Denver

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Denver

Post by thenewguy »

Alright, I'm planning a trip for my wife and i (for a few days) to Denver next month.  I want to stay downtown, because naturally that's where many attractions are.  I'm looking online, and so far the things i want to try doing are:

1.  Denver Zoo (to see how it stacks up)
2.  Downtown Aquarium
3.  Denver Museum of Nature & Science
4.  A brewery...or 2
5.  Denver Botanic Gardens
6.  Elitch Gardens

What am I missing?  Anything?  I'm not planning on renting a car, since they have light rail there (i assume it runs to the airport?)  I don't know that we'll get to go to the mountains, because my wife is pregnant and she wants to keep it somewhat low-key...and mostly indoors since she overheats like a '67 Buick with no radiator hose.

You guys know the good stuff, don't let me down! :;):
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You spend the days in the MOUNTAINS....  Nights in the Brewery's!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Hmmm...  my only grown-up trip to Denver completely revolved around food and booze.  Not really conducive to entertaining a preggo wife.

I can highly recommend staying in the Magnolia in DT Denver, though.  Very close to the shuttle on 16th, which will get you all over, including Lodo and Larimer Square.

Double check the light rail from the airport to DT.  If I recall it was a CRAZY long ride time-wise, and we ended up taking a shuttle.  Things may have changed since we were there, though.

If you're artsy-fartsy at all, they have a great district of galleries south of downtown, but it's a very long walk - again, probably not high up on the list of the knocked up.

Since that was all absolutely no help whatsoever, you're welcome.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Double check the light rail from the airport to DT.  If I recall it was a CRAZY long ride time-wise, and we ended up taking a shuttle.  Things may have changed since we were there, though.
I was thinking the same thing and I put an Email in to Eric (Zephyr) since he works for rtd.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Denver

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:Alright, I'm planning a trip for my wife and i (for a few days) to Denver next month.  I want to stay downtown, because naturally that's where many attractions are.  I'm looking online, and so far the things i want to try doing are:

1.  Denver Zoo (to see how it stacks up)
2.  Downtown Aquarium
3.  Denver Museum of Nature & Science
4.  A brewery...or 2
5.  Denver Botanic Gardens
6.  Elitch Gardens

What am I missing?  Anything?  I'm not planning on renting a car, since they have light rail there (i assume it runs to the airport?)  I don't know that we'll get to go to the mountains, because my wife is pregnant and she wants to keep it somewhat low-key...and mostly indoors since she overheats like a '67 Buick with no radiator hose.

You guys know the good stuff, don't let me down! :;):
based on your profile photo I would take in a Rockies game if the schedule allows.  Was at a game in Denver for the first time last summer and really enjoyed the stadium.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I recommend taking the SkyRide from the airport because it would save you money from renting a car and it sounds like everything else you have planned you could easily do on transit.  Here is the SkyRide page on our website:
http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyRide_SubHome.shtml
They have a sales counter in the airport; this page shows a map (at the bottom) in addition to where the buses stop:
http://www.rtd-denver.com/HowToRideSkyRide.shtml

Of course, if you took Amtrak instead, you would end up right in downtown!

I suggest looking for hotels in the Tech Center, southeast of Denver along our newest light rail line.  They have some good deals on weekends when the business folk are gone and you could find one with complementary breakfast.  For example, my parents like the Wingate, just west of Arapahoe Station, a 10 minute walk.  Try using Google Earth to check hotels near the light rail stations.  Of course, if you really want to stay downtown, it is a lot of fun but will cost a little more.  At least if you don't have a car, you don't have to worry about paying for overnight parking!

For breweries, I highly suggest the Wynkoop right across Union Station.

You might also enjoy the Denver Art Museum, which is on the south end of downtown.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote:Hmmm...  my only grown-up trip to Denver completely revolved around food and booze.  Not really conducive to entertaining a preggo wife.

I can highly recommend staying in the Magnolia in DT Denver, though.

If you're artsy-fartsy at all, they have a great district of galleries south of downtown, but it's a very long walk - again, probably not high up on the list of the knocked up.

Since that was all absolutely no help whatsoever, you're welcome.
haha it helped.  i do enjoy art very much so, and i'm going to see what kind of public transit there is that could get us around.  I was actually thinking of staying at the Magnolia because of the one here, and i hear the one in Denver is nice :P
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i didn't think of a Rockies game!  I'll have to do that.

Also, looked up Wynkoop Brewery, and that may very well be part of the agenda!  Thanks guys!

And Brad (or anyone), what are some good mountain trails (just in case) that aren't too difficult?
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If you can get there - the Rocky Mountain National Park is cool. There is a trail to Nymph, Dream and Emerald Lakes starting from the Bear Lake Trailhead. A drive up Trail Ridge Road will take you to the Alpine Visitor Center at 11,800.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Speaking of Denver, I have been meaning to bring up the numerous billboards around the city advertising Denver. I think I've seen at least 3 or 4.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

what are some other good hotels?  I am looking online, and though the magnolia looks awesome, i also don't want to go broke in the process :)  Hotel VQ looks nice, sheraton looks ok, residence inn...

Have any of you stayed at any downtown, other than the Magnolia?

So many descriptions say '[x] miles/blocks from the 16th street mall' and same for LoDo.  I want to get a downtown hotel not far from attractions, so some of the less expensive ones may be out of the question if they are too far off the beaten path.  How is the 16th street mall & LoDo?  And i want to check out the mint---how far from downtown is it?
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Last time I stayed DT Denver was at the Brown Palace - the bed was first class. I can't remember the name of their restaurant - but the food was exquisite!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Speaking of Denver, I have been meaning to bring up the numerous billboards around the city advertising Denver. I think I've seen at least 3 or 4.
I have seen them too!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:what are some other good hotels?  I am looking online, and though the magnolia looks awesome, i also don't want to go broke in the process :)  Hotel VQ looks nice, sheraton looks ok, residence inn...

Have any of you stayed at any downtown, other than the Magnolia?

So many descriptions say '[x] miles/blocks from the 16th street mall' and same for LoDo.  I want to get a downtown hotel not far from attractions, so some of the less expensive ones may be out of the question if they are too far off the beaten path.  How is the 16th street mall & LoDo?  And i want to check out the mint---how far from downtown is it?
IF you want to check out the mint make sure you make your tour reservations well in advance.  Last year when we were there it was imposable to get a tour slot for any of the days we were in Denver and we were trying to reserve a tour 6 weeks in advance.
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

I was in Denver last April and you can tour the Coors Brewery for free.  No joke.  However, I think it's about a 20min. drive from downtown Denver.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I'm still trying to convince my wife to hit up the coors brewery.  She said she isn't sure, since she can't drink.  I told her i didn't care, that i'd have one in her honor (didn't go over well).  Anyway, is there much going on in Colorado Springs that would make it worth a drive down?  She's got distance family there (that i am not overly excited to visit), and wants me to meet them.  She insists there's a ton to do there, but i can't imagine it'd be more than Denver.
Go Cubs Go
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Air Force Academy -- Garden of the Gods -http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm  Pikes Peak  --- There was a large outlet mall in Castlerock -- halfway between Denver and Colorado Springs.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'll add 7 falls and the drive up Pike's Peak to the Springs to do list. Outlet Mall???? Playoffs???  :lol:
nebugeater
City Council

Colorado Springs

Post by nebugeater »

Went to the Olympic training center in Col Springs last August.  Went with pretty low expectations since it was advertised as a free tour.  It ended up being pretty neat.  Got a guided tour from an athlete in training to some areas of the grounds.  When that was complete there were some parts of the facility that you were free to wander and look around on your own.  There is plenty of the history on display.  Planned on an hour to an hour and a half there and ended up spending over three hours at the center.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

the1wags wrote:I'll add 7 falls and the drive up Pike's Peak to the Springs to do list. Outlet Mall???? Playoffs???  :lol:
Seven Falls  +

Don't forget the Royal Gorge.   If I was picking between the Royal Gorge and Pikes Peek the Gorge will win hands down.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:I'm still trying to convince my wife to hit up the coors brewery.  She said she isn't sure, since she can't drink.  I told her i didn't care, that i'd have one in her honor (didn't go over well).  Anyway, is there much going on in Colorado Springs that would make it worth a drive down?  She's got distance family there (that i am not overly excited to visit), and wants me to meet them.  She insists there's a ton to do there, but i can't imagine it'd be more than Denver.

Coors Tour.  So So in my opinion.  If you have toured Bud in St Louis then to me the tour was a disappointment based on that experience.  Lot of time invested for a free beer or three.  The Tour was OK and even interesting to our two kids that were with but it will not be a stop that I repeat next time I am there.  TOO many other things to do.  Lot of waiting time to just get started on the tour too when we where there.

Found it funny that there was a bar across the street fro the parking lot for the tour that was VERY PROMINENTLY promoting Bud products.  It was very obvious that Bud was funneling some heavy promo $$ to them.