Bannister Mall KC (was going to be the Trails)

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Bannister Mall KC (was going to be the Trails)

Post by Greg S »

Work has begun on demolition of Bannister Mall.  The Trails if fully completed will be the new home of the KC Wizards as part of a mixed use development that could almost reach $1 billion.  I actually remember when Bannister opened, how cool it was at the time.

Greg

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/994618.html
Last edited by Greg S on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I was living is St Jo Mo back in the late 80's / Early 90's  Was down to Bannister many times.  Another thing I remember from the area was the Walmart Concept store called Hypermart.  It was HUGE.  Remember when it opened and all the pub it got.   I believe it eventually converted into just a oversize super walmart.  If I remember correctly there were some departments in the Hypermart that you do not see in any other Walmart offerings.

During the time I was living in MO this is when this area seemed to start to fall.  I remember when they put guard towers in the parking lots around the mall.  A sign of what was happening and of things to come.

I haven't been in this area for some time  but did drive around there a bit about three years ago on the way back from Branson.  It was really sad.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Looks like Cerner is going to do a $4.3 billion dollar development at this site:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/09/45 ... pment.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is an incredible investment if it all happens.  Wow.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:Looks like Cerner is going to do a $4.3 billion dollar development at this site:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/09/45 ... pment.html

If that happened in Omaha, I know about 8(+) people on this site that would have a heart attack from that sea of surface parking.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Most of the comments on the article that is linked are negative
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I have to laugh at just how ignorant some of those comments are. This one

"Cerner is a health conscious company when it comes to their employee's. They would rather have their employee's walk and get the exercise than park 200 ft from the nearest door and then have to sit at a desk all day. The walk isn't as bad as it seems."

I won't even begin to talk about how horrendous that thing is. KC can keep that hahaha. It's all being TIFed anyway.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

:barf:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Axel wrote:I have to laugh at just how ignorant some of those comments are. This one

"Cerner is a health conscious company when it comes to their employee's. They would rather have their employee's walk and get the exercise than park 200 ft from the nearest door and then have to sit at a desk all day. The walk isn't as bad as it seems."

I won't even begin to talk about how horrendous that thing is. KC can keep that hahaha. It's all being TIFed anyway.
I think we pretty much TIF everything here now.

Greg
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Greg S wrote:
Axel wrote:I have to laugh at just how ignorant some of those comments are. This one

I think we pretty much TIF everything here now.

Greg
True. But I was more thinking of the other massive |expletive| headquarters that wasn't TIFed, Amazon in Seattle.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's great that Amazon is expanding in downtown Seattle without tax breaks but that's hard the norm.

The project in KC is exactly what TIF's are for.  They are going to an area that truly is blighted and has been that way for quite some time.  Many other developers have proposed projects there but none have come to fruition.  The Cerner boys do things first class.  They are a huge player in KC now and going forward.

Greg
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This ain't in my town, so I guess I shouldn't care.  But from the drawing it seems 100% exactly the wrong type of development for any city to embrace.  Acres of parking lots?  Who the heck wants to work in that sort of sterile environment in this day and age?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It will be interesting to see what the final version looks like.  These guys pay a lot of attention to design detail.  They own Sporting KC, and the soccer venue they put up in KC, the artist formerly known as Livestrong Park, is widely regarded as the best soccer facility in the US.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Re: Bannister Mall KC (was going to be the Trails)

Post by Greg S »

Sounds like final version will be much improved (and larger):

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/27/50 ... rails.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 1415889139
"Now that they're breaking ground, people will believe it," said Kansas City Councilman John Sharp, who represents constituents near the 290-acre campus Cerner will develop on the former Bannister Mall and Benjamin Plaza shopping center sites in south Kansas City.

In addition to the $4.45 billion campus development, which will generate 4,500 construction jobs and 16,000 new Cerner jobs during the next decade, Sharp is expecting a lot of ancillary development.
Burke said the 4.7 million-square-foot campus will be developed in 16 phases and will include 16 buildings. Upon completion, it will include 4.3 million square feet of office space, two data centers, a service center, a training/conference center and employee amenities, including an on-site daycare center and health clinic, he said.

In addition, Burke said, the campus will include 370,000 square feet of retail space, providing options for restaurants, stores and a hotel.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That area has been so brutal for at least the last 10 years. Nice to see such a massive reinvestment.

Greg