Detroit skyline that could been

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Detroit skyline that could been

Post by Linkin5 »

This was posted over on SSC.com and I found it pretty interesting, it is a magazine article printed in 1991 containing all of the buildings which were proposed but never built in downtown Detroit.  It makes you feel better when you think in terms of Omaha and the (in comparison) buildings which never were built or scaled down in heighth (UP, Hilton, more recently.)

Here is a link to the story:

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

the UP building was scaled down? how tall was it orginally suppose to be? and are there any old renders?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It was supposed to be 25 instead of 19 stories. There were never any public renderings.
DTO
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

oh ok well thats not a huge scaling down at least.. i would have been irritated if it was suppose to be 30 something stories and we got 19 lol.. thats a pretty interesting article.. i just looked through it and as far as i can tell NONE of the stuff they mention in the article was ever built.. which does make sense because for as big as detroit is they have a pretty lame skyline :|

-adam
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The height of the U.P. was scaled down, but not the square footage. They wanted larger square footage per floor, which was more important to their internal functions than having a building with more levels, and making a statement with height.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.