Kansas City/Omaha Comparison

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

What City Would you live in if you couldn't live in Omaha?

Kansas City
12%
St. Louis
6%
Denver
29%
Tulsa
3%
Dallas
6%
Minneapolis
44%

Total votes: 34

KansasCityCraka
New to the Neighborhood

Kansas City/Omaha Comparison

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Here is just a comparison of Omaha and KC

Kansas City

442,768 in city and 1,971,911 in metro
17 metro cities
164 high-rise buildings
11 Buildings over 100 meters
Tallest Building: One Kansas City Place 193 m, 632 ft, 42 floors

Omaha

404,267 in city and 829,133 in metro
5 metro cities
53 high-rise buildings
2 Buildings over 100 meters
Tallest Building: One First National Center 193 m, 634 ft, 45 floors
Kansas City Population:

452,496 in city
1,981,639 in metro
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

My choice isn't on that list. I choose Chicago first! But otherwise, Kansas City if I had to choose from the list.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Where's Minneapolis? That's my pick, then KC.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

I'd go with Minneapolis, then Chicago, then Des Moines. None of mine are on the list.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Des Moines is my first pick of course, then Minneapolis, then Chicago...but if I had to pick...Denver.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

Umm, I think Fremont is missing from your list. :wink:
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

What's with the ongoing obsession comparing KC and Omaha?! Some of you KC forumers just don't seem to quit... and frankly, it's making some of us on this forum and others a little aggravated. First off KCC, you're using totally different shots of both cities in your pictures.. doesn't surprise me.. we'll let you keep your chest puffed out - maybe you'll grow those few hairs you've wanted. Wow, story of the day, KC has a bigger downtown/skyline. So what?! I like KC, but you don't need to continuously shove things in our faces.. it gives you a bad rep. Sure, it's fun to compare cities, but when some you say things like the only superior thing Omaha has over Kansas City is the zoo, it's absolutely un-real.

I chose St. Louis because it reminds me more of Omaha than any of the other aforementioned cities. Also because it has more of a dense, urban-city feel. Let's face it, half of 435 is out in the sticks and was built for a metro twice the size of Kansas City. KC has too many freeways running through it, only adding to the isolated/segregated feel. No, not in all parts, but in many. You wonder why so many people feel Omaha's more urban than KC. Get over it. We're climbin up the heirarchy and you guys are startin to feel the heat... hence all the Omaha/KC comparisons and rivalries. It's kind of funny b/c some of you KC guys dream bigger than anyone's ever dreamed.. it's always I want this or KC needs to do that because we're twice as big as Omaha and there's no reason why our zoo should be worse than theirs, etc etc. Step off it fellas.. be proud you have an up-and-coming city to the North. I think it'll be interesting to see what shakes out in the next 5 years. We're comin though...
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

the picture of the cranes remind me of how ugly kemper is from the outside.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Leave it to the feds to use 6 tower cranes to renovate a low rise building and build a parking garage.
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

what is going on lately? all this hate. I think it was started by old Joemoney crashing our site. We're hardly the ones with all the obsession...

eomaha....those 6 cranes are constructing a mass "campus" but none of them are there for a parking garage.

it's funny one crazy KC guy comes on here to post some flame bait and 15 omaha guys pile on about how much they don't like KC or what's wrong with KC.

my advice is ignore it....like we tried to do to joemoney which started this little regional war. if STL had a good forum we could get them in the mix.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Oh isn't that nice...he added Minneapolis! LOL
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Must be a full moon.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

So would the KC solution be to remove the entire thread?

(I'm having trouble finding those Joemoney posts :D )

Of course you know as well as I do... that the KC Omaha 'fascination' existed LONG before Joemoney visited the site. A simple keyword search will attest to that. Try looking up KC here... and you won't find the kind of derogatory remarks repeatedly made by our counterparts.
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

most of his comments were made in our shoutbox, one post in "general kc" (I think I have the transcript if interested :) )

not sure how to respond to the rest of that. I don't see as much KC people posting on here as I do omaha people posting on KC's site....that could be part of it?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think there's one KC forum member who is in a class all by himself with regards to unprovoked bashing of Omaha (not sure what his motivation is)... and looks like he's made a stop in 'Des Moines' as well.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Yes he sure has...LOL We should just close that thread. Kansas City doesn't really come up often on our threads (absolutedsm.com). Someone must of flipped their trigger...especially when you mention Minneapolis...LOL

There was already a post about which cities people would rather live in other than Omaha...here are those results:

Which city would you live in?
Chicago
23% [ 5 ]
Minneapolis
19% [ 4 ]
Milwaukee
0% [ 0 ]
St. Louis
0% [ 0 ]
Kansas City
14% [ 3 ]
Des Moines
19% [ 4 ]
Denver
14% [ 3 ]
Lincoln
9% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 21
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

actually MPLS doesn't even register on our radar. they are a fine peer city to take some advice from but it's not something me lament over.

I'd be fine with closing all these threads but hasn't it made all our forums more interesting :twisted:

the thread on absolutedsm I responded to said nothing of KC until someone else brought it up????
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I said KC forum member... not KC discussion. I assume trailerkid must originally be from Sioux City or something, as I notice he posts regularly on the subject. Perhaps that explains some of his seeming resentment of Omaha. I guess now calling KC home... he feels some need to be critical of smaller cities.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

I laugh.

First off I would change my vote to Minneapolis instead of the big D. No 15 ppl started bashing KC in here, one guy made a small comment about why he perfered St. Louis over KC, big deal, get over it. What's the deal with KC folks wanting to make Omaha look bad anyways? Jealous that our city is finally goin somewhere and getting more attention then it's own. KC is a great city but to me it's just Omaha's big brother. We'll always look up to it, but do we actually wanna live there not really.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Also note how he made sure he got the best shots of KC and an outdated, not the best angle of Omaha.
KCPowercat
Home Owners Association

Post by KCPowercat »

trailer lives in Lawrence.

papio...let's not make generalizations from a couple members. 99% of our members love omaha and love to see it succeed. Nobody wants to "make it look bad".
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Joe money has nothing to do with this forum, but he is the reason for its popularity (scaring numerous people away from the chamber forum). The funny thing is, though he seemed so pro omaha in his posts on the KC forum, but yet he is so anti everything in the omaha forum. He just did that to upset you guys off. I dont see why so many of you took it personally.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

KC is a nice city, but it's not a place I'm yearning to live. From that list, I'd choose Minneapolis. My favorite Midwest city is Chicago, though.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I would vote for Dallas first and Minneapolis second. I wouldn't say that KC is our big brother. I would compare Omaha to Minneapolis or Dallas as the "Big Brother"
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

DMRyan, Where's Wahoo? Aren't you going to plug your favorite city? 8)
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

and where does this guy get 5 metro cities? Lets see:
Bellevue, Council Bluffs, Papillion, La Vista, Springfield, Gretna, Blair, Plattsmouth, Elkhorn, Valley, Fremont, Wahoo, Arlington, Ashland, Waterloo, Bennington, Irvington, and the list goes on.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

projectman wrote:DMRyan, Where's Wahoo? Aren't you going to plug your favorite city?
Wahoo is west of Omaha on 92 and in 1996 succeeded Grand Rapids as the home office to David Letterman's top 10 list.

Larry King Show wrote:KING: Now I'm ticked.

LETTERMAN: What's the matter?

KING: Okay, the last time you were on this show, a caller called in, a nice caller, and he said, "I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and we'd love to have you make the home base Grand Rapids, Michigan."

LETTERMAN: Right.

KING: And you said, "Done."

LETTERMAN: That's right. I remember that. Absolutely.

KING: That night you made it Grand Rapids.

LETTERMAN: That's right.

KING: Why have you deserted Grand Rapids, for what, Wahoo?

LETTERMAN: Wahoo, Nebraska, Wahoo. The whole thing started innocently enough, or so we thought, because I'm the kind of guy -- you know, a lot of people in this day and age, 1996, the middle of May -- we're looking at a long hot summer here -- a lot of people in this country now are the kind of people that just say "Wa," you know what I mean, Larry? I can tell by looking at you, you're a guy that just all you can really cough up on a good night is "Wa," unless you're talking about something of great interest, like dinner plans after the show.

KING: You're bugged by that, aren't you?

LETTERMAN: Well, I just found it interesting.

KING: I was thinking beyond the show. It bothered you.

LETTERMAN: Just before we went on the air we saw Larry throw a huge temper tantrum.

KING: I did not.

LETTERMAN: Knocking over lights and monitors and screaming at interns and stormed off to the limo. I had to go down personally and coax him out of the car to get him back here.

KING: All right. "Wa."

LETTERMAN: Yeah. A lot of people just say "Wa." To me, you know, they don't care. If you're just saying "Wa," you don't really care. I'm the kind of guy that says, "Wahoo, Wahoo." You know what I'm driving at?

KING: Wahoo. This is a reason to --

LETTERMAN: So when I started saying this on the air -- now follow me on this if you can. Go ahead. Feel free to make notes. We started getting calls from Wahoo, Nebraska. I guess I had heard of Wahoo in the past, but was not familiar with it, and they said, "Dave, what are you talking about? We are Wahoo. We are the Wahoo city. Please move the home office." And we did. We opened it up to a contest of graft. Send in whatever you want from Grand Rapids if you want the home office there, send in whatever you want from Wahoo if you want the home office there, and it turned out that we ended up going to Wahoo for no particular reason, other than that we had been in Grand Rapids for over a year, and now we are in Wahoo and we couldn't be -- we get a tax break and we get better parking in Wahoo. So that's where we are now.

KING: Are the citizens nice to you?

LETTERMAN: Oh, yeah, yeah. We are treated like royalty in Wahoo, absolutely.

KING: Did Grand Rapids --

LETTERMAN: I'm looking at buying vacation property there, you know, like Ted Turner's got that four million acre ranch in Montana.
Last edited by Coyote on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Someone please get me photos of this Wahoo. I have to make a pilgramage to this place before I die.

And Coyote, your new nickname is Lycos. You are a walking web encyclopedia with all this information you always find.
Please change you Coyote picture to this:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

She is not my type. :wink:

DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

It's beautiful. Say if you don't mind, I'd like to use your new creation as my next avatar...that is unless you want first dibbs on it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

DMRyan,

It's from http://www.wahoo.ne.us

I'll let you bargain with their copyright lawyers. :(
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Well in that case,
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

I guess I just don't understand whats so "special" about KC. KC is a great city don't get me wrong but its hardly a place that people grow up saying "When I get older I am moving out of Omaha and going 3 hours away to KC." and Vice Versa. They are both great cities and honestly I don't see the point of fighting about a city whether it be between KC and Omaha and Omaha and Des Moines. Who really cares? But really everyong knows Omaha's tallest building is taller than KC's :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Hahaha, good joke! Omaha with 5 metro cities? LOL, get out of town. That is too funny.

*thumbs-down and fart noise*
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I think the guy listing cities in the metro was mainly meaning suburbs of Omaha. Most of those cities mentioned aren't suburbs or continuous with the city at all. One isn't even incorporated! They may be in the MSA, but that's about it. I would consider Omaha/Council Bluffs suburbs as being the following: Bellevue, Ralston, LaVista, Papillion, Elk Horn, and maybe Gretna (it's getting there). The others are bedroom communities.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I look at bedroom communities and suburbs as the same thing. Just because they don't touch Omaha city limits doesn't mean they aren't a suburb.

Besides his category was "Metro cities". Omaha's metro consists of 8 counties, 5 in Nebr and 3 in Iowa. He is getting his information right off of Skyscrapers.com which is incomplete.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I remember soing this on the KC site. I picked Minneapolis.

I think KC is ok. I went down there 4 times in August with in a 2 week span. To me KC is just a bigger, bit more run down version of Omaha.
DTO
Mike
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mike »

Out of these, I picked Denver, a very nice city. Plus they host some of my favorite sports teams, an important factor for me. :lol:
KansasCityCraka
New to the Neighborhood

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Welcome to the site MIKE!
Kansas City Population:

452,496 in city
1,981,639 in metro