Project City Center - Las Vegas, NV

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bryan1117
Home Owners Association

Project City Center - Las Vegas, NV

Post by Bryan1117 »

Despite the recession striking the entire United States (which has even started to affect Las Vegas, with construction slow-downs and shut-downs happening all over the city), it is amazing to see this MEGA-project happening in Las Vegas...

They are touting this as MGM-Mirage's Project City Center, which is a Mega-Complex of Luxury Hotels, Condos and more! This project, when completed will basically be a "city within a city" with its own fire station and power plant (I told one of my friends that this reminded me of one of the Arcologies from an older version of Sim City, this thing is just immense).

This project currently has nearly 8,000 construction workers on site, and will employ 12,000 people when completed. Most of the towers being constructed are 50 stories plus, and it has some really cool art deco designs as well, with the leaning towers in the front center and the architecture around the front entrance\mall area. For more information about this project - http://www.citycenter.com.

Here are a few pictures from my weekend trip, last weekend... enjoy!

And a model at the Bellagio of the finished product, which should be completed by 2010, barring anymore accidents or shut-downs. Six unlucky souls have perished during the construction of this behemoth.
Bryan1117
Home Owners Association

Post by Bryan1117 »

Here's a few more from my Las Vegas trip this past weekend, I only wish I had a better camera than my Olympus FE-190 (next time I go to Vegas my wife and I will have a better camera in our hands)... Vegas has become my favorite city in the United States to visit...

View of the "Mid North Strip" at Sunset, looking South from the Wynn\Encore complex...

The Wynn, probably the coolest hotel I've ever set foot in... it feels like you should literally pay to enter this building... they have a $2 million chandelier inside the newer Encore luxury hotel (which just opened last year)... this is my favorite place in Las Vegas to go. The Wynn tower is the tallest hotel building to date on the strip, but the Fontainebleau, currently under construction near the Stratosphere will top it soon enough...

And my favorite view of Las Vegas- from the top of the 1150 foot tall Stratosphere Tower... a little blurry due to it being at night and a 30 MPH wind at the top, but I still got the shot I wanted.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Also worth mentioning, the will be the new worlds largest hotel, one block away from the current largest hotel, the MGM Grand.

I head there will be as many floors under ground that there are above ground.
Bryan1117
Home Owners Association

Post by Bryan1117 »

Yeah I heard about that too while we were down there. Interesting enough this will be build, if it happens, on Harmon Avenue, which is across the street where we stay at in Sin City - the Wyndham Grand Desert resort. There were many buildings that were closed and\or for sale, around this area with signs on them stating that the land was to be used for the construction of a Mega-Resort... so that must be where this thing will go.

Here a link to the story about this resort (which will be built by Africa Israel Group)... which is planned, and could start construction by 2013-2014.

http://www.4hoteliers.com/4hots_nshw.php?mwi=5428
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Was that Stratosphere shot taken from the restaurant?
Stable genius.
Bryan1117
Home Owners Association

Post by Bryan1117 »

Big E wrote:Was that Stratosphere shot taken from the restaurant?
Yeah you guessed it Big E, that was a great dinner - but a little pricey! Very cool how the whole restaurant revolves... I've never had a dining experience like that. It definitely helped the drinks take effect early if you know what I mean... my wife didn't enjoy it as much as I did (she gets motion sickness) but it didn't move very fast so she was okay... The coolest part was the way the Stratosphere rocked a little bit in the high winds just above the ground... when we went on the observation deck we were almost blown off the top... it was most disappointing that the Big Shot was closed due to the winds... I'll have to do that next time.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Actually, I didn't think the Stratosphere was bad at all price wise, particularly for what you got - and especially with the wine pairing.  There's expensive and then there's overpriced.  It was neither.

Now, the meal I had at Picasso's in the Bellagio on Thanksgiving night was EXPENSIVE.  Also probably the best meal I've ever had.
Stable genius.
Bryan1117
Home Owners Association

Post by Bryan1117 »

True, I guess I didn't take into consideration that we had plenty of drinks while we were dining... so that always make everything seem expensive. We didn't even try to get a table at a good restaurant at the Bellagio, Venetian, Wynn or Caesar's... looking at those menus I was thinking $100 per person... I think we did well at the Stratosphere, a nice $150 bill (which is a ton for Omaha, but not for Vegas at all), but like I said it was mostly booze, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, especially since they were bringing me Grey Goose Vodka and Cranberry Juice, and my wife a good Merlot... so in the end it wasn't bad, just pricey for an Omahan's pocketbook  :lol:.

The most expensive dinner we had was at a French restaurant at Paris - which was Mon Ami Gabi, that one REALLY hurt, but damn that was some good French food, and you couldn't beat sitting outside during the evening (it was a little chilly at 50-55, but not bad) and watching the Bellagio fountain show every 30 minutes on Sunday night... that was spectacular... I can't wait to go back! Next time we are going to try and catch Love by Cirque du Soleil too, that got a little rich for our blood at $140 a copy.