discussing.

http://kunstlercast.com/shows/kunstlercast_179.html
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
dmoor82
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dmoor82 »

pretty cool Nike commercial seen on ESPN last night after the Thunder-Magic game,it shows downtown OKC,Chesapeake arena and the Devon tower at the end!
dmoor82
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dmoor82 »

Cool flyover of dt OKC showing the Devon tower and the new Chesapeake arena lighting! [youtube][/youtube]
dmoor82
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dmoor82 »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice Shot!
dmoor82
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dmoor82 »

^^You're pic's are AMAZING!Here is another pic from http://www.facebook.com/InsightVisualMedia Image[/img]
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Looked good on tv last night during the game
Go Cubs Go
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

thenewguy wrote:Looked good on tv last night during the game
Its an awesome skyscraper, but still looks awkward in OKC.  Hopefully there will be some infill.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That really, really sticks out like a sore thumb. Beautiful building most certainly, but it does not blend it well with the surrounding area at all. I suppose in time it may fill in, but for right now it's just odd.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

MadMartin8 wrote:That really, really sticks out like a sore thumb. Beautiful building most certainly, but it does not blend it well with the surrounding area at all. I suppose in time it may fill in, but for right now it's just odd.
Perhaps, but other beautiful buildings also looked a little out of proportion with their surroundings when first completed.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Going to take a while.  OKC is not quite NYC....

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Seth wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:That really, really sticks out like a sore thumb. Beautiful building most certainly, but it does not blend it well with the surrounding area at all. I suppose in time it may fill in, but for right now it's just odd.
Perhaps, but other beautiful buildings also looked a little out of proportion with their surroundings when first completed.

Hence my qualifying comment

"I suppose in time it may fill in....."

Right now, it looks odd. If it becomes as iconic as the Empire State Building, consider me speechless. That is a neat shot of NYC, though.....saving that to my computer.... thanks!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wouldn't be surprised if OKC gets a condo tower and a new convention center hotel that goes ^ rather than <> like ours within a decade.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It will take some time.  The tower is so tall compared to the others.  Can't imagine that the if a condo tower or convention hotel is built that they will be any where close to this thing in size.   I know there are some that are height obsessed but that's the thing when you build one that is so tall compared to the others, it will stand out and look out of place for quite some time.

Greg
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I can't speak for anyone else, but that tower gets me all boned up, and I'm not even a size/height queen. |expletive|, throw it in the middle of a corn field, for all I care.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

S33 wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but that tower gets me all boned up, and I'm not even a size/height queen. |expletive|, throw it in the middle of a corn field, for all I care.

If it's not the size what is it about that tower that gets you so fired up?

Greg
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

S33 wrote:throw it in the middle of a corn field, for all I care.
It's off-topic, but I love the capitol building in Lincoln with the tall central tower surrounded by low-rise floors on the rest of the block.  It seems to symbolize Nebraska so well, with the image of a few cities surrounded by sweeping plains.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Greg S wrote:
S33 wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but that tower gets me all boned up, and I'm not even a size/height queen. |expletive|, throw it in the middle of a corn field, for all I care.

If it's not the size what is it about that tower that gets you so fired up?

Greg
It's personality. I don't know, I can't explain it. But everytime I see it, I get butterflies and my nads shrivel.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Re: New Devon Tower in OKC--20th Tallest in the Nation!

Post by almighty_tuna »

Just drove through downtown OKC. Here's a skyline shot from the cell phone.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (514.38 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: New Devon Tower in OKC--20th Tallest in the Nation!

Post by iamjacobm »

almighty_tuna wrote:Just drove through downtown OKC. Here's a skyline shot from the cell phone.
That is an incredibly attractive tower. One of the best of the decade so far.