Impressed with Iowa City

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Impressed with Iowa City

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

My girlfriend and I were in Iowa city this past weekend visiting her folks.  I had been in the past, but had a better chance to look at the downtown area and some of the development surrounding IA City.

I was extremely impressed with Iowa City's dense, historic downtown.

Also, Iowa City (and abutting towns Coralville, North Liberty, etc.) must have some FANTASTIC zoning laws in place.  As far as suburban development goes, almost anywhere that, in Omaha, would be just a run of the mill, one-story strip development, Iowa City had two and three story, mixed-use structures.  Buildings were essentially just like your average strip mall, with restaurants and businesses, but with one or two levels of residences or offices above.  I was so impressed.  That's the type of suburban development that should be MANDATED by city governments.

I meant to get some photos, but didn't have the chance.

Has anyone else noticed this, in IA City or elsewhere? Any comments or insights?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

yeah, i've noticed that.  I love iowa city.  I'm a nebraska fan, but we make it up to hawkeye games (wife's a big fan) a few times a year, and i love going.  Their downtown is nice: lots of bars, restaurants, shops, and all are extremely walkable.  In fact, the bars are pedestrian only (in downtown, or what they call "downtown"), and it's got sort of a feel like the old market, just that it's mainly college aged people.  I think i have pictures of downtown, and the strip (highway that runs into coralville) where they have some awesome restaurants, too.  Too bad so much of it was under water this past year.  The only bad part about iowa city is that it's so far...but even still, hawkeye fan or not, you should definately go up on game days and tail gate: it's a blast!  Just be careful of the iowa river, should you go; a buddy of mine tried hopping the median from one side to the other, and didn't know there was a gap and went right in the river.  Made the papers there and everything.
Go Cubs Go
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

You should also check out downtown Cedar Falls, IA.  It is home to UNI and has a pretty cool college atmosphere in its downtown.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Linkin5 wrote:You should also check out downtown Cedar Falls, IA.  It is home to UNI and has a pretty cool college atmosphere in its downtown.
GO PANTHERS!!.  Downtown CF is very nice.  Quaint shops, bars, and restaurants.  There is also a historic hotel that is pretty.  I believe its called the Black Hawk Hotel.

I have also lived in Madison, WI.  Talk about a great town (& great state for that matter)!!  They have a great downtown.  State street is also a great mix of shops, restaurants, & bars.  They also have an awesome farmer's market on Saturday mornings that runs on the side walks around the capital.  UW-Madison campus also has a great bar patio that over looks the lake.