Worlds of Fun - Kansas City

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Worlds of Fun - Kansas City

Post by Greg S »

The Prowler.  I love wooden roller coasters.

http://www.kansascity.com/936/gallery/1174193.html
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ah! That looks awesome! It's great to see new wooden roller coasters still being built.

Gosh, WoF keeps getting better and better. They could give Omaha a third of what they have, and you'd have two AMAZING parks.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can't wait to get back down there!
Brad
City Council

Re: Worlds of Fun - Kansas City

Post by Brad »

Worlds of Fun will be closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays in June due to an employee shortage.

Worlds of Fun limits days of operation due to staffing shortage

https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/w ... 1e18a.html
BETSY WEBSTER, KCTV5 wrote:“While we continue to ramp up our recruiting efforts,” it read, “we must adjust our operating calendar based on the availability of seasonal labor.”

One recruiting effort involved a raise in pay. On June 4th, Worlds of Fun announced ride operators and “food and beverage ambassadors” who are 16 and older will start at $15 per hour.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow that is crazy...$15/hr to work at an amusement park.

I am glad that they are trying though.

We were thinking of going to Adventureland for the first time in 20 years at some point this summer and I noticed that they are only open till 5 or 6 on most weekdays in June, with TBD for July's calendar.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great news! Worlds of Fun is bringing back a new version of the Zambezi Zinger in 2023! The layout seems very similar and while the rendering video doesn't have the trunnel, apparently the real thing will. Can't wait to get back down there.

Hopefully a new version of the Orient Express is next!

rendering video:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I read where there was a brawl last weekend at Worlds of Fun, involving over 100 young people. Police were called to try to break it up. As I recall numerous arrests were made.
As a consequence the management of the park has instituted an immediate change of policy, now requiring anyone 15 or under to enter in the company of an adult over age 21. I believe this policy is only in effect during evening hours, and requires any unaccompanied youth in the park earlier in the day to leave the property at 5 pm.
Sad it has come to this, but it’s very smart for the park to get ahead of this problem before it starts to bleed their attendance numbers.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I read that too, so sad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hope this doesn't effect the park in a negative way. We went there in July and had a blast!

Kansas City's 'Worlds of Fun' owners merge with Six Flags

https://www.wowt.com/2023/11/02/worlds- ... six-flags/
wowt.com wrote:KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - Cedar Fair, the parent company of Worlds of Fun, has announced a merger with Six Flags.

The merger means the group will now operate 42 amusement parks and 9 resort properties across 17 states, Canada and Mexico.

The announcement was made Thursday morning.

The merger was unanimously approved by the Boards of Directors for both companies.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was wondering the same thing. I have obviously visited Worlds of Fun, also Cedar Point in OH, and ValleyFair in the Minneapolis area(all run by Cedar Fair) and they are all great. I just hope that this is good news for the parks.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

From my perception I’d think Cedar Fair has the nicer parks, especially with how revered Cedar Point is amongst coaster junkies
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Worlds of Fun will not change its name as part of the merger.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

Cedar Fair will own 51-52% of the company. Six Flags will have the rest. This means all the parks will keep their names and run as usual. They mentioned the merger will help drive down their supply chain costs for concessions. Also, an ultimate season pass would give you access to all the parks in their portfolio.