Fine Nebraska dining in SoCal

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Fine Nebraska dining in SoCal

Post by Candleshoe »

My daughter is out in SoCal right now, visiting friends and alerted me to this place:

http://omahajacks.com/

Advertised as a "Nebraska Style Steakhouse". She'll let me know if she makes it in there...  she was hoping they had Runzas. She lives in Albuquerque now and that's number one on her wish list...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Now someone from SoCal is going to come to Omaha looking for Jack's and we'll just give them a blank stare. :)
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That is awesome. I was wondering why we didn't have more steakhouses baring our name being that we are a big ranching state.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Maybe they have Tofu steaks. :) I mean Old Chicago might have the name, but they completely miss the mark.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Bump.  Looks like this place is still open, pretty awesome!
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

For what it's worth, there's a big restaurant along the Gran Via in downtown Madrid with a red and white sign that spells out "NEBRASKA".  Lots of steaks and pork dishes----looks like the place has been around a long time.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ricko wrote:For what it's worth, there's a big restaurant along the Gran Via in downtown Madrid with a red and white sign that spells out "NEBRASKA".  Lots of steaks and pork dishes----looks like the place has been around a long time.
I've heard of that!  Nebraska must sound exotic or something in another country.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:
ricko wrote:For what it's worth, there's a big restaurant along the Gran Via in downtown Madrid with a red and white sign that spells out "NEBRASKA".  Lots of steaks and pork dishes----looks like the place has been around a long time.
I've heard of that!  Nebraska must sound exotic or something in another country.
Its always a shock to be in a major city in another country and see us referenced in some upscale restaurant or fashion store.  I was in copenhagen and walked by a young women's clothing store that featured tshirts printed "Millard Phys-Ed".  They looked exactly like the gymshirts we wore in Jr. High.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

I actually lived in Rancho Cucamonga for a while but never tried Omaha Jack's.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

bigredmed wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Its always a shock to be in a major city in another country and see us referenced in some upscale restaurant or fashion store.  I was in copenhagen and walked by a young women's clothing store that featured tshirts printed "Millard Phys-Ed".  They looked exactly like the gymshirts we wore in Jr. High.
Was in a really cool antique store in Paris a few years back and spotted a poster from a Three Dog Night concert at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in 1969.  I actually remembered the concert.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

http://omahajacks.com/PDF/Storypageabsolutefinal.pdf
Well, it all started generations ago.  Jack and his family lived in a small cabin in a secluded section of
Southeastern Nebraska.  Times were tough for Jack and his family as food was hard to come by, and
the winters were bitter cold.  Jack was a farmer by trade, growing corn, wheat, barley, and a plant
that most folks had never heard of, Hops.  While most folks from that part of the country were
partial to stills and moonshine, Jack had a passion for that golden liquid that he cooked up, Beer.
Jack dedicated a small corner of his farm to growing that Hop plant, along with some other plants
that he liked to incorporate into his beer.

Jack's wife Sarah, always knew where to find him, as he seemed to be more interested in that small
plot of dirt in the corner then he was with the rest of the farm.  Jack toiled day and night, working
on finding the right combination of ingredients for that perfect batch of beer.  
Since Jack was always working on his beer, Sarah spent her time cooking, and grew to be known as
the best cook in all of Nebraska.  Sarah was a perfectionist, and the meals that she created became
famous throughout the land.  

Omaha Jack's is dedicated to Sarah and Jack, a woman that had a passion for food, and a man that
had a passion for beer.  All of us here at Omaha Jack's truly hope that you thoroughly enjoy our
carefully prepared food, our handcrafted beer, and our special kind of friendship that we call
"Omahospitality"
On thing I found funny is that their kids meal section is labeled "Lil Corn Husker".

http://omahajacks.com/PDF/NewMenuPage4absolutefinal.pdf
samizdat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by samizdat »

My friend had a job on Wall Street (He is actually an engineer, not a bloodsucking trader) in Lower Manhattan. When I picked him up, he asked if I wanted to go to a steakhouse a few blocks down, and I accepted. When I saw that it was "Nebraska, A Steakhouse" I was annoyed that I would be getting the same thing as home. Totally different experience. Place was beautiful inside, there was no one on the waitstaff or bartending that was originally from America, and the steaks were a whole lot more expensive. When the waiter, Albanian Mike, found out I was from Nebraska, he flipped out. "That's my next vacation, I need to see where all the wonderful people come from. I love New York, but I want to see Nebraska." "You know when WE beat Michigan? We killed em' man, 17 to 3! We ran all over em'. They can't play football in Michigan, they can't block, and they probably can't make a great steak either!!!" "This is the best steak you'll have outside of Nebraska." He knew pretty much every game score from the past 10 years and claimed to have them all on "tape".
So, he gave me free pints of beer for being a Nebraskan. The more I drank the more I leered at all the beautiful Eastern European bartenders. The guy sat at our table, invited other waitstaff and patrons over, traded stories... He yelled "This guy is a Nebraskan and he is a cool dude!!!" and people actually clapped, and I think sincerely, but it is New York, so you never know. Closest I've ever been to being treated like a celebrity. And I'll tell you what, I've been drunk off the power ever since.
Oh yes, the steak was $50, but was terrific. I was drunk so anything would have been great. No hashbrowns and mostaccioli unfortunately.
http://www.nebraskasteakhousenyc.com/
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=Neb ... 0983497960
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I teased my wife that I was going to wear Wranglers with cowboy boots and a pearl-snap shirt when we went to NYC for new years.  I had to drop the plan on account of her saying she wouldn't be seen with me, but maybe should would have changed her mind if she heard your story!