Schlitterbahn-New KC Waterpark

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Schlitterbahn-New KC Waterpark

Post by nebugeater »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:You have to wonder if as horrible as deaths like this are they end up selling more tickets to amusement parks and carnivals. Half the fun or mystique of climbing into these rides is that in the back of your head you know there is a chance you could die a heinous death. Here it is the end of the summer and millions of people will be making a last dash to these amusement parks before the season is over and every single one of them will be talking about this water slide death on their drive to the park. Every other kid in Jr high school and high school this fall will be boasting of the bravery they exerted over the summer as they risked their lives riding those roller coasters and thrill rides. People getting hurt and killed on these rides kind of feeds the beast inside of us instead of causing us to pause and maybe realize those rides are not worth it. We humans are crazy animals! :yes:

I am glad I do not agree with this.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:And it turns out he was only 10. From what the reports say minimum age for the ride is 14 and to be 54 inches tall. Very sad story on the heals of the Disney World tragedy.

Greg

I have read reports that it started out with a age requirement of 14 but that was dropped for only the height requirement after year 1. Doesn't make it any better though. I wounder how you could police an age requirement anyway on any ride at a water park? Height, sure, all you need is a board with a mark on it but age will be dodged all the way if they are tall enough.

We all would have to be kidding ourselves and guilty of being shills for the amusement ride industry if we are ready to blame this poor kids death on his age or size or because he snuck on or the guy running the ride did not check his age. It should not matter how old the kid was or how tall he was. No ride should be that dangerous and any other line of thinking is warped and lacking common sense. I saw an interview with a guy who must of weighed 220 pounds that said when he was riding that raft down the chute and his velcro safety harness popped off in the middle of the ride and he hung on for dear life. He said he told the staff afterwards and they were like yeah that sounds scary and went on about their business. This company will be sued into the dirt and rightfully so. That slide should be torn down now.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The Verruckt is officially going to be torn down.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Garrett wrote:The Verruckt is officially going to be torn down.
If you read the press release, they're very careful to say the slide will be taken off the stair tower. I would assume another slide of similar size will take its place shortly after that one is taken down...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Schlitterbahn did not reopen this summer. According to news accounts in KC it may be about to be sold.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... s_headline
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Somedude »

This project is coming along. I've heard this is on track for a Q3 start.

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Is that crystal lagoon going to be the same as the one that was built in the Dallas suburbs project?
Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Somedude »

I can't speak to that one.